Sponsored by: Road Spy

New owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts
Default New owner questions

I've been following the thread for a long time waiting for the right 991 to come along. And i found it! 2017 rhodium silver TTS. Traded in my manual 997 in and now I'm in a car nearly a decade newer. I miss the manual transmission but the 991 is extraordinary.

I had a couple of questions that I didn't see in the forum. I apologize if they are already covered.

1- can I use any Porsche trickle charger, and is it ok to use the passenger footwell lighter socket for this? I don't have the smoker package so no center console socket.

2- is there a sport exhaust setting or does it just come on in sport mode? Is there a sound symposer in this car?

3- how do I access the g-force menu? I don't seem to see it in the display rotation.

4- what should I use to clean the interior and seats? I have ventilated seats and don't want to mess them up.

Silly stuff I know, but everything about this car rocks. Thanks in advance for your help and I'm happy to be part of the community!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I went from a 12 991C2S to a 15 TTS. 1. My aftermarket trickle charger is hooked directly to the battery so I can't help with that one. 2. No sport exhaust setting, and no sound symposer. 3. On mine the G-force meter is in the display rotation. 4. I use Griots interior cleaner with no problems so far with seat ventilation.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:51 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz

3- how do I access the g-force menu? I don't seem to see it in the display rotation.

4- what should I use to clean the interior and seats? I have ventilated seats and don't want to mess them up.
3. You may need to go to the Vehicle Settings and enable it in the PCM menu.
4. I use Zaino. I turn the car on and have the ventilators going as I clean them. Spray a brush and apply, then wipe off the suds.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Good idea to have the vents going while cleaning. I'll have to check out the sub menus for the g force - right now I have a torque chart.

Is there any difference with trickle charging a regular vs AGM battery? I assume the connection (direct or lighter socket) won't matter much with trickle.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Good idea to have the vents going while cleaning. I'll have to check out the sub menus for the g force - right now I have a torque chart.

Is there any difference with trickle charging a regular vs AGM battery? I assume the connection (direct or lighter socket) won't matter much with trickle.
Get a good quality charger like a Ctek, which I believe is the Porsche charger and that will look after the charging automatically.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Helpful stuff. Thanks!

I am using the basic Porsche charger and fwiw it worked perfectly in the passenger well lighter socket. I don't have the smoking package.

On the menu stuff I finally realized that even though I can make the changes in the menu, they don't save after the car is turned off unless I save the settings to the key via the door buttons before I shut off the car! Was frustrating to see the settings reset every time until I figured that out.

One more thing. I fitted a front license holder (have to in ny or big tickets). It is screwed into the tow hook bolt via a kit because I didn't want to drill holes in my bumper. But I may give this up as (1) it doesn't look great and (2) it blocks my front parking sensor so I have to turn it off every time I drive. Serious first world problems. Anyone have thoughts?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I went from a 12 991C2S to a 15 TTS. 1. My aftermarket trickle charger is hooked directly to the battery so I can't help with that one. 2. No sport exhaust setting, and no sound symposer. 3. On mine the G-force meter is in the display rotation. 4. I use Griots interior cleaner with no problems so far with seat ventilation.

A service adviser at my local dealer (Porsche of Nashville) told me when seat ventilation is on, it is actually sucking air around your body INTO the seat. Porsche cautions against getting seats too wet while cleaning the leather to AVOID moisture going into the seat. You guys may want to confirm this and leave the seat ventilation off when detailing the interior.

As for chargers; I have used a CTEK/Porsche trickle charger via a cigarette lighter/power port on my 997TT, 991C4S, and 991TTS all without any issue.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

This is the charger I use.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

One more thing. I fitted a front license holder (have to in ny or big tickets). It is screwed into the tow hook bolt via a kit because I didn't want to drill holes in my bumper. But I may give this up as (1) it doesn't look great and (2) it blocks my front parking sensor so I have to turn it off every time I drive. Serious first world problems. Anyone have thoughts?
It was probably illegal but in a past Ducati I resolved an equivalent issue by trimming the plate itself... at first around the perimeter (margins of the plate, far away from the numbers) to fit it behind my seat and later I drilled an unusual shaped hole in the blank space adjacent to a letter or number on the plate to create pass-through clearance for a key. I sold the bike before I was pulled over with it so it never got me into any trouble. I'd wonder if front plate rules are typically enforces more leniently and you could get away with that. If you do it carefully and get pulled over at some point you could probably make a decent case on the basis of safety and talk your way out of a ticket.

Then again, around here a decent number of sport bikes run around with obscured plate installations such as a plate under the seat so it's visible/readable only when the rider hops off and the suspension is unloaded. I clearly wasn't trying to obscure the plate to prevent reading it so perhaps I owe my lenient experience to their more egregious faults.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Ironically it's not so much a problem when you're driving (missing front plate) but they get you every time you park! The meter maids seem very up on which car owners can afford a ridiculous ticket. If your car looks pricey they find a reason . . .
Old 06-20-2017, 10:31 AM
carguy84
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

2. On my 15 Turbo S, the sport button definitely changes the exhaust. Same with my 14 Turbo S I had. Without the sport button on the exhaust won't burble and crack off throttle.

Quick Reply: New owner questions