Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2018 991.2 TTS configuration help - me too! And some questions.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 991.2 TTS configuration help - me too! And some questions.

Hi all. I know there are many config threads but don't want to step in anyone's feet. I currently have a September slot which I'm working on getting a sooner one, but nonetheless putting together my build. I've attached 2 ideas below and want to make sure you experts chime in before I make a mistake.

A few comments to help the peanut gallery.

1. Burmester- I have it now in my 2016 991.1 TTS coupe. Quite frankly it's just ok. Nothing compared to the Burmester in a prior 2015 MB S550 coupe. Not even close. Thinking of saving to cash and putting it towards having Nick at Musicar build me a system or at least heavily upgrade the Bose via his build and my local installer (whine he knows) or fly him down. I heard that burmester was upgraded for the 991.2. Haven't heard it or compared. I'm using 1440kbps source material now and again, it's ok, not blowing me away
2. I'm not looking to go nuts with options. My current build, and I bought it used, is $189,xxx, has the Burmester and metal sunroof and ventilated seats. That's about it. I'm happy with that. I realize if I'm spending $198,000, why not $210,000. Well, resale for one. I won't keep it but a year or so and switch to a 992 very probably, or something else. Also don't need to spend that much. To make me happy.
3. I'd love the natural leather in espresso/cognac but with my choice of gt silver, it's not common nor does it go quite right. I have agate exterior now and like it a lot but maybe a change. Considering Barrera white as well and that might work. I built in one of the builds the Bordeaux/black. Problem is my wife has it in her c4s cab. Not normally a red guy but it's nice.
4. I'm a litttle confused on deviated stitching. I'd like the extended stitching option ($3500) and don't need much more but correct me if I'm wrong. I figured gt silver stitching on black leather or possibly yellow
5. I kind of like the yellow gauges and chrono to blend with the calipers. Not sure how that looks or if it's overkill.
6. For me, leather steering column and the few extras aren't necessary. Nice but where does it end.
7. No need for front lift unless it will affect resale.
8. I like the multifunction steering wheel which I don't have now.
9. Chose the exterior skirt and apron/air vents option. Should be a winner
10. Aerokit - other then the tail, and as long as I'm painting the skirts and rear, I think it's a very very expensive option for what you get. If it was carbon, perhaps. Don't need the downforce. Not tracking it and if I do it would be for fun once or twice with a pro.

I really love the car. Drives so nice. I understand the .2 is even better. I may add some exterior carbon fiber bits down the road, maybe.

Appreciate your feedback all.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ5BS3Z8

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ5CJMB6
Old 05-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Silver and black is a classy combination. Most of your other choices are purely personal, so I'm not sure others' opinions will be very helpful. A few comments, though.

1. Everyone raves about the Burmester, but only your ears can tell you if it's worth it or not. You already have it on your present car, so you already know. I also think I'd rather have Nick's upgrades, though.

2. I think most "personal choice" options will not be recovered in price at resale, so spend only if your really like and must have them. These are things like extra stitching, mirror colors, etc.

3. I actually think that espresso/ cognac would look good in silver, but black is good, too, and it's really your personal taste that matters.

4. You should try to find a car with silver or yellow stitching to see if you can live with the glare on the windshield. As to the color choice, I like silver better than yellow stitching for your car.

5. Yellow gauges and chrono is a personal choice. Many Ferrari's have a yellow tach, and look good. But that said, you can't see the yellow gauges and the yellow brake calipers at the same time, so really it's up to you.

6. Agreed

7. Agreed. I've never felt the need for a front lifter on this car. You might if you lower it, but the design at stock height is pretty driveway friendly. Necessary on a GT3 with its greater front overhang, but not on a TT(S). I doubt it will affect resale if you don't have it.

8. Agreed.

9. Nice.

19. Agreed.

Good luck and post pics of the real car once you get it!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Thanks Need4S. Yeah the Burmester just isn't the best system many have claimed it to be. Maybe the 991.2 upgrade changed that and I'd like to find out what changed but while its not bad by any means it's no audiophile grade system, car or not.

I didn't realize the yellow or silver stitching reflects on the windshield. That could be an issue for me. I'll try to see one. And yes espresso/cognac on silver can work but I don't think it's ideal and especially for resale.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

If you get the stitching, get the seatbelts to match, available in silver or yellow.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

I think unlike for other 911 models, the lack of Burmester in the Turbo will hurt resale.

And having said that, installing an aftermarket stereo system will hurt resale even more.

But, if resale is not an issue, and if audio quality is important to you, then aftermarket may be the most viable option.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

@ipse dixit- you bring up a valid point. That's something I'll have to give more thought too regarding the stereo. Of course if I did add Nick's tweeter upgrade or other they would all be fully reversible back to stock. Headunit will remain PCM. Resale is important to me.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:59 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Ok here's my current build. Critique?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJG6D1W6

im still debating black or natural espresso for interior. The stitching options are getting expensive very quickly. I think some stitching is nice, no need to go overboard
Old 05-13-2017, 03:00 PM
ericparent
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
Ok here's my current build. Critique?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJG6D1W6

im still debating black or natural espresso for interior. The stitching options are getting expensive very quickly. I think some stitching is nice, no need to go overboard
Sick build. I think that it's pretty complete. Deviated stitching could be in yellow if you wanted a bit more color and make it your accent color, but chalk will look classy as hell too. I would keep the inside black as you're going for a nice combination of white and black. High gloss seems like a good idea here as it will contrast really nicely with the white, and match the black sunroof.

can't wait to see pictures.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:46 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Me too on the pics and the car. Do t think I'd go yellow this build but would've if doing a white exterior for sure. Although, let me put it on the visualizer, it might just work nicely. Black leather is an obvious and easy choice, I'm wondering if the espresso would be too rich or really doesn't belong on this car.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,195 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Hi all. I know there are many config threads but don't want to step in anyone's feet. I currently have a September slot which I'm working on getting a sooner one, but nonetheless putting together my build. I've attached 2 ideas below and want to make sure you experts chime in before I make a mistake.

A few comments to help the peanut gallery.

1. Burmester- I have it now in my 2016 991.1 TTS coupe. Quite frankly it's just ok. Nothing compared to the Burmester in a prior 2015 MB S550 coupe. Not even close. Thinking of saving to cash and putting it towards having Nick at Musicar build me a system or at least heavily upgrade the Bose via his build and my local installer (whine he knows) or fly him down. I heard that burmester was upgraded for the 991.2. Haven't heard it or compared. I'm using 1440kbps source material now and again, it's ok, not blowing me away
2. I'm not looking to go nuts with options. My current build, and I bought it used, is $189,xxx, has the Burmester and metal sunroof and ventilated seats. That's about it. I'm happy with that. I realize if I'm spending $198,000, why not $210,000. Well, resale for one. I won't keep it but a year or so and switch to a 992 very probably, or something else. Also don't need to spend that much. To make me happy.
3. I'd love the natural leather in espresso/cognac but with my choice of gt silver, it's not common nor does it go quite right. I have agate exterior now and like it a lot but maybe a change. Considering Barrera white as well and that might work. I built in one of the builds the Bordeaux/black. Problem is my wife has it in her c4s cab. Not normally a red guy but it's nice.
4. I'm a litttle confused on deviated stitching. I'd like the extended stitching option ($3500) and don't need much more but correct me if I'm wrong. I figured gt silver stitching on black leather or possibly yellow
5. I kind of like the yellow gauges and chrono to blend with the calipers. Not sure how that looks or if it's overkill.
6. For me, leather steering column and the few extras aren't necessary. Nice but where does it end.
7. No need for front lift unless it will affect resale.
8. I like the multifunction steering wheel which I don't have now.
9. Chose the exterior skirt and apron/air vents option. Should be a winner
10. Aerokit - other then the tail, and as long as I'm painting the skirts and rear, I think it's a very very expensive option for what you get. If it was carbon, perhaps. Don't need the downforce. Not tracking it and if I do it would be for fun once or twice with a pro.

I really love the car. Drives so nice. I understand the .2 is even better. I may add some exterior carbon fiber bits down the road, maybe.

Appreciate your feedback all.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ5BS3Z8

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ5CJMB6
Most TTS builds have Burmester. It may affect resale. Will it affect it more than the up front cost of the Burmester? Hard to say, but probably not. The car is too loud for the sound quality of the stereo to matter that much. I would have been annoyed at spending the money -- I didn't realize how loud the car is.

My local dealer has a GT silver with espresso/cognac interior. Looks great.

If you are getting extended leather, deviated stitching, etc. then you need to get the steering column. I had my doubts, but glad I did it.

Front lift is unnecessary in these cars. My town is full of steep grades and deep gutters. No problems.

Yellow gauges may negatively effect resale. I wouldn't buy a car with yellow gauges. Normally people advise getting the car you want and not worrying about resale, but if you are selling this back in a year then that may not be the case for you.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:55 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Rk-d, thanks to you as well. Yeah, first I changed my build to Chalk with natural espresso. Still pondering black interior but I'm thinking espresso and chalk would be very rich looking. Sporty on the outside, luxurious inside. I did Rick the burmester box. Couple thoughts why. First, having the burmester now in my 16 (just pretraded it Thursday) and having heard the Bose, the burmester is maybe a tad, maybe, better. I will add Musicar's tweeters and that requires the burmester dash grills and no point in putting those in the dash with a Bose. That would hurt resale. Dealers have told me a bose won't affect trade in nor will I get more with the burmester (maybe a couple hindred). My build has gone up now to $216k. $3000 of the extra is the chalk paint, $2800 for stitching. I did not add the steering column after looking at many pictures. It's nice but I didn't think necessary. I may cave in and add it.

One potential drawback for me, with the chalk, is that I personally think it needs black wheels and I'm not a fan of the classic sport wheels unfortunately. I'm a center lock lover. So I may have to find me a gently used or great deal on a set of BBS FI-r, or paint the center locks. Porsche offers the center locks in black on the gts but apparently there is no way to get them for the Turbo S. Amazing!

Here's what I think may be final at this point, but I have a month to still make changes.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJYS9RK9
Old 05-14-2017, 11:07 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,195 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Rk-d, thanks to you as well. Yeah, first I changed my build to Chalk with natural espresso. Still pondering black interior but I'm thinking espresso and chalk would be very rich looking. Sporty on the outside, luxurious inside. I did Rick the burmester box. Couple thoughts why. First, having the burmester now in my 16 (just pretraded it Thursday) and having heard the Bose, the burmester is maybe a tad, maybe, better. I will add Musicar's tweeters and that requires the burmester dash grills and no point in putting those in the dash with a Bose. That would hurt resale. Dealers have told me a bose won't affect trade in nor will I get more with the burmester (maybe a couple hindred). My build has gone up now to $216k. $3000 of the extra is the chalk paint, $2800 for stitching. I did not add the steering column after looking at many pictures. It's nice but I didn't think necessary. I may cave in and add it.

One potential drawback for me, with the chalk, is that I personally think it needs black wheels and I'm not a fan of the classic sport wheels unfortunately. I'm a center lock lover. So I may have to find me a gently used or great deal on a set of BBS FI-r, or paint the center locks. Porsche offers the center locks in black on the gts but apparently there is no way to get them for the Turbo S. Amazing!

Here's what I think may be final at this point, but I have a month to still make changes.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJYS9RK9
Another benefit with the Burmester - the speaker surround in the doors look nicer. The system is lighter - if money is not an object, there is no reason NOT to get it.

I really like chalk, but I agree - it needs black wheels. I'm surprised you can't buy the GTS wheels separately. Annoying. I'd go custom before painting the stock wheels, IMO. Added benefit of custom is that you can spec a more aggressive offset, which the Turbo really benefits from (aesthetically).

I've never seen chalk/espresso. The Espresso is a beautiful interior in person - the configurator doesn't really do it justice. The leather feels nicer, too. I went with black and deviated stitch. If you do go black, deviated is a must have -- it really pops and keeps the interior from looking dull, IMO.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:39 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Another benefit with the Burmester - the speaker surround in the doors look nicer. The system is lighter - if money is not an object, there is no reason NOT to get it.

I really like chalk, but I agree - it needs black wheels. I'm surprised you can't buy the GTS wheels separately. Annoying. I'd go custom before painting the stock wheels, IMO. Added benefit of custom is that you can spec a more aggressive offset, which the Turbo really benefits from (aesthetically).

I've never seen chalk/espresso. The Espresso is a beautiful interior in person - the configurator doesn't really do it justice. The leather feels nicer, too. I went with black and deviated stitch. If you do go black, deviated is a must have -- it really pops and keeps the interior from looking dull, IMO.
i am doing chalk stitching with the espresso. I'm sure I can buy the gts wheels separate, or BBS fi-r but both are satin black. With high gloss side intakes and carbon mirror (base will be chalk), I think high gloss is needed. Or I keep the centerlocks as oem in silver with black inners. What a dilemma we all should have. Lol.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:45 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

A few comments:

1) I would get rid of the yellow inside the cabin. It looks jarring and out of place. It's not like you can see the brake calipers inside the car. You just notice everything is black and silver with a few random bits of yellow. It's a bad idea.

2) I like the idea of GT Silver stitching - make sure you extend it to dash, doors and seats for a more complete look.

3) To coordinate with the light colored stitching, get white dials, and silver seatbelts.

4) Consider changing the trim to to either aluminum or black aluminum. The aluminum is real, but the carbon fiber looks plastic because it is so glossed up and strips are so narrow so the pattern is not properly captured. I'm not anti carbon fiber - I think it looks great in the Macan and the new Panamera where you have nice wide strips of carbon fiber, but in the 911 it does not look good. Aluminum also has the benefit of coordinating well with the GT Silver, stitching and white dials. It would look awesome.

5) Get ACC/PAS. It is a nice feature. It has saved me a couple of times when traffic slows down very quickly and it warns you.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:22 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
A few comments:

1) I would get rid of the yellow inside the cabin. It looks jarring and out of place. It's not like you can see the brake calipers inside the car. You just notice everything is black and silver with a few random bits of yellow. It's a bad idea.

2) I like the idea of GT Silver stitching - make sure you extend it to dash, doors and seats for a more complete look.

3) To coordinate with the light colored stitching, get white dials, and silver seatbelts.

4) Consider changing the trim to to either aluminum or black aluminum. The aluminum is real, but the carbon fiber looks plastic because it is so glossed up and strips are so narrow so the pattern is not properly captured. I'm not anti carbon fiber - I think it looks great in the Macan and the new Panamera where you have nice wide strips of carbon fiber, but in the 911 it does not look good. Aluminum also has the benefit of coordinating well with the GT Silver, stitching and white dials. It would look awesome.

5) Get ACC/PAS. It is a nice feature. It has saved me a couple of times when traffic slows down very quickly and it warns you.
does acc/pas work on its own even if not using cruise control?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 TTS configuration help - me too! And some questions.