Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2018 Turbo S configuration help

Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 PM
ericparent
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Turbo S configuration help

Hello everyone, long time lurker, and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2018 TTS. This will be my first Porsche, and I'm obsessing a little bit with the configurator I still have a couple of weeks to finalize my configuration, and would love some feedback on the car

Here is the configuration link:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJWGT5M0

More specifically, I'm still undecided on the following:

-Should I add the glass sunroof? Sales rep says it will hurt resale if I don't get, but I don't know if I want the 2-tone look.

-Is the yellow chrono a good choice? I figured it brings back the yellow brakes.

-I'm curious if light grey / silver stitching it a good choice, or should I just leave it with black stitching.

-Are the extended leather options worth it? Or are they a waste of money?

I'd love to get feedback

Old 04-23-2017, 01:59 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done, you will love it!

I ordered mine in Dec and it arrived a few weeks ago ... I still pinch myself every time I see it.

I checked a lot of boxes as well with respect to options, here is my feedback....

- Not sure of I saw the carbon fiber illuminated sills on your build. If not, I recommend.

- I have the steering column in leather as well as the rear center console option you selected. Love them both.

- I went with leather visors and love them, but have the cabrio so alcantara may be better in the coupe

- If I did it again, I would have picked the option to get the seat release cover in leather. I missed this option and when I found it, it was too late. They look good without it, but the silver really stands out on my black leather seats and I would have preferred them to be covered.
- I have the aero kit and LOVE it!. At first I only liked the rear wing and did not care for the front ground effects. Once I saw it in person, I fell in love with that as well

- I have same headlight and tail lights you selected and they look great in person.

- I love deviated stitching, but it seems overboard on a lot of the cars I've seen. Perhaps in moderation, but I'm glad I skipped those option s. I picked the yellow seat belts and that is plenty of contrast. If I had a red car I would have chosen the red ones instead.

- The sport chrono in yellow may be a nice touch. Everyone had their own taste. I would not have that yellow and the belts red, but that's just me. I'd leave it black or go red to match your car instead.

- You may regret not having the headlight washers painted in the exterior color. This is a nice touch.

- I also had the side air intakes painted, even though my car is black. They lock great, I'm glad I did it.

- lastly, you may want to consider the stereo upgrade. I am fairly pleased with it but honestly have it off more than on to hear the exhaust.

Can't wait to see you take delivery, congrats#
Old 04-23-2017, 02:24 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I would add some color to the interior. It looks a bit cold as it comes. You picked a new contrast stitching option; that ought to give it a little something extra. That wasn't available for my build so I had to manually selected the options. I went with red stitching throughout, and to me that added enough interest to the cabin.

On the leather, there's a long thread on the 991 forum about Porsche Exclusive and in there somewhere it goes through what each option buys. I wouldn't bother with much of it, but perhaps a few are things you'd notice and be happy with. Some buyers really like the steering cover in leather for instance.

I went with the glass sunroof, black aerokit, and a number of other black accents to complete a look I liked. I would understand skipping it if that didn't do it for you. If you want a sunroof without the two tone, just get the metal one. If you don't want one, I'd say simply don't get it; build the car for you. While a no sunroof car can take longer to resell, at times it actually commands a premium due to the rarity.

I don't care for the lone yellow SC dial in the interior. As the brakes and dial are rarely seen together I wouldn't bother trying to tie them. It's not my car though; if you like it you should get it. But personally I'd go with another color that ties in with more of what you see while sitting in the cabin.

I like the build. I hope you love the car when it comes in!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

No sunroof here. I also didn't want the two tone look. A sunroof is something that needs maintenance and can be a source of leaks and rattles. It's extra weight way up high and gets rid of some helmet room. And I'd never use it anyway.

Last edited by worf928; 04-23-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 AM
porsche42
Racer

Congrats on the purchase. Nothing like starting at the top. I started out in a Cayman S and worked my way up to a TTS.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:39 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with red gauges if anything. The yellow sports chrono will look out of place. Add all the deviated stitching you can. Really sets off the interior. I'd also forgo the sunroof if you really don't like/use it. But I'm a Cab guy:-)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Negatory on that yellow chrono.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 AM
ericparent
AutoX

Thank you for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

A lot of you mentioned the aerokit, but I decided to skip it and use the money saved on other options. If i was going for the 2-tone look, i would pick both the sunroof and the aerokit, but ill keep the original look (both look freaking amazing).

Seems like the consensus is no yellow sport chrono. Ill try to see one in person, but i'll most likely leave it black. Depending on stitching i might change this.

As for the stitching, would you guys recommend red or white stitching? I feel like the white/light grey stitching is classier, while red stitching will make it look sportier.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 16 TTS has yellow stitching, yellow guages and yellow Sport Chronos, but it's Agate gray, not red.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:32 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

My advice
- Get the glass roof.
- Consider Carmine instead of Guards. It is a pure red with no orange under tone.
- Yellow and Red don't mix well. It makes the yellow seem more orange, so I wouldn't extend the yellow beyond the calipers.
- Go for white (pebble grey) or guards red deviated stitching. It will have a great contrast and look great.
- Go for the dials in white. I would do both instrument cluster and sport chrono so it looks more coordinated. I have this setup. The white dials have great readability and I think they are even better than black. I find the other colored dials have less readability.
- Since you have such a high MSRP you should definitely get the Aero Package. It looks great and especially since you have extended the black accents on the outside.

If you want to scale back anywhere, there are some things you have which are barely noticeable IMO
- rear center tunnel in leather
- inner door sills in leather (great but get scuffed easily)
- storage compartment lid with logo
- instrument surround in leather (when i saw a car with this I couldn't figure out what it was until someone pointed it out).
- front axle lift system (completely unnecessary unless you plan to lower the car).
Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I have always been a Guards Red fan-boy on 911 cars....

Until I saw a brand new Carmine Red .2 TTS with aero at my dealer on Friday.... WOW!! Stunning!!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM
ericparent
AutoX

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I have always been a Guards Red fan-boy on 911 cars....

Until I saw a brand new Carmine Red .2 TTS with aero at my dealer on Friday.... WOW!! Stunning!!
yeah, just saw a carmine red panamera in the showroom.... holy moley that's a nice red. The 3d visualizer doesn't do it justice. I'm now torn between the sporty look of the guards red and the badass look of the carmine red.... this just made it a lot more difficult to finalize my order...
Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 PM
slink
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Turbo S will be completed next week at the factory. Due to arrive mid-June.

I ordered it with no sunroof. Less weight on the highest part of the car as a bonus.

My 991 C4S has the glass sunroof. It was at the dealer four times for rattles. They couldn't get it to stop rattling. Porsche approved a complete replacement of the sunroof, which was a painful ordeal for the techs. I never used the thing anyway. Ever. Never even opened the sunshade.

Then, the replacement one squeaked incessantly. We got it to stop squeaking with DuPont rubber lubricant around the entire perimeter on the seal. Great car, though. 40,000 miles on it. Purchased it new. We will be hanging on to it even after the Turbo S arrives.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 PM
ericparent
AutoX

Originally Posted by slink
My Turbo S will be completed next week at the factory. Due to arrive mid-June.

I ordered it with no sunroof. Less weight on the highest part of the car as a bonus.

My 991 C4S has the glass sunroof. It was at the dealer four times for rattles. They couldn't get it to stop rattling. Porsche approved a complete replacement of the sunroof, which was a painful ordeal for the techs. I never used the thing anyway. Ever. Never even opened the sunshade.

Then, the replacement one squeaked incessantly. We got it to stop squeaking with DuPont rubber lubricant around the entire perimeter on the seal. Great car, though. 40,000 miles on it. Purchased it new. We will be hanging on to it even after the Turbo S arrives.
what color did you order your turbo s in?

I've seen a few people here with rattling sunroofs. When I did have a sunroof on my previous card, I never opened them. I'll stick with the one tone look with no sunroof and save some money for other options.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ericparent
Thank you for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

A lot of you mentioned the aerokit, but I decided to skip it and use the money saved on other options. If i was going for the 2-tone look, i would pick both the sunroof and the aerokit, but ill keep the original look (both look freaking amazing).

Seems like the consensus is no yellow sport chrono. Ill try to see one in person, but i'll most likely leave it black. Depending on stitching i might change this.

As for the stitching, would you guys recommend red or white stitching? I feel like the white/light grey stitching is classier, while red stitching will make it look sportier.
your theme is along the same lines as mine. I went with the German Flag colors. I love the yellow gauges. I have received more compliments on them than anything else on the car. They light up black at night.

As far as the the stitching, it looks really great but I chose not to. I had an M3 with it and my experience it gets dirty over time.

Nice build.
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Turbo S configuration help