Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Thanks to our great brakes...a near miss (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/988816-thanks-to-our-great-brakes-a-near-miss.html)

Nanook 05-05-2017 01:41 PM

Thanks to our great brakes...a near miss

Thank-you Dr. Porsche for the excellent ceramic brake performance...anything less and this would not have turned out well.. I'd say a certain write off

pashaj 05-05-2017 02:21 PM

That's crazy.
I admire how mildly you responded. I would have cursed up a storm.

kart driver 05-05-2017 04:44 PM

That's what you pay for!

It is funny when some people say: Why spending so much money for 911 when you can buy other cars for half a price having cimilar characteristics.

P.S. You should be a very calm person. I would have reacted in a completely different manner )))

LexVan 05-05-2017 04:56 PM

Very glad nothing happened.

But, it appears you are going much faster than the other cars in your lanes. PCCB's are great brakes, but they don't stop any faster/better than the steels.

Lots of bad drivers out there. Be safe.

stealthpilot 05-05-2017 08:23 PM

That was excellent.

Of course Dr Porsche is long gone and I think you can thank Brembo and Porsche for choosing Brembo.

Nanook 05-05-2017 08:39 PM

Yes of course Dr. Porsche has left us long ago..:)...on another note the car performed admirably..you can hear the antilock grinding hard... also a testament to running top notch tires..

kart driver 05-06-2017 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by stealthpilot (Post 14163337)
That was excellent.

Of course Dr Porsche is long gone and I think you can thank Brembo and Porsche for choosing Brembo.

Don't forget that the engine is in the right place. It also gives a better stopping distance.

TB993tt 05-06-2017 08:37 AM

Your roadcraft was poor there, driving too fast compared to other traffic, you undertook two vehicles and the second one was shielding your car from the guy who was turning so he couldn't see you hence he made his turn based on what he could see which was traffic coming towards him at a much slower speed - may technically be his fault but you should take more care IMHO :)

NVRANUF 05-06-2017 08:39 AM

CODE: BROWN!!!

:burnout:

LexVan 05-06-2017 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by kart driver
Don't forget that the engine is in the right place. It also gives a better stopping distance.

Explain this one.

goofballdeluxe 05-06-2017 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 14162787)
But, it appears you are going much faster than the other cars in your lanes. PCCB's are great brakes, but they don't stop any faster/better than the steels.

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 14164171)
Your roadcraft was poor there, driving too fast compared to other traffic, you undertook two vehicles and the second one was shielding your car from the guy who was turning so he couldn't see you hence he made his turn based on what he could see which was traffic coming towards him at a much slower speed - may technically be his fault but you should take more care IMHO :)

This ^^^

He drove poorly, but you're not gonna win Great Driver Of The Year either.

Be safe out there :cheers:

Nanook 05-06-2017 03:26 PM

Hey guys I don't dispute I was enjoying a nice spirited spring cruise (just got the car out of storage) in my Porsche...everyone who never drives over the limit please sit down !!

And I never dissed the other driver that made that daring turn...or even cursed them..

Again ..we all test the situation at times..sometimes making poor decisions ..right or wrong

I simply voiced my appreciation for how well the car reacted to the situation

goofballdeluxe 05-06-2017 03:39 PM

Hey, I'm not really dissing you.

Just suggesting there might be better places/conditions to work your brakes and engine out than hastily approaching an intersection with cars blocking other's view of you, that's all.

You have a really nice $200K car; so lots to lose. I would just hate to see you crash it in a completely avoidable situation. In that situation, your dashcam would have proven your guilt in causing the accident as much as his, had you hit. Even better not to need to test the car's reaction to situations like that that can be avoided.

Enjoy it in good health :cheers:

MaxLTV 05-07-2017 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 14164171)
Your roadcraft was poor there, driving too fast compared to other traffic, you undertook two vehicles and the second one was shielding your car from the guy who was turning so he couldn't see you

Actually, it's not the case - the car that made the left turn was visible the entire time since the 1st second of the video, and if you can see the other driver, your car is not shielded from them. It's obvious from the video that there was a clear libe of sight the entire time and the a-hole who turned left could see the porsche before deciding to start the turn. Also, overtaking in the middle lane cars that are in the left lane is normal and necessary on such roads, because left lane is for left turn, which requires slowing down to stop. So everyone has to account for that.

I once was a witness in a crash in similar circumstances. A driver saw another driver in the oncoming left lane slowing down for a left turn and thought that the other driver was being courteous (an idiotic thing to do on the road - being courteous rather than following rules kills) and letting them by. So he/she took the turn and ended up being t-boned by a light truck going normal speed in the middle lane.

Drivers do tend to tunnel focus on the nearest car. So passing near an intersection in indeed more dangerous than elsewhere, but not doing so is impossible on roads with left turns. The only fault lies with the dumb-ace who pulled the left turn.

SamboTT@ByDesign 05-08-2017 12:55 PM

Really glad everything worked out and everyone is safe. It's not like you were flying down the road and this type of stuff happens all the time. I agree we have fast cars and we should be careful no doubt. I think this could've happened at any speed and it could be argued that was a line of sight or not. The point is that it happens and sometimes drivers just don't pay attention. So we have to be alert. I know G and he is as cool headed and experienced an exotic driver as I have seen. It can really happen at any time and good brakes definitely help which is why Porsche installs them and not just on track cars. Appreciating the brakes is right!