Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Upgraded from 997.2T to 991.1T? Please come inside...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:22 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The 991 pipes in engine noise, and what is piped in is primarily intake noise. In-cabin it is certainly an improvement.

If you want a 997 turbo class car with warranty and tech you might also consider a brand new 991.2 c4s or c4gts. Not much less power and you can get even more toys.

On the other hand, there are some 997 turbos left with CPO. There are 8 CPO 997tt cars on Porsche's own used vehicle finder right now. Some of them will be fake CPO (just passing on remainder of a previous real CPO) but some will be real (2 whole new years for you).
Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

OK, so I typed a long post and it got eaten...sigh. Here is a slightly less wordy version of what I typed:

I found this old but relevant thread by searching but was hoping for more current observations on the 997.2 TTS versus 991.1 TTS, which I am considering buying to consolidate my 2002 996TT and 2014 Nissan GT-R into a single car. As I do 'require' PDK and PCCB I think limiting my searches to the TTS models simplifies things, and of course I'd prefer to have the top model Turbo if at all possible. I definitely have a soft spot for the 997.2 chassis and looks, but will grudgingly admit that I know Porsche always makes improvements and many of my friends absolutely rave about the 991.1 TT/S.

Thanks all!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianR
i had a beautiful 2012 997.2TT, loved the car. traded it for a 2015 991TTS, no comparison. handling is much better, the pdk is better, interior is better, suspension is better.

no brainer
About to do do the exact same swap - two years later than you. I've convinced myself I like the mechanical feel of the 997.2TTS but honestly the PDK feels sluggish, clunky particularly in low gears at low revs. Engine is fantastic but non manual pdk operation feels a little off. Hoping 991.1 will be straightened out as most say.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

I'm curious if those are just programming changes to the logic that shifts the PDK or truly revised hardware. If it's just software, it's conceivable that even a Porsche dealer could reprogram your PDK control unit.

On my GTR, you can apply the latest programming from Nissan to the oldest DCTs, which keeps your warranty intact and provides much better operation and day to day civility. Anyone know if that is possible for 997.2 as well?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I'm curious if those are just programming changes to the logic that shifts the PDK or truly revised hardware. If it's just software, it's conceivable that even a Porsche dealer could reprogram your PDK control unit.

On my GTR, you can apply the latest programming from Nissan to the oldest DCTs, which keeps your warranty intact and provides much better operation and day to day civility. Anyone know if that is possible for 997.2 as well?
Had the dealer upgrade to latest 997.2 pdk software and not much of a difference and not close to 991. Research the Cobb pdk tune some like it but mostly for making it more agreesive not smoother IIRC.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, great information and sorry it wasn't a worthwhile upgrade or change. It definitely makes me wonder more about the changes that Porsche did make between the models too.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM
gsx95
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore

Nissan definitely does not do this. There are actually hardware differences between the CBA and DBA models that prevent this.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsx95
Nissan definitely does not do this. There are actually hardware differences between the CBA and DBA models that prevent this.
Is my memory really this bad? Am I thinking only of the Launch Control programming? I know I have the ability to select different LC parameters that they updated through the years. As my TCM is also tuned by the aftermarket, I know that I don't have OEM programming for my TCM anymore, but I swear they didn't make hardware changes between 2009 and 2016, only software revisions. I don't know the 2017+ cars as intimately.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:33 PM
gsx95
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The only time Nissan "updated" the software officially was to remove the launch control from the 09 model in 2010. The car was then re-introduced in 2012 with a new TCM and a proper warrantied launch control. There were no other Nissan approved updates to any other GT-R beyond what they left the factory with. The original LC was used by all the car reviewers but voided the warranty if used (and something broke, which was common due to the aggressive nature of the LC). If you had a Cobb with TCM capabilities you could change LC software and settings, but it wasn't warrantied by Nissan. I had an 09 that I eventually traded for a 2015 because it annoyed the heck out of me that my car couldn't launch (and then traded that for a 2016 911 Turbo S Cabriolet last month).
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsx95
The only time Nissan "updated" the software officially was to remove the launch control from the 09 model in 2010. The car was then re-introduced in 2012 with a new TCM and a proper warrantied launch control. There were no other Nissan approved updates to any other GT-R beyond what they left the factory with. The original LC was used by all the car reviewers but voided the warranty if used (and something broke, which was common due to the aggressive nature of the LC). If you had a Cobb with TCM capabilities you could change LC software and settings, but it wasn't warrantied by Nissan. I had an 09 that I eventually traded for a 2015 because it annoyed the heck out of me that my car couldn't launch (and then traded that for a 2016 911 Turbo S Cabriolet last month).
I tried to fact check this with my local service advisor yesterday as I hate to personally spread bad information but it was inconclusive. Meaning, I do already know you can toggle LC1-LC6 across the different cars, but the TCM information wasn't really well known. I believe that it is possible to apply a newer TCM to an older car from what I know about tuning them, but my original statement was directed more towards the dealership being able to do that, and I could not prove that was or is done. So, my apologies for the comment about this earlier as I believed it to be true, but it's not a conclusive thing.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:44 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
Had the dealer upgrade to latest 997.2 pdk software and not much of a difference and not close to 991. Research the Cobb pdk tune some like it but mostly for making it more agreesive not smoother IIRC.
I have the Cobb PDK tune. There are various options (OEM+, Sport, Aggressive IIRC). I am running sport. It really "wakes up" the car for me. In normal before, it was largely not great. Borderline not useable for me. You're in the 6th gear at 20 mph. Now Normal is perfect for DD / around town. Hold the gears longer, more sporty, but pretty smooth quick shifts. Sport is better for the Canyon carving runs and when you want more noise (coupled with the Kline exhaust). To me this coupled with the Stage 2 tune has been a great addition to an already very good car.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Subscribing for responses, but will add my .02

I've got a 997.2 TTS with a Europipe (Absolutely LOVE the sound), TPC DSC Suspension controller, and Cobb AP on an OTS tune. I love this car but can see how the 991.1 / .2 TTS's suspension improvements would be desired, as well as the other more modern tech. I'd love to upgrade to a 991TTS someday, but the difference in money doesn't make sense for me right now.

I also have the PDK tune from Cobb and ran the "Sport" for a while and loved it. I still feel like it wasn't quite as quick as I'd like it, so I tried the "Aggressive" mode. Now it's a bit quicker also and I left it on Aggressive. Haven't tried the Highest setting yet (High Torque), as it's only for cars making 50% more power / torque. I'll never need that.

Europipe makes these Turbos sound amazing!! Here's a couple vids of my cars sound.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Europipe makes these Turbos sound amazing!! Here's a couple vids of my cars sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOjARhULGc
What's the story behind getting this very exclusive footage?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
What's the story behind getting this very exclusive footage?
Lol. You refering to the filming and the radio traffic in the back ground?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:19 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole

Lol. You refering to the filming and the radio traffic in the back ground?
tax dollars at work! love ya buddy!

Quick Reply: Upgraded from 997.2T to 991.1T? Please come inside...