AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much for the information

Located in Miami Florida
Old 02-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Mufus
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see. You are planning in doing the upgrade ?

Here are some pictures with the turbo S after the facelift

i have added some Techart carbon parts. Also the exhaust was replaced with full de cat iPE , stainless steel, bmc air filter, h&r lowering springs, and Techart powerkit. However, i will replace the powerkit with proper flash software from mcchip-dkr.com.

here is my email address andrei@project85.ro

let me know if you wish to proceed and i will assist you all the way.

We

The following users liked this post:
GCAM991 (07-18-2023)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM
quentin888@gmail.com
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you

Looks amazing
Old 02-09-2018, 04:19 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

It's too much money. Plus the car is worth more with original body parts and paintwork. This would make sense if your car was in an accident and they needed to replace these parts anyway, but otherwise you'd be better off putting this money towards a new car. These days the spread between a used 991.1 and a 991.2 is $20-40k depending on what car you have.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealthpilot:
john45in (05-26-2021), MotoJB (01-23-2020)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Mufus
Advanced

who cares these days about the original paint ? we are living in modern days, and these cars will have some colectible value in 30-35 years. It is absurd to presume that you can keep a car who can go to track, and has this degree of everyday usability, in mint condition. I respect the people that drive these cars like a mother****er and not keep them with low mileage, just to have some value at some point..

And regarding the facelift modifications, i think it is the same case as in modifying the car in any way. it is worth more in stock condition ? i don t think so.

think about this scenario: you have a 2014 turbo or turbo S, in this case, turbo S , with 30k km on the clock. Ceramic brakes, brown interior, black paint, aero kit. Lots of extras. You got it for a good deal.

Why would you sell the car, and wait for another , when you can have the facelift done by a good shop, and keep all the upgrades you allready installed ?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufus
who cares these days about the original paint ? we are living in modern days, and these cars will have some colectible value in 30-35 years. It is absurd to presume that you can keep a car who can go to track, and has this degree of everyday usability, in mint condition. I respect the people that drive these cars like a mother****er and not keep them with low mileage, just to have some value at some point..

And regarding the facelift modifications, i think it is the same case as in modifying the car in any way. it is worth more in stock condition ? i don t think so.

think about this scenario: you have a 2014 turbo or turbo S, in this case, turbo S , with 30k km on the clock. Ceramic brakes, brown interior, black paint, aero kit. Lots of extras. You got it for a good deal.

Why would you sell the car, and wait for another , when you can have the facelift done by a good shop, and keep all the upgrades you allready installed ?
Because if you spend $30k to buy a used 2017, it will cost you less in the long-run than spending $16k changing the front and rear end of the car. This is simple common sense.

Basically to break even the difference in value between a 14 and a 17 would have to be less than 20k and I don't see that happening for at least a decade.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 02-10-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

People have been facelifting Porsches for years. This is nothing new. I don’t have any problem with it, especially if it uses OE parts. That said, I prefer the look of the 991.1 lighting over the 991.2. The 991.1 lighting looks a bit more special than the 991.2 lighting to me, especially the front. I think they’re both nice, but I don’t see myself spending the money on a facelift for my car.

Its interesting to to watch how design elements age on cars, especially lighting. I remember when the 997.2 cars launched with rear LED lights. They looked very modern compared to the 997.1. Many people did rear facelifts, or bought aftermarket LEDs for 997.1 cars. Nearly ten years later, the 997.2 LED tail lights look very dated (especially the aftermarket versions). I prefer the classic look of the incandescent lighting found on the 997.1.

Time will tell how the 991.1 and 991.2 lighting ages, but they will both undoubtedly look “old” in the next decade.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Mufus
Advanced

this is well sumarised. And you are right. But , in the 997 there was a significant diference: from regular bulbs to LED, from the shape of the 997.1 lights to the one of the .2. In this case, the diference is not that revolutionary and of such significance. Both LED, both shapes similar. and yes, both will take the test of time. And will see how we will feel about them.

until then, i would enjoy the car in both variants. Personally, i like the 991 series in both options, but i would make the facelift if i have the chance.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Good point on the 997 cars - it was a technology upgrade as well as a visual upgrade. That said, I still prefer the look of the 997.1 turbo tail lights over the 997.2. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Mufus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Good point on the 997 cars - it was a technology upgrade as well as a visual upgrade. That said, I still prefer the look of the 997.1 turbo tail lights over the 997.2. I guess I'm old fashioned.
i also like the 997.1 ligths, they feel right with the car. In that case, i would not make the upgrade. i would keep it like that.. I guess every model has its own character. and everyone apreciates it in its own way.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

thanks for this - basically it really isnt any more work or complication at all compared to 997.1->997.2 conversions

if you have any more photos to share re the specific details re the conversion process, i would love to see them!

thank you in advance.

yes, complete new rear bumper, including intercooler side grilles, and rear diffuser.

you will encounter a few issues:

taillights fixing screws have different holes, and you will use only one screw instead of 2. But it is ok.

you will need to trim a little bit the bumper mounting brackets that hold the corners of the bumper, or you could buy the new ones. I trimed them.

you will also need to trim a little bit from the air ducts of the intercoolers, the inferior part, where the lower grilles come. Easy to do it.

front turnsignals and rear ligths are plug and play. Have the same couplings and dont throw any errors.

for aerokit cars, everything is the same, so , you can keep your original aerokit.

however, i recomend the full facelift, because it is easy to do it, and the car will not look weird.

parts and labour was around 8000€ for full facelift.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
I reckon they killed it.

Subtle changes are all you want and the new taillights look amazing.
yup, they kill it every time re their update. the .2s always seem like such a cleaner cohesive modern improvement every time. they certainly are hiring the right designers at porsche.

Last edited by myw; 02-11-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Mufus
Advanced

i dont have specific pictures, but, i will make on the next project.

However, if you decide to do it, i can help you every step of the way: part numbers, schematics, and what i have learned by doing it actually. Just let me know.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thanks in advance. Ive done 997 conversions and have helped a few friends re 997.2 conversions as well ... planning on doing the same in due time re 991. with that said I've already seen oem parts on eBay come up re 991.2 turbo - based on what i've seen the conversion would be all in at least with todays current used parts prices about 5-6k usd re parts + labour, that is of course before selling oem parts off.

question mufus, what about the dynamic front spoiler under the front bumper of the car (the one that extends at speed? does that need to be changed as well?

i dont have specific pictures, but, i will make on the next project.

However, if you decide to do it, i can help you every step of the way: part numbers, schematics, and what i have learned by doing it actually. Just let me know.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:36 AM
Mufus
Advanced

it will cost you more than 6k usd. You will have to buy parts new, from the dealer, as not that is required you can find it on ebay, because the car is too new yet.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo Tail Light upgrade.