ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

gotta love these topics
Old 01-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I think it goes down to priorities. If you think about the actual total cost of ownership, then the depreciation costs and maintenance/insurance/taxes are what you need to consider, but your net worth vs car budget speaks to your priorities. Personally, I prioritize my cars over a bigger house/beach house, gambling, street drugs, or a girlfriend.

If you buy a brand new $200k 991.2 TTS and drive it off the lot, it's now worth $175k and you just threw $25k out the window. After that, the $2500/mo payment is going to keep you in a position where you can dump the car at any time and wont be in a negative equity situation. Make a reasonable downpayment, maybe $20k, and within a couple of months you will have the safety net of being able to get out of the car without much pain if something were to happen. In a few years, with a 60 month loan, you will have a lot of equity in the car, since it won't ever be worth less than maybe $80k, but it will be paid for and loved every day. The great thing about modern Porsches is that they are "relatively" cheap to maintain vs other exotics.

Second, if you are a car guy, never make car decisions with your wife. My wife has absolutely no idea what these cars cost, has never asked, and has no interest in finding out. She knows that we have everything we could ever want, our kids college is taken care of, and if I go spend some of the "gravy" on a car, then I must be able to cover it. (She also knows that I don't have high priorities for a girlfriend, which must somehow help with this very successful strategy)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM
SilveRT8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Randyc151

Second, if you are a car guy, never make car decisions with your wife. My wife has absolutely no idea what these cars cost, has never asked, and has no interest in finding out. She knows that we have everything we could ever want, our kids college is taken care of, and if I go spend some of the "gravy" on a car, then I must be able to cover it. (She also knows that I don't have high priorities for a girlfriend, which must somehow help with this very successful strategy)

After 38 years together, my wife has given up on worrying about how much I spend on new cars....so it's a clear path from now on !
Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
If you can afford to pay cash, then you are wealthy enough...

Its a depreciating asset.

The real question is, can you take a $100k hit in value and not blink. If so, buy one.

I can think of a lot of other cars to buy for that price that are appreciating.
Well said. These cars are largely toys. The truth is, most Americans spend way too much money on cars. I have been paying cash for my cars for 15 years. If you have $200k cash sitting around for a toy, you can afford it. If you have a negative net worth, or even a net worth that's $0-$1M, it's still probably not smart.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

Anything over a 6 year old Toyota is an emotional purchase. You can't make it make sense logically. Not on a mass produced car like a Turbo.

When I was younger I had lots of cars I couldn't really afford. I don't regret any of it.

The 5 percent rule is great if you can do it. I can but most car nuts cannot.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Old 02-01-2017, 03:39 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Simple, do you have $200K of disposable money you wouldn't miss?
This is the way I buy toys.

If you're fortunate enough to have a large income every month. Just save the cash until you're net worth is big enough so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

There are too many variables to answer the OP's question. My philosophy is pay as you play. My wife and I are VERY debt averse. We pay cash for everything (cars, homes, children's education ) even when it may not be the optimal strategy. I flip 911s (997TT->991C4S ->991TTS) every two years and Cayennes every four or so. I always pay cash and I always buy a one year old CPO car and usually save 5 figures off sticker. But to each his own.....
Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM
rimbytx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As my best evil twin said "you're only paying for the part you use". And by the way, where does the word 'responsible' and or 'necessary' come in when you are talking a $200k car? Get in and drive.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My take is, if if can buy it outright and not feel it...I'm fine with it. If I have to monthly any part of it...I won't do it. If I have to think about it, I won't do it. If I can't write the cheque, I won't do it.

I think it's bad practice and a dangerous place to be if in negative net worth and owning/ leasing a luxury car, but everyone is entitled to their beliefs. YMMV
Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 AM
FBA
Racer

Originally Posted by bpu699
If you can afford to pay cash, then you are wealthy enough...

Its a depreciating asset.

The real question is, can you take a $100k hit in value and not blink. If so, buy one.

I can think of a lot of other cars to buy for that price that are appreciating.
Like what? What's out there for 200K as an appreciating asset?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM
FBA
Racer

Originally Posted by unotaz
+1

No more than 5% of net worth. But we live in America, so most people don't follow this rule.
Many can easily afford millions of $ in their garage at substantially more than 5% of their TNW...

5% is very conservative IMO...however, it's an individual thing. Certainly at 5% of TNW, you don't go broke buying toys - LOL
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM
nategracey
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Well...
I live in a 250K condo and drive a 15 gt3.
Don't make much money(as compared to most rennlisters),
but enough to enjoy what I always wanted since I first saw a 993 as a young boy.

20% down on everything I buy, payments are reasonable for me. I make about 30k per month, but spend almost all of it on stupid crap...

After reading this thread I realize I might need to reprioritize a bit, as I'm 34 now with no retirement or plans... hmmm..

Help!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
My take is, if if can buy it outright and not feel it...I'm fine with it. If I have to monthly any part of it...I won't do it. If I have to think about it, I won't do it. If I can't write the cheque, I won't do it.

I think it's bad practice and a dangerous place to be if in negative net worth and owning/ leasing a luxury car, but everyone is entitled to their beliefs. YMMV
Well stated, FBA. My sentiments exactly!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by nategracey
Well...
After reading this thread I realize I might need to reprioritize a bit, as I'm 34 now with no retirement or plans... hmmm..
The good news for you is that you picked a car that barely depreciates, compared to many of us that get killed when the TTS hits the street. You probably have decent equity in that car now, so if stuff hit the fan, you could sell it back to the dealer and leave with a check all within 24 hours. You have your dream car, and it's not costing quite as much "total cost of ownership" as you'd think, compared to buying many other cars that cost $150,000 and depreciate $25k per year or more. I always make my car buying purchases, except the TTS, on exactly how much does a car cost to own and operate over X years, including depreciation. You will find the GT3 is probably cheaper to own for 4 years than a Mustang or Camaro or Vette.

My free advice, as long as you are managing to pay for your dream car, keep it and enjoy it with a vengeance. (Also, enjoy being 34!!) Don't be in a rush to flip it for something new...just keep paying it down. Otherwise, you need to begin stashing and investing away $3000-4000 per month immediately. How you do that is totally up to you to discover, but you need to begin building cash/net worth ASAP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Net Worth