Sponsored by: Road Spy

Which wraps are recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 AM
905doc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wraps are recommended?

The dealer was telling me about a 3m clear wrap that covers the hood and mirrors, anyone get it done on theirs? I have to decide today cause I'm taking the car out of country next week. Else I could eventually get it done in the states.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:47 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 905doc
The dealer was telling me about a 3m clear wrap that covers the hood and mirrors, anyone get it done on theirs? I have to decide today cause I'm taking the car out of country next week. Else I could eventually get it done in the states.
Better to get it covered sooner than later. No sense covering up scratches and chips after they've occurred.

Had mine covered with Suntek before delivery with what's called a "track wrap" covering all leading edges, even though it won't likely see much track time.

Porsche: wrap options
Old 05-11-2017, 03:49 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the best wrap right now is the Suntek PPF Ultra. You should get it done ASAP. These cars can get marked up very quickly since they are so low.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
905doc
Advanced

Just got it scheduled for Monday morning, won't dare to take it out of the garage before then
Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Doing the paint repair for most of the car parts now. Just promised to myself to leave it stationary for 2 weeks once the repaint is fully completed and after 2 weeks to do the complete Suntek wrap. Once it is done it will see the roads not a singke day earlier.

A strong advice: leave it without motion unless it is protected. Otherwise it will make no sense to do it later.

I am doing it now for my wife's car and I am happy with the result already. Suntek provides excellent result.

Last edited by kart driver; 05-11-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:04 AM
905doc
Advanced

They're recommending a front wrap only as they say that is were the damage usually occurs, is it better to do the whole car or just front? Also if I opt for front only does it take away from the cosmetic appearance of the paint? (sapphire blue metallic) will it look weird front to back with only half on?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

They're recommending a front wrap only as they say that is were the damage usually occurs, is it better to do the whole car or just front? Also if I opt for front only does it take away from the cosmetic appearance of the paint? (sapphire blue metallic) will it look weird front to back with only half on?
Obviously a full body wrap provides more protection, however a front wrap should cover 99% of the risk. I only have a front wrap and have no paint chip anywhere after 2 years.

Remember the roof is glass so I have no wrap there. and the doors are unlikely to have a rock impact. To me the main benefit of a full body wrap is to protect you from being keyed.

What I usually do would be:
  • Whole Hood
  • Whole Fenders
  • A Pillars
  • Mirrors
  • Rockers
  • Rear spoiler

911 already has stone guards on rear quarter panel so that isn't necessary.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:36 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Don't let a dealership do it.

Choose the installer, not the film. The installer's skills are more important than the actual product used. A skilled installer will be using a quality product.

Before you do PPF, you should have the paint corrected. Then, final step would be a quality nano coating on top of the PPF.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 PM
chico1977
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LexVan

Choose the installer, not the film. The installer's skills are more important than the actual product used. A skilled installer will be using a quality product.

Before you do PPF, you should have thpaint corrected. Then, final step would be a quality nano coating on top of the PPF.
Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Obviously a full body wrap provides more protection, however a front wrap should cover 99% of the risk. I only have a front wrap and have no paint chip anywhere after 2 years.

Remember the roof is glass so I have no wrap there. and the doors are unlikely to have a rock impact. To me the main benefit of a full body wrap is to protect you from being keyed.

What I usually do would be:
  • Whole Hood
  • Whole Fenders
  • A Pillars
  • Mirrors
  • Rockers
  • Rear spoiler

911 already has stone guards on rear quarter panel so that isn't necessary.
Hi i Would Remove the stone chip guard and Install the PPF for a cleaner look
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM
905doc
Advanced

Ok sounds good about getting it only half covered but it won't look awkward when compared to the back half will it?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM
chico1977
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LexVan

Before you do PPF, you should have the paint corrected. Then, final step would be a quality nano coating on top of the PPF.
Ok sounds good about getting it only half covered but it won't look awkward when compared to the back half will it?
As for me I didn't do it when the Car was New I already have Stone Chips.Im going to send the for Paint touchup than I have decided on a Full Body PPF
Old 05-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I only use Xpel clear wrap. I've had it on many cars over the years, and performance has been excellent. The installer is the key. It's more expensive, but worth it to me. You cannot tell what panels have been done and which have not, especially from 10ft away.

I do just the entire front end (bumper/spliter, hood, both fenders), the rockers, the mirrors, A pillars, and a 10" strip along the leading edge of the roof line. I also remove the Porsche OEM in front of the rear wheels and do a larger piece, all the way up to the air intake. Depending where you are, this should cost $1800 or so, but I hear its 2-3x the price in California. Don't bother with the whole car.

PS - I track often.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by chico1977
Hi i Would Remove the stone chip guard and Install the PPF for a cleaner look
No don't do this...I did and the film ( I used Expel I think) is not as resilient as the factory stone guard and although it takes the impacts it shows them..I think the factory guard is harder material...I'm going to order new guards from Suncoast and replace them..
Old 05-12-2017, 07:06 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nanook
No don't do this...I did and the film ( I used Expel I think) is not as resilient as the factory stone guard and although it takes the impacts it shows them..I think the factory guard is harder material...I'm going to order new guards from Suncoast and replace them..
I think my installed removed it (claimed it yellowed on a Agate grey car?) and placed the ceramic pro over it. Maybe a new stone guard is in order.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:49 PM
905doc
Advanced

appreciate everyone's advise!

Quick Reply: Which wraps are recommended?