Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 TTS Just arrived! but worth it to daily drive?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 PM
905doc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 TTS Just arrived! but worth it to daily drive?

My 991.2 TTS just arrived at the dealership few days ago, will be picking it up in 1.5 weeks (currently working in the states) check out the pics he sent me, just love it and am sure it will be better looking in person!

I live 22 miles (yes miles not km, I'm working in the states but from canada) away from work, is a 44 mile round trip daily worth it in a car like this? Does it take big hit if I want to trade it in about 3 years from now with that much mileage?? Or should I just use my current slk55 amg as daily and use the TTS as a 1-2day/week car but not sure if I would consider it a weekend car. Definitely plan to get something else down the road for weekend fun. How much mileage is ideal to get a good return on it in a few years? Other option is just hell with it and drive it daily as much and as long as I want and keep it for life! Although these days tough to keep a car that long as the novelty wears off.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Attached Images       
Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

First great looking car and congrats.

Second if you haven't done your homework that thing will drop like a ton of bricks the second you drive it off the lot. The TT(S) is far less sensitive to miles than a GT car.

Drive it and enjoy it like you stole it.

Congrats.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, she's a beauty! That blue looks fantastic. (Are those wiper blades stock?)

I daily drive mine, no regrets. Ride is superb (even after swapping the 20's for 21's and dropping it 1/2").

My only issue is that I live too close to the office! My drive is (was) literally 0.7 miles... Although my daily commute is now 10 miles each way just to properly enjoy the drive.

You bought it to drive, enjoy it. It's going to depreciate regardless and you would regret not actually getting your intended use from it when the day comes you sell it.

I am counting the days to hit 2,000 miles (or at least a tad closer than I am today) so I can actually use it as intended!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

I just hit 18K after a year and a half and it isn't even my DD. Just did a 2,500 mile road trip and there was nothing better. Bought it to drive it not an investment.

Really if you're worried about resale, don't buy a Turbo, buy a GT. Our cars are awful once you drive them off the lot.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I daily drive my TT, and unless your budget is really so tight that the added depreciation will be material to your lifestyle (in which case you probably ought to be driving a different car, anyway), my suggestion is that you drive and enjoy the car. It is great to daily drive, and a 22 mile commute is actually good, because the car will be able to come up to operating temperature. Love your color choice, btw!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard there is no difference between a 50 miles 911 and a 50000 miles 911
Old 05-01-2017, 06:26 PM
905doc
Advanced

I think you guys are all right. The main reason I got it was because it's the true daily supercar and I wanted a new daily. I think what happened was that when the dealer sent me the pics I was like "holy f**K that looks amazing" and felt that maybe I should preserve it and wipe it down each day. But I should go with my gut and let it loose on the streets for the daily commute.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
905doc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
Congrats, she's a beauty! That blue looks fantastic. (Are those wiper blades stock?)

I daily drive mine, no regrets. Ride is superb (even after swapping the 20's for 21's and dropping it 1/2").

My only issue is that I live too close to the office! My drive is (was) literally 0.7 miles... Although my daily commute is now 10 miles each way just to properly enjoy the drive.

You bought it to drive, enjoy it. It's going to depreciate regardless and you would regret not actually getting your intended use from it when the day comes you sell it.

I am counting the days to hit 2,000 miles (or at least a tad closer than I am today) so I can actually use it as intended!

Yes they should be stock, maybe that's just a blue casing for them? I'll find out next week, agreed I should use it 24/7 to enjoy!, thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 PM
905doc
Advanced

Originally Posted by goin2drt
First great looking car and congrats.

Second if you haven't done your homework that thing will drop like a ton of bricks the second you drive it off the lot. The TT(S) is far less sensitive to miles than a GT car.

Drive it and enjoy it like you stole it.

Congrats.

Thanks man! It's my first super car so really amped about it
Old 05-01-2017, 06:31 PM
905doc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Need4S
I daily drive my TT, and unless your budget is really so tight that the added depreciation will be material to your lifestyle (in which case you probably ought to be driving a different car, anyway), my suggestion is that you drive and enjoy the car. It is great to daily drive, and a 22 mile commute is actually good, because the car will be able to come up to operating temperature. Love your color choice, btw!
Makes sense I'll get through that break in period much quicker! Thanks blue black and yellow was my theme for the car, has yellow seat belts with deviated stitching on the inside.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I just hit 18K after a year and a half and it isn't even my DD. Just did a 2,500 mile road trip and there was nothing better. Bought it to drive it not an investment.

Really if you're worried about resale, don't buy a Turbo, buy a GT. Our cars are awful once you drive them off the lot.
I am in the same boat...my 2015TTS just passed 22k miles and I have 2 other cars I drive. The car is just superb on every level!!!

Congrats and enjoy in good health.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 905doc
My 991.2 TTS just arrived at the dealership few days ago, will be picking it up in 1.5 weeks (currently working in the states) check out the pics he sent me, just love it and am sure it will be better looking in person!

I live 22 miles (yes miles not km, I'm working in the states but from canada) away from work, is a 44 mile round trip daily worth it in a car like this? Does it take big hit if I want to trade it in about 3 years from now with that much mileage?? Or should I just use my current slk55 amg as daily and use the TTS as a 1-2day/week car but not sure if I would consider it a weekend car. Definitely plan to get something else down the road for weekend fun. How much mileage is ideal to get a good return on it in a few years? Other option is just hell with it and drive it daily as much and as long as I want and keep it for life! Although these days tough to keep a car that long as the novelty wears off.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Sweet car!
IMO- Just drive it.... why save it's goodness for the next guy?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

+1 enjoy it. She's a beauty. My brothers and I have always argued about this and one of them has a pretty long commute a few days week going to a different office. But years of having several cars, parking, insurance and care proved he should just enjoy fewer cars more or drive his favorite!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 05-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Fantastic color.

44 miles per day 5 days a week is 11K miles per year. Porsche considers annual mileage of around 6K to 9K to be average.

If you are going to trade in the car in 3 years you will still absorb a considerable hit in depreciation whether you drive the car 11K miles per year, 9K miles per year, or even 6K miles per year.

Up to you. If you want to drive the car every day then do it. These cars do better being used regularly.

I tried to leave my 996 Turbo parked for a while but the battery doesn't appear to hold up well even though the car is parked with no extra electrical loads present and is locked. I try to drive it every other day to work -- approx. 60 mile round trip -- but often instead of say driving it every Tuesday and Thursday I drive it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Regardless of how often or much you drive the car my advice for a new car would be to have the engine oil/filter changed early. I did my 2008 Cayman S oil/filter after just 750 miles and the oil (from the filter housing) and the filter element were filthy. Normal for a new engine to shed lots of trash: bits of aluminum, sealer, and just trash; but it felt better getting rid of that oil rather than leave it in the engine for 5K miles.

Then change the oil again at the end of "break in". I can't help but cringe to think of an owner driving around for 2K miles with oil getting diluted with blow by -- which new engines have in spades -- and all the trash in the oil -- taking it easy thinking they are doing right by the engine to then when 2000 miles rolls over on the odometer get all animal with the car and still with the filthy oil in the engine.

At least change the oil at the end of break in so when you do push the engine to higher RPMs you do so with fresh/clean oil in the engine.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:02 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

drive it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 TTS Just arrived! but worth it to daily drive?