Sponsored by: Road Spy

Need info on long term parking & battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Need info on long term parking & battery

I need to relocate my two summer queens for their winter nap to a non-powered facility.
Is there any risk associated with the battery going dead or the car having no connected power for 4-5 months ?

TIA
Old 12-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

You will probably need to replace the battery if you leave it that long without disconnecting it. The battery might also freeze and crack. With the battery dead, you will need to open the door with a physical key and get into the battery compartment manually, too.

Also, be sure your antifreeze will protect down to the temps the car will see.

If you're good with that, sweet dreams.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Not an unconditioned building just no power at the car..would disconnecting the battery be better than leaving it hooked up ?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Or total battery removal as I can put it on a tender at home ?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
Not an unconditioned building just no power at the car..would disconnecting the battery be better than leaving it hooked up ?
If you park the car for several months and leave the battery connected you can expect the battery to be either very low or dead in that time. I'd prepare for dead.

Thus you have to be prepared to be able to open the trunk and get at the battery to probably replace it. Lead/acid batteries do not like to be deep discharged. While it might take a charge it will never be as good as it was when you put the car away.

If you disconnect the battery (and remove the battery) if you close/latch the front trunk lid you have be sure you can get at the emergency front trunk lid cable so you can open the trunk lid sans no electrical power.

Also, you pretty much have to be prepared to have the trunk lid closed. You might forget and close it yourself, or someone walking by your car will close it for you.

Also, during this time the car will be unlocked. You can probably open a door but the window glass will not drop.

Bad enough but then when you close the door the glass will be up and I don't know what this can mean when closing the door on your Turbo.

With my Boxster it meant the top edge of the glass hit the top rail and the sound it made had me preparing to be showered with glass fragments. However, as bad as it sounded (and felt) the glass never broke. Still I'd not risk this.

So I guess it is remove the battery. Be sure the emergency front trunk lid open cable is handy. Leave the doors unlocked and the windows down. Best if you can cover the car with a cover. I'd prefer to use the outside cover as it is more durable and heavier thus offering more "protection".

Be sure when you park the car you do not park it under water pipes or under a hanging light fixture. Avoid parking it where it might need to be moved to give someone access to some access panel to get at the building's plumbing, wiring, or whatever.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

All good info thanks..I have an outdoors cover...I'm going to pull the battery and leave the frunk unlatched
Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

That's what I would do too.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 12-10-2016, 12:53 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

FWIW, I accidentally left 991.1 GT3 with battery not unhooked and battery tender disconnected for almost 2 months (in a heated garage). When I came back and put the battery charger on it, it showed 75% charged and went to fully charged very quickly. My 2011 Cayenne would go to 50% battery within two weeks. I think Porsche might have built-in automatic battery disconnect of some sort into the 991s.

Anyway, I'd just disconnect the battery for up to 2-3 months and pull the battery and put it on a tender for anything longer than that.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
If you park the car for several months...
+991. Spot-on.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have stored my 991TTS for the past two winters (near Boston) in an unheated garage and no trickle charger. I prepare the battery by charging it to a full charge before storing the car. I then park it in the garage, open the frunk, and then close the car door so the window movement occurs. I then disconnect the negative lead from the battery and wrap it to protect it from coming in contact with anything else. I lower the frunk but do not close it all the way. I then cover the car. (There are a few other preparation thing I do too.).

Once this is done, the garage gets closed and locked. I don't ever touch the car until I am ready to bring it out for the spring. It is usually stored from Mid-November to Mid-April. I haven't had any battery issues, the car starts no problem. That first day I put it back on the battery charger to ensure its fully charged to start the season.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

This is exactly what I did..hoping for a good heartbeat when it fires in spring

Quick Reply: Need info on long term parking & battery