Ambient temperature readings

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts
Default Ambient temperature readings

My 991 TTS has begun to display external temperature readings that are generally 20 - 25 degrees F higher than the actual temperature. My wife and I went to dinner in Denver over the weekend, and the display showed 110 degrees, while it was probably 80 - 85 degrees outside.

Any ideas what would cause this? Is there any way to reset or calibrate the temp sensor?

I had the car serviced at my dealership recently to replace a defective horn. This repair required the removal of the front bumper cover. Could the dealer have possibly done something to the sensor? That's what I'm thinking....
Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My 991 TTS has begun to display external temperature readings that are generally 20 - 25 degrees F higher than the actual temperature. My wife and I went to dinner in Denver over the weekend, and the display showed 110 degrees, while it was probably 80 - 85 degrees outside.

Any ideas what would cause this? Is there any way to reset or calibrate the temp sensor?

I had the car serviced at my dealership recently to replace a defective horn. This repair required the removal of the front bumper cover. Could the dealer have possibly done something to the sensor? That's what I'm thinking....
With other models the sensor clips to the grill in the passenger side radiator opening.

Probably as an unintended consequence of the bumper being removed I suspect the sensor has come loose and has fallen down to the floor of the radiator duct opening and could be up against the A/C condenser.

Before you head back to the dealer look inside the radiator duct for the sensor. If you spot it loose take the car back to the dealer with this complaint and have the sensor reattached to where it belongs.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks Macster. I'll have a look today to see if I can find the sensor.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:23 PM
SFTTS
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? Ironically, I had my 2014 991.1 TTS in this past week to fix an issue with the horn and now my car is reporting temperatures 20F higher than it really is outside.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yes, it was the issue that Macster mentioned above. My sensor was dislodged from the mounting clip. Once the sensor was returned to the proper position, the temperature gauge worked properly again.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:19 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Interesting, my car does the same thing. I complained to the dealer and they said it was working normally, yet the problem persists. Sounds like I got a wall job from the dealer. I'll take a good look at my grill area to see if the sensor is dislodged. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:38 AM
SFTTS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Yes, it was the issue that Macster mentioned above. My sensor was dislodged from the mounting clip. Once the sensor was returned to the proper position, the temperature gauge worked properly again.
Great. I'm hoping to get my car back over to the dealer this week to get this fixed.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2020, 11:50 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The sensor should be a little plastic nozzle-shaped thing like the picture below... On my 996 Turbo it clips into the passenger side radiator opening, I assume it is simlar in the 991 Turbo but would have to go take a look. More obvious if it's there than if it's missing...

Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 AM
SFTTS
Track Day

Finally got this fixed this week - sensor fell out of it's bracket.

Quick Reply: Ambient temperature readings