Sponsored by: Road Spy

Just J and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
My bad - that should have read passenger door. Driver's side was fine.

Thanks, all - good advice in here...
How did you make out?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
How did you make out?
They mostly did a really good job. Paint matching was flawless, panel gaps are a match to the undamaged side - you really can't tell anything happened.

Until I noticed that the GPS position was way off, and the MFD wouldn't display an altitude. I'm guessing they didn't get the GPS antenna hooked back up. Then I noticed that the windshield washers wouldn't work. The pump came on and the wipers moved, but no liquid appeared. Again, I'm guessing something didn't get hooked back up. So they're working on that now.

Anyway, originally I got the car back after not quite 4 weeks. Drove it down to St Louis the next day for my mom's birthday. Two days later, driving back to Chicago, this happened:

Damage to the inlet blades, and the condenser, but no damage to any painted pieces or surfaces. They're working on that at the same time as the items above. I should get it back -- again -- tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

They mostly did a really good job... Until I noticed ...
Ugh. Can't say I'm shocked that they didn't get it right the first time.

If they worry about their reputation they'll want to get it 100%.

If you don't mind: how close was my estimate of the total damage amount?

Two days later, driving back to Chicago, this happened:
That just sucks. Time for Rennline or Zunsport grills.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They mostly did a really good job. Paint matching was flawless, panel gaps are a match to the undamaged side - you really can't tell anything happened.

Until I noticed that the GPS position was way off, and the MFD wouldn't display an altitude. I'm guessing they didn't get the GPS antenna hooked back up. Then I noticed that the windshield washers wouldn't work. The pump came on and the wipers moved, but no liquid appeared. Again, I'm guessing something didn't get hooked back up. So they're working on that now.

Anyway, originally I got the car back after not quite 4 weeks. Drove it down to St Louis the next day for my mom's birthday. Two days later, driving back to Chicago, this happened:

Damage to the inlet blades, and the condenser, but no damage to any painted pieces or surfaces. They're working on that at the same time as the items above. I should get it back -- again -- tomorrow.
Very disappointing that the quality of the body and paint work was diminished by an incomplete repair and quality check before delivery to you. I no longer use dealer body shops​ after similar experiences. Only private body shops for me now.

Like worf928 stated, time for intake screens from Rennline since the front bumper needs to come off to repair the new damage. I have them, they look factory installed. A good investment!

Hang in there, we are all wanting you to come out happy in the end driving this great car!!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
If they worry about their reputation they'll want to get it 100%.

If you don't mind: how close was my estimate of the total damage amount?]
Total was about $17,500. As for the quality, they did a great job on what matters - paint matching/blending and getting everything lined up so it's impossible to tell that anything happened. I would have preferred not to have to deal with little stuff like this, but it could have been worse.

Originally Posted by MJM911
I no longer use dealer body shops​ after similar experiences. Only private body shops for me now.

Like worf928 stated, time for intake screens from Rennline since the front bumper needs to come off to repair the new damage. I have them, they look factory installed. A good investment!

Hang in there, we are all wanting you to come out happy in the end driving this great car!!
This is a private body shop, and a pretty good one. I had them fix a hood ding (road rock that got through the clear wrap) and a rear bumper scratch (parking lot hit and run) and they did a perfect job. In spite of the minor issues they're cleaning up, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them.

Agreed on the grills - definitely need to look into that.

One thing about this is that having to drive rentals (a challenger for the main repairs, and a 4runner for the last few days) *really* makes me appreciate how fantastic our cars are. It's not that I take it for granted, but you do get used to the incredible quality, comfort, and performance, so some time in a regular car really puts it back in perspective just how awesome the 911 is (especially the Turbo).
Old 05-17-2017, 12:22 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

EEK!! Has Hurricane seen your car? He's always lusted over hit at CF and here.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KWP1911
EEK!! Has Hurricane seen your car? He's always lusted over hit at CF and here.
Probably not. Best not to upset him unnecessarily, doncha think?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:57 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear you got it back in great condition in 4 weeks. In my town that just doesn't happen that fast.

Quick Reply: Just J and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day