Sponsored by: Road Spy

911.1 TT - gloss black finish for some plastic parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 911.1 TT - gloss black finish for some plastic parts

As part of the paint repair of both bumpers, which have scratches and dents, I have an idea to do as well the gloss black for some plastic elements. Those elements have a standard factory matt black finish now.

These are the elements:

Not sure if this small part, the triangle, if painted in gloss black, will match the matt black window frame.
I am more inclined to leave thismparticular part as it is now in matt.

Here is the car:

I have already ordered sport-design mirrors. So the car will look a bit different from how it looks now but this picture gives a general imoression anyway.
I may also add the aerokit package painted in gloss black later, but at the moment it is still a question. So let's think of the car having NO aerokit.

I am hesitating on two things:

1). Will the gloss black finish on the above parts show less resistance to dents and scratches as opposed to the factory matt finish?
The guy, who does the paint repair for me, states that it will be as strong as the rest of the paint.

2). Will the look be too much of the gloss black? Or will all those elements in gloss black create a nice picture?
The reality is that from what I saw on cars with aerokit package done in gloss black, the plastic elements in front bumper are still of the matt black finish.
Here is a real example below where those elements are marked with red arrow. Those are matt black. So Porsche doesn't paint those in gloss black with the rest of the parts. Why? Maybe it is because it may look too much of the gloss black?

Any thoughts/recommendations/ideas on the above?
The car is now at the paint repair and all parts have already been disassembled yesterday. So they need to have my final decesion preferably today as they are already starting the paint work.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Last edited by kart driver; 04-29-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

No images
Old 04-29-2017, 08:57 PM
kart driver
Racer

Any thoughts/ideas?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car, looks just like mine.

I think the black gloss finish is a bit much, the subdued matte black would be fine. The black gloss looks good on the wheels inside though. Maybe match the rocker panels with the color of the car.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM
kart driver
Racer

Came to a preliminary decision:

Stays in matt black. Just ordered new parts so thet they look absolutely new

Not sure if this small part, the triangle, if painted in gloss black, will match the matt black window frame.
Leaving this particular part as it is now in matt.

The below parts will be painted in gloss black:

Last edited by kart driver; 05-04-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

It's truly personal taste. On a Black car, yes. On any other color, personal choice. Beware that the lower sections take a boatload of abuse, tiny stuff flying off the rubber ahead of you. Expect that you might be painting the front sections yearly. Mirror trim and rear sections not so back, but anything on the front will get pitted pretty quickly.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-04-2017, 03:42 AM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
It's truly personal taste. On a Black car, yes. On any other color, personal choice. Beware that the lower sections take a boatload of abuse, tiny stuff flying off the rubber ahead of you. Expect that you might be painting the front sections yearly. Mirror trim and rear sections not so back, but anything on the front will get pitted pretty quickly.
Thanks for the feedback.

My plan is to put a protection film on the whole car after the repaint is completed. Most of the black gloss elements will also be covered.

Last edited by kart driver; 05-04-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Actualizer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it . Your car has a nice contracting colour and I reckon you might just create subtle highlights with gloss back and take out the el-cheapo look. If I were you I might take the plunge and do the aerokit .cheers
Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM
kart driver
Racer

Aerokit is already in the paint shop. The rest of the parts are also painted in gloss black. By the end of the next week they promise to finish the job.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
kart driver
Racer

The final result is here. In two words: it was absolutely worth the efforts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...estions-2.html

Quick Reply: 911.1 TT - gloss black finish for some plastic parts