Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Performance tire questions

Old 02-05-2017, 12:39 AM
gtallegra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance tire questions

Hey Guys so i know this is probably a stupid question but I own a 991 turbo and was searching for new performance tires to buy, going to several places because I was thinking of getting myself the Michelin pilot super sports but they are telling me that they don't suggest it because of its speed rating. I never heard of this before always thought that if tire rating was a V or Y you would be fine on these sport cars but they are saying you need a "(y)" with parentheses because the car can go over 186 MPH...?? Can someone please give me some pointers as I still have the original Zeros that came with the car.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:27 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Will you ever drive the car at 186 or above? If not, the point is moot.

Do you value ultimate grip or flexibility (wet performance, longevity)?

The current ultimate tire which is Porsche N rated is the Pilot Sport Cup 2. OEM tire on GT3/RS. Won't last as long as the stock tires but will corner better than probably anything you've ever driven short of a true R compound. Decent wet performance too.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Except SC2s don't do well in colder temps. I got Super Sports because I DD my car all year round. It doesn't get cold enough where I am that MPSS are a problem but SC2s fall off much at warmer temps. The current best is the MP4S. Despite its name, it is a summer tire replacement for MPSS, not an all season tire. Also good is the latest N spec P-Zero (N2?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance tire questions