Sponsored by: Road Spy

Best Year, 2012 -- 2017

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:07 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Year, 2012 -- 2017

Greetings from a newbie to this forum. I've owned ~6 Porsches over the years, including a 996 Turbo.

I'm wanting another turbo and might spring for a new one, but would rather not if I could get a satisfactory car from an earlier year. So my questions is, in the 991 types, are there any years that are markedly better or that should be avoided?

I don't want a car to track, just a daily driver with PDK, comfortable suspension, quiet interior.

Beyond that, any tips on where to look for these cars? Google?

Your thoughts, guys? Thanx!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

The 991.1 turbo went from 2014 to 2016. The 991.2 turbo started in 2017 MY. The 2017 had numerous upgrades to the model, both in creature features and power/handling. All years of the 991 are great cars and only you and your budget can make the call which one is best for you.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I haven't heard of any known issues to watch out for in the 991 turbo range. Just find the car you like best!

For new it's obvious, but used Porsche has a locator tool for preowned cars at dealerships, and all the usual web suspects are good to check. Autotrader, Cars.com, CarGurus, the rennlist classifieds.

If you go used most say the CPO warranty is quite nice. And while high mileage reduces the resale values and asking prices, it doesn't seem to imply any commensurate increase to running costs. I suppose if a car is due for scheduled service but that should be pretty obvious.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I've owned both a 14 and now a 17. The differences are big to me, but few would even be able to notice. Let your budget decide, but if you do pick a used model, be sure that a dealer does an inspection for you, including checking the wear situation of the rotors.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
derf
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I've owned both a 14 and now a 17. The differences are big to me, but few would even be able to notice. Let your budget decide, but if you do pick a used model, be sure that a dealer does an inspection for you, including checking the wear situation of the rotors.
i have a '14' also. Very happy with it and have never even driven a 17. What are the differences that are big to you? I do not track my car.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by derf
i have a '14' also. Very happy with it and have never even driven a 17. What are the differences that are big to you? I do not track my car.
1. it's faster on track, up to 2+ seconds per lap due to better power delivery (very consistent 165mph on VIR backstretch vs consistent 161 in 991.1)
2. Nannies are less intrusive on track, helping that 2 seconds
3. In the event of a crash/airbag deployment, brakes lock up to reduce secondary impact if I'm unable to continue driving due to injury
4. much better cooling for engine/tranny/turbos/brakes (Can I say "tranny" in 2017?). It seems that car temps are all lower on track - could be me...
5. Much better steering wheel size and feel, better paddles (and Alcantera now)

Honestly, I also did a better job ordering this time, too. Sunroof delete, backup camera (very helpful in pit lane with HANS device on) and generally fewer options.

Bottom line, the car just feels better, quicker, more confident
Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Coonquest
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
1. it's faster on track, up to 2+ seconds per lap due to better power delivery (very consistent 165mph on VIR backstretch vs consistent 161 in 991.1)
2. Nannies are less intrusive on track, helping that 2 seconds
3. In the event of a crash/airbag deployment, brakes lock up to reduce secondary impact if I'm unable to continue driving due to injury
4. much better cooling for engine/tranny/turbos/brakes (Can I say "tranny" in 2017?). It seems that car temps are all lower on track - could be me...
5. Much better steering wheel size and feel, better paddles (and Alcantera now)
[snip]
Bottom line, the car just feels better, quicker, more confident
Agreed to all. I had a 991.1 TTS and a new 991.2 TTS at the same time with a two month overlap so I could go from one to the other on a daily basis. I would add:
6. Significantly less turbo lag and better boost at part throttle. At 5200 ft altitude, turbo lag is increased so the difference is more noticeable.
7. Significantly faster PDK response to throttle inputs.
8. Much better ride over speed bumps and cracked pavement. Almost embarrassingly good ride for a super performance "sports car". Where's the expected pain trade off?

The Porsche engineers keep improving these things, generation after generation. They must leave a lot of cookies and milk out for the elves every night.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Best Year, 2012 -- 2017