Sponsored by: Road Spy

Dealer joyriding my car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 PM
gsc
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer joyriding my car??

Looking for some advice. My rear tire gets a flat and dealer installs a new tire for me. While in service, I am notified my 2016 has a service campaign of the coolant so I inform them to proceed.

My vehicle has front and rear dash cams and when I have the car delivered to me, I notice the following

1. 30 driven miles

2. Front and rear dash cams both disconnected

3. Brakes are squeaking.

I reached out to my service advisor and he states the miles are from driving the car to ensure no air in the coolant lines. He did say that the dash cams being disconnected are unacceptable and they will investigate. I requested a call from the service manager and still nothing.

What do you guys think of my situation?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Tom Truong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF???
Old 05-04-2017, 11:36 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gsc
Looking for some advice. My rear tire gets a flat and dealer installs a new tire for me. While in service, I am notified my 2016 has a service campaign of the coolant so I inform them to proceed.

My vehicle has front and rear dash cams and when I have the car delivered to me, I notice the following

1. 30 driven miles

2. Front and rear dash cams both disconnected

3. Brakes are squeaking.

I reached out to my service advisor and he states the miles are from driving the car to ensure no air in the coolant lines. He did say that the dash cams being disconnected are unacceptable and they will investigate. I requested a call from the service manager and still nothing.

What do you guys think of my situation?
I think it is pretty clear what happened. It's interesting but I find that the Porsche dealers here in Atlanta barely road test the cars. Usually even for an issue which warrants a road test they do less than 2 miles non highway.

Usually when you don't trust the people at the dealership (issue I had with BMW) I usually request that only the service advisor be allowed to road test the car. This prevented any abuse in that case.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:38 AM
hami
Instructor

I've caught mine doing launch control once and now I have my blackvue connected and on during all service visits using an external battery and connected via external WiFi. It captures both front / rear and voice recording. Now can stalk the car via WiFI when it's in the service bay or if taken for a ride!!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 AM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That's ****ed up.
Disconnected dashcam? WTF?
And they used up the brakes too??
That is ****ing illegal.
If they don't give a response, i would call porsche north america, 1-800-porsche
You should get a free brake check or even replacement.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Not cool, but probably not a big deal either. Those brakes will clean themselves up with a little street driving.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:42 AM
porsche42
Racer

Not good. I would definitely contact Porsche. They knowing disconnected the dashcams, why did the SA talk right then to the tech that drove the car.

I just had new tires put on my car. The tech "test drove" the car without my knowledge. First, I would have liked to go with him and drive it, secondly they did it without asking. I don't care whether they drive Porsches all day, that car is mine and cost close to $200k. I learned my lesson.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hami
I've caught mine doing launch control once and now I have my blackvue connected and on during all service visits using an external battery and connected via external WiFi. It captures both front / rear and voice recording. Now can stalk the car via WiFI when it's in the service bay or if taken for a ride!!
Pardon my ignorance, but how are you connecting it to an external wifi? What network is the Blackvue connecting to when you are not present (assuming your phone is the hotspot)?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pashaj
Pardon my ignorance, but how are you connecting it to an external wifi? What network is the Blackvue connecting to when you are not present (assuming your phone is the hotspot)?
I just purchased a Blackvue DR650S and they now have a Cloud feature that allows you to see a live feed of your cameras on your smartphone no matter where it is. All it takes is a mobile WiFi hotspot used through your existing wireless carrier.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:06 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I just purchased a Blackvue DR650S and they now have a Cloud feature that allows you to see a live feed of your cameras on your smartphone no matter where it is. All it takes is a mobile WiFi hotspot used through your existing wireless carrier.
Thanks...I'm getting the same Blackvue installed next week. So I'd have to buy some hardware, plant that somewhere and feed off that? I'm reliant on the battery of the hotspot as well as its presence? I guess I could see/hear the tech move the hotspot until it's out of range for the cam to feed off of. Just thinking aloud...

Thanks again
Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 PM
hami
Instructor

I have external hotspot (battery about 10hrs) which I keep in the car and have an compact external battery pack (last 20+hrs, don't use car battery) for the blackvue/ cloud feature to access the status of the car front and rear cameras as well as sound recording. Perhaps a little over the top but given the car I think worth the investment, great for anytime you are away from the car.

Quick Reply: Dealer joyriding my car??