Apple CarPlay and wireless internet

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple CarPlay and wireless internet

Ladies & Gents:

Traded in 991.1 TT Cab and ordered a new 991.2 TTS that just arrived at the dealership. Driving to the dealership on Monday (different state) to write the check and get the iPhones sync'ed, etc., then having the car shipped to local detailer in-state for the Xpel wrap.

Question is, what are your thoughts and opinions on the Apple CarPlay and wireless internet?

We live in a state where AT&T is not the preferred service provider (rather it is Verizon due to coverage area), and I understand that the Apple CarPlay and wireless internet are dependent on AT&T service....that would require a separate subscription in addition to Verizon, and would have limited coverage areas in-state....is it worth it?

Thx.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:20 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
Ladies & Gents:

Traded in 991.1 TT Cab and ordered a new 991.2 TTS that just arrived at the dealership. Driving to the dealership on Monday (different state) to write the check and get the iPhones sync'ed, etc., then having the car shipped to local detailer in-state for the Xpel wrap.

Question is, what are your thoughts and opinions on the Apple CarPlay and wireless internet?

We live in a state where AT&T is not the preferred service provider (rather it is Verizon due to coverage area), and I understand that the Apple CarPlay and wireless internet are dependent on AT&T service....that would require a separate subscription in addition to Verizon, and would have limited coverage areas in-state....is it worth it?

Thx.
I think wireless internet uses Verizon (This is the Porsche telematics suite). Also the Apple CarPlay doesn't have a data plan. It uses your own iPhone. You plug in your iPhone and you get CarPlay on the screen. So CarPlay would work on whatever service you have on your phone (i.e. Verizon).
Old 11-30-2016, 03:58 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I think wireless internet uses Verizon (This is the Porsche telematics suite). Also the Apple CarPlay doesn't have a data plan. It uses your own iPhone. You plug in your iPhone and you get CarPlay on the screen. So CarPlay would work on whatever service you have on your phone (i.e. Verizon).
It uses AT&T, at least on my car which I bought new from a dealer in Texas (thanks Park Place!) and use in California. Of course, it's just a SIM card so I don't see why it wouldn't work with any of the mobile providers. The default trial period provided by Porsche was only with AT&T.

If you connect your phone to the cars built in wifi, then it uses that, not your phones data plan. However, at least with the AT&T plans that were available to me, it was way more economical to use my normal phones data plan instead of the cars wifi plan. Either way, it's nice to have both, just in case.

-mike
Old 11-30-2016, 09:20 PM
hami
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't think it's worth using the SIM/hotspot from the car (I let me promotion period expire then tried to activate it but figured out a better solution), I make better use out of a mobile hot spot (AT&T mobile unit costs about 60 bucks and it uses my mobile data plan) , particularly Blackvue dash cam that you can use via the cloud. I wanted to be able to have access to the internet when the car is not switched on, the mobile hot spot allows you to access the dash cam when the car is parked and off.

Stealthpilot is right CarPlay uses your IPHONE access, here in California the promotion Web/car hotspot is with AT&T.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:47 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hami
I honestly don't think it's worth using the SIM/hotspot from the car (I let me promotion period expire then tried to activate it but figured out a better solution), I make better use out of a mobile hot spot (AT&T mobile unit costs about 60 bucks and it uses my mobile data plan) , particularly Blackvue dash cam that you can use via the cloud. I wanted to be able to have access to the internet when the car is not switched on, the mobile hot spot allows you to access the dash cam when the car is parked and off.

Stealthpilot is right CarPlay uses your IPHONE access, here in California the promotion Web/car hotspot is with AT&T.
Hotspot doesn't make sense in a 911. It's a feature which is normally intended for minivans and SUVs where a driver may want to share wifi access with passengers. It doesn't make sense for the driver who will already have a data plan on his phone and will have the phone connected to the car enabling CarPlay.

So basically if OP sticks with CarPlay then he will be using his existing Verizon plan and enjoying great coverage.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:14 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

There are several systems / tools at work here -- this is my take on how they work:
1) PCM / NAV System / Hot Spot -- This uses the ATT SIM (I live in California / may be different in other markets) that slides into the front SIM slot, services the Google Nav function, including look up of destinations when inputting them, traffic, hot spot. Three months free, then you need a plan if you wish to continue with this convenience. If you have an ATT plan with a data package, you can add this SIM for $10/mo, and use data in your bundled plan -- that's what I do (signed up for it, but I still have 2+ months of the free service). If you don't have an ATT plan, you can still purchase this functionality separately, but it's not cheap. Not sure, but it may be possible to plug your phone into the USB connection in center console and get some of the functionality.

2) Car Connect -- This has it's own SIM card (hidden -- not sure of carrier) and you get one year free for Remote functionality from your iPhone -- including locking door remotely (status), tire pressure, gas gauge, and location of your car (basically to find your car). There are other features / packages you can purchase for Safety / Security -- can't try them w/o paying fees.

3) Car Play -- Need to plug your iPhone into center console, and there are APP's available, including Music, Apple Maps, etc. I've found this not to be useful -- considering the great functionality of the PCM using the ATT SIM. Don't want to plug my phone in every time I get into the car.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
There are several systems / tools at work here -- this is my take on how they work:
1) PCM / NAV System / Hot Spot -- This uses the ATT SIM (I live in California / may be different in other markets) that slides into the front SIM slot, services the Google Nav function, including look up of destinations when inputting them, traffic, hot spot. Three months free, then you need a plan if you wish to continue with this convenience. If you have an ATT plan with a data package, you can add this SIM for $10/mo, and use data in your bundled plan -- that's what I do (signed up for it, but I still have 2+ months of the free service). If you don't have an ATT plan, you can still purchase this functionality separately, but it's not cheap. Not sure, but it may be possible to plug your phone into the USB connection in center console and get some of the functionality.
+1, works well for me, my Range also has AT&T and i just added both cars to my 40 GB a month i get. The radio is GSM so if its unlocked T Mobile might work but sprint or Verizon will not work at all. If i had to bet i'd say its locked though. theres agreements to make AT&T the defualt provider and they wouldn't want to lose that advantage I'm sure
Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
2) Car Connect -- This has it's own SIM card (hidden -- not sure of carrier) and you get one year free for Remote functionality from your iPhone -- including locking door remotely (status), tire pressure, gas gauge, and location of your car (basically to find your car). There are other features / packages you can purchase for Safety / Security -- can't try them w/o paying fees.

3) Car Play -- Need to plug your iPhone into center console, and there are APP's available, including Music, Apple Maps, etc. I've found this not to be useful -- considering the great functionality of the PCM using the ATT SIM. Don't want to plug my phone in every time I get into the car.
Good Post!
1. My testing shows that if you do not use ATT to the supplied removable SIM and use your iPhone as a 'Hot Spot', you get basic NAV but not 'Real Time' road & traffic info.
There is no other option for full functionality.
2. There are three packages offered, one is free for a year, the other two require activation through your Dealer and Cobra Telematics.
One is for air bag deployment notification. I don't have it.
The third is for Security Services and includes vehicle tracking, law enforcement notification and assist of recovery as well as preventing car from starting. I have this because LOJACK is not available in Wisconsin.
3, CarPlay is only worthwhile using if your 'MUSIC' is stored on your iPhone because if you BlueTooth your MUSIC to the car, the dynamic range is much less than a UBS connection.
4. No one at Porsche I can contact really knows how everything actually works. You will have to get Service to input code into your car you get from Cobra Telematics when you sign up.
ATT Sim activation can only be done on-line and it can be done whether or not ATT is your main carrier.-Richard

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and wireless internet