Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Driving with spoiler extended

Old 06-04-2017, 12:37 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts
Default Driving with spoiler extended

I know this is considered a rookie move, but I love the way the car looks with the front spoiler deployed. It gives the front end just the right amount of aggressiveness. I have my Individual mode programmed for Sport mode with spoiler extended.

Here's the question. When I have the car parked for longer periods of time, I retract the spoilers. I typically drive the car in 0 mode until it warms up, at which point and move it to my Individual mode. So the spoilers aren't extended indefinitely.

Mechanical empathy suggests that using these things is better than not. Conversely, keeping them constantly deployed is asking for trouble with the hydraulic seals in the rear spoiler and wear on the air bladder up front.

I think I'll be ok, from a general wear and tear standpoint, doing what I'm doing. I was curious about thoughts/practices from other TT/TTS owners.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:48 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also run the O mode during the warm up, then if I am in the city or local roads I switch to S, so the spoilers all retracted. I generally only switch to S+ when on the freeways, or during some 'fun' driving when the roads and traffic allow. I have a 991.2 TTS Cab.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I find the response to be far too sharp and the fuel milage to go down considerably in S+ mode. Not to mention any kind of pavement seams etc. really jar me in PDCC mode. That's for track and very quiet back roads, IMHO. It'd have to be a very good quality road to make me want to use S+ just to drive around on a regular basis.

Also, I have done some experimentation and the car loses about 10% of its mileage with the spoilers in full attack mode. However, in high side winds, the car sits down and tracks straight, so I will use them in that circumstance.

On track, it's a no-brainer. But I do find that PDCC makes the rear a bit too stiff for the best launches in S+ mode. I spent about $100 in rubber as a result, the other day. Not mad.

But in the end, it's your car and these cars are not about practicality, they're about the experience, so if you love how it looks, do whatever blows your hair back.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 06-04-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-04-2017, 02:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Well what I'm doing is using the "I" mode. I have it set up for regular sport response but with spoilers deployed. I agree Sport+ is too aggressive for normal driving.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:13 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I also run the O mode during the warm up, then if I am in the city or local roads I switch to S, so the spoilers all retracted. I generally only switch to S+ when on the freeways, or during some 'fun' driving when the roads and traffic allow. I have a 991.2 TTS Cab.
I'm in this camp, but instead of using S+ for the freeways, I use S and deploy the spoilers.

To the posters above who said they find S+ too aggressive, it should be noted that there is a dramatic difference between S+ on 991.1 and on 991.2. The 991.2 S+ mode is more usable because it can switch from cruising to time-attack, whereas the 991.1 S+ mode is incapable of cruising. This is one of the reasons I would love to upgrade to a 991.2 when the price is right.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I use S and deploy the spoilers about 90% of the time. I retract the spoilers when I'm parked.

I have a 991.1 though, and stealthpilot is right, S+ is more or less unusable in daily driving unless you are shifting manually (in auto, it appears to hang to redline in every gear regardless of throttle position).
Old 06-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Well what I'm doing is using the "I" mode. I have it set up for regular sport response but with spoilers deployed. I agree Sport+ is too aggressive for normal driving.
My set up as well. We have speed bumps in our neighborhood, so I retract on ride home (as it would scrape otherwise and this is my preferred method rather than using the front lift function) and when parked in our house garage.

I tend to leave extended when I park elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I leave mine extended most everywhere. If it eventually wears out because of that I'll be surprised but just have it repaired.

I use S over S+. S+ is aggressive but usable in manual mode, but the turbos are constantly spooling and that is enough to draw some mechanical empathy from me when I'm just cruising on the freeway or down the street in no hurry. It's pretty neat to have the car showing 1-2 psi when I coast down the road though, and keeping boost after shifts is also great.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. Individual mode with sport and spoilers extended. Most of the time, i drive in sport with spoilers retracted. I use I mode when i go to car meet or find myself on some nice roads. Car is equipped with front axle lift, so don't need to retract the spoiler a lot.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I ran with splitter deployed on my 991.1.... until this:

It's ~$4k to repair.
Be careful..
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I usually just let the car do its thing automatically. The exceptions are when on a track or when encountering strong crosswinds and feel the need for added downforce. Sometimes I will deploy them on a backroads spirited drive when I'm fairly confident of clearances. I just had to change out the rubber piece due to damage, and yes, it's expensive. The part alone is around $1700 (non-S) or $1900 (S). The only difference in the two parts is the logo so you're paying $200 more for it to say "Turbo S" instead of "Turbo"!

BTW, I damaged mine when it was NOT deployed. The rubber lip when retracted stays down beneath the car somewhat to manage airflow. I went over a cement parking block held by rebar that protruded upwards. The rubber lip caught it and ripped a piece out.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I ran with splitter deployed on my 991.1.... until this:

It's ~$4k to repair.
Be careful..
What happened here? $4k...ugh

Originally Posted by Need4S
I usually just let the car do its thing automatically. The exceptions are when on a track or when encountering strong crosswinds and feel the need for added downforce. Sometimes I will deploy them on a backroads spirited drive when I'm fairly confident of clearances. I just had to change out the rubber piece due to damage, and yes, it's expensive. The part alone is around $1700 (non-S) or $1900 (S). The only difference in the two parts is the logo so you're paying $200 more for it to say "Turbo S" instead of "Turbo"!

BTW, I damaged mine when it was NOT deployed. The rubber lip when retracted stays down beneath the car somewhat to manage airflow. I went over a cement parking block held by rebar that protruded upwards. The rubber lip caught it and ripped a piece out.
I wish Porsche had just utilized a rubber lip like on the GT cars. Couple hundred bucks to replace - basically a disposable piece.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

What happened here? $4k...ugh
I was driving on a secondary highway "at speed" and it scuffed on a dip in the road and peeled apart.

I wish Porsche had just utilized a rubber lip like on the GT cars. Couple hundred bucks to replace - basically a disposable piece.
I agree to a point. It's still nice to have the ground clearance our Turbo cars give to us.... But at a couple of hundred bucks each, I had a collection of stock GT3 lips as well GT3 Cup lips for my GT3.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 06-07-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:12 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Well, that design creates another issue - the black lip is sitting on top of a splitter-like bottom part of the front bumper. So if it's more than scrape of the lip but something bigger, the splitter catches on it and bends or breaks off completely. Mine got torn off - $15K repair (new bumper - a fortune, some mounting hardware, paint, headlight cleaner hoses that got damaged by bumper moving, clear bra replacement).
Old 10-07-2017, 04:04 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

For the owners who have had their cars for a while, what is your overall opinion of driving extended time with the front lip down? It appears from I've read that it's an expensive part to replace. My next question isn't it a warranty part up to a certain mileage ? Just trying to get some input on the 991.2 Turbo to see if this is one area that Porsche has made improvements upon or at least has reinforced the quality of material and installation to prevent routine wear. The retractable front spoiler has been my only contention with owning the new Turbo S. My previous 997 Turbo had a fixed front lip spoiler, that was very durable, that never wore, but yes you could scrape it on low entrances. I only did it once, but always had a spare already painted just in case in happened again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving with spoiler extended