Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Starting to wonder....

Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 PM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to wonder....

I LOVE my 2014 Turbo S cab! That being said, I am starting to wonder what it would be like to own an Aventador, Huracan, or even the new McLaren 720s. Anyone have thoughts or experience? Worth the switch? I would even consider a California T. Just wondering.....
Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 Turbo S Cab and love it. I did cross shop all of these.

I originally planned to go Huracan Spyder (they were just being released). Unfortunately, I'm 6' 4" and did not fit (although I fit fine in the coupe). The seats in the Spyder are ~1-2" closer to the wheel, way too close for me to be even remotely comfortable.

The car seemed well built and I've heard great things about them. One potentially negative affect would be the attention factor vs the 911's more "subtle" appearance/sound.

I then sat in an Aventador Roadster. Surprisingly, I fit perfectly. Beautiful car, loved it. Almost pulled trigger on this, but was turned off with the manual roof. We live in FL and rain showers occur often and happen quickly. The convenience of the power roof won out.

I've never been in love with McLaren as I find it very difficult to differentiate all of their models. Sure, the P1 stands out, but the others all look the same to me. The interior is also very tight. I fit, but just barely... Not very comfortable. It would definitely be a Point A to Point A car.

No regrets based on my intended use.

I have considered adding another car to the stable. In that case I might look a bit more exotic, but I would not consider these as a daily driver.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what you want out of it? A great daily driver that can run with any of those leaves only the TTS. I think reliability and quality is better as well. If you want the looks, the head turners and the chicks, the others (except the Cali T) probably are a better fit. That said, those in the know always seemed to acknowledge me on the roads in the TTS. The others do certain things well, the TTS does all of em very well. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! Lol
Old 06-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Great article in this month's road and track on the 720S. Looks great, priced right at 288K base for what it is. Not sure I would actually buy, since every time I try and buy another car I wind up buying another Porsche, but man that McLaren is nice.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,714 Likes on 4,753 Posts

I have plenty of seat time in the Huracan.

And, to be honest with you, it might be my favorite car that I have driven or owned under 300k. And this includes the 458/488, 570S, 991 GT3/RS and the 991.1 TTS.

It's just fantastic. If I owned a TTS, and got that itch, I would pony up the extra money and trade in the Porsche for the Huracan. Yesterday.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 PM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Lambo nailed it with Huracan! I remember when I did a test drive and I was blown away.

I saw the Performante this morning...just WOW!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 AM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

Better than a few year old Aventador?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:59 AM
derf
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

Can anyone here that has owned a Huracan tell me about the A/C because I live in very hot desert climate and Porsche A/C is hard to beat!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdbonedoc
Better than a few year old Aventador?
Eons.

Just the gearbox alone makes the Huracan a better driver's car than the Aventador.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by derf
Can anyone here that has owned a Huracan tell me about the A/C because I live in very hot desert climate and Porsche A/C is hard to beat!
It's no better or worse than the 911 A/C.

In fact, it might actually feel better as there's less cabin space/volume to cool because it's mid-engine (so no back seat area).
Old 06-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbonedoc
I LOVE my 2014 Turbo S cab! That being said, I am starting to wonder what it would be like to own an Aventador, Huracan, or even the new McLaren 720s. Anyone have thoughts or experience? Worth the switch? I would even consider a California T. Just wondering.....
Owned a Huracan in Mantis Green. Great car. Sounds awesome. So exotic and got the looks. Fun car but didn't feel like a daily driver. Two seater. AC was great. But I'm a Porsche guy through and through. To each his own! Loved McLaren as well.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

Anyone with new California T experience?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not just starting to wonder... I'm seriously considering a Huracan.

I have a few friends with Aventadors and they are trying to sway me, however I like the Huracan.

I don't drive my cars much and while my 2015 Turbo S is awesome I think I want something else.
My friends who own the Aventadors also own Turbo S cars and say the Porsche is still much better.

I'll be test driving soon and will update.

Sorry no experience with California T.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Very different cars. I don't think they are interchangeable like that.

I got the 991.2 Turbo to use as a daily car and it is the best daily car you can get with super car performance to match.

Nothing beats an Aventador in terms of road presence, looks and sound. Number 1. I've have never had more attention in any car other car- that isn't necessarily a good thing, then again, if you buy the flagship Lambo, you need accept everything that comes with it. Performance wise, other than being really fast in a straight line, it isn't anything spectacular- and it isn't meant to me.

But they aren't practical to drive daily- hard to drive, vision isn't great, you can't park them everywhere, gearbox is fun but savage when shifting, not much storage space at all, roadster is manual (only takes a few mins to take the top off but still).

Instead of the Huracan, consider the r8, essentially the same car, without the Italian suit. Cheaper, looks good in its own way and is the top of the range (whereas the Huracan will always be the cheaper Lambo that doesn't have scissor doors). Apparently a more practical daily too.

488 is an amazing car the you may want to consider too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting to wonder....