Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Noo-b here!

Old 10-30-2016, 10:02 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I'm really stuck on the CL wheels. Call me old school but I really don't like them! I like having a spare when I go out of town and I'm pretty sure there isn't a CL spare option, yet.
I can take or leave the PCCB; it is ideal for the track for sure but not really practical otherwise.
I like the extra torque/hp of the TTS but that can easily be fixed. They both have the exact same engine but different turbos, is my understanding. It's not like the RS vs S models in Audis (different turbos plus engine components).
What am I missing besides bragging rights? We have our fill of "stiff necked" ego maniacs here in O.C. and there's no need to add one more :-)
the 5 lug has a spare option? News to me.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Must be in Porsche's "Extra" Exclusive section, under the spare tire roof rack option.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Must be in Porsche's "Extra" Exclusive section, under the spare tire roof rack option.

lol

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
You can buy a 5 lug spare tire from e-bay or online. I prefer having a spare for peace of mind on road trips. Having worked for my old man growing up, who owned a tire shop, I've learned a thing or two about tires. A nail on the tread itself usually causes a slow leak and you can use the "gunk" and tire repair kit as a temporary fix. Heck, you can even drive around for 100s of miles without even realizing it. Murphy's law is always at work and I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a blown tire. Nails have a way of finding the side wall of a tire more often than you realize.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:59 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ace37
I was originally planning to get a C2S, but in the end I was spending so much on options I decided to look at the TT. Then I changed my order.

I didn't want centerlocks so much that I would actually pay extra to delete them. (Don't tell Porsche, they'll bill me!) Some love them. I just don't. I would take PCCBs for free but they don't get me very excited. I'd buy the +40hp package a la carte for $5 or maybe $10k, but it would have been around $20k with my build and I don't care that much.

Just like with the C2/4, I look at the S model as essentially a large options package. Most of the equipment is available a la carte, some is cheaper or standard on the S, and a few things are restricted to the S. If you really want the restricted options or want a fairly loaded build the S usually makes more sense. The turbo S is also a top 911 trim level, and that might be important to you. Finally, the cost spread is only 10-15% so if you can comfortably afford one you can afford the other.

I plan to just drive my TT until the warranty is up, and then I'll give a lot of though to making the car feel new again by changing the full exhaust system, intercoolers, and retuning. I could also swap the turbos if that's not enough. After those changes I would expect a TT and TTS to offer identical performance.

For me the S wasn't worth getting. YMMV.
As the saying goes, "you can never have enough money, p**sy, and power".
The TTS offers a lot but to me, I don't want to pay the extra $20-$30K over a TT. .1 to .2 time difference (0-60 & 1/4 mi) is not enough. The TTS and TT have the exact same engine but different turbos, unlike the Audi (ie. RS vs. S models). The RS models have different engine components than the S models even though they are both 4.0. I'm not completely sold on the TTS and I'm leaning towards the TT. I spec'd out a TT with everything I want and it came out to about $172K; the same TTS was $200K. It would be nice to have the "S" badge but around my neck of the woods, many folks own really nice exotic cars and a Porsche just does not stand out, and I like that! Besides, I'm not into name brands. My wife....different story. I digress.
I also plan on keeping it stock (except a aftermarket exhaust, wheels, and lowering springs-maybe) for a couple of years and when I get bored with the power, I'll end up getting a tune, intercoolers, and bigger turbos. Btw, you will get well north of stock TTS numbers with these mods. Who really knows but that's my plan for now.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 10-30-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:59 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

As the saying goes, "you can never have enough money, p**sy, and power".
The TTS offers a lot but to me, I don't want to pay the extra $20-$30K over a TT. .1 to .2 time difference (0-60 & 1/4 mi) is not enough. The TTS and TT have the exact same engine but different turbos, unlike the Audi (ie. RS vs. S models). The RS models have different engine components than the S models even though they are both 4.0. I'm not completely sold on the TTS and I'm leaning towards the TT. I spec'd out a TT with everything I want and it came out to about $172K; the same TTS was $200K. It would be nice to have the "S" badge but around my neck of the woods, many folks own really nice exotic cars and a Porsche just does not stand out, and I like that! Besides, I'm not into name brands. My wife....different story. I digress.
I also plan on keeping it stock (except a aftermarket exhaust, wheels, and lowering springs-maybe) for a couple of years and when I get bored with the power, I'll end up getting a tune, intercoolers, and bigger turbos. Btw, you will get well north of stock TTS numbers with these mods. Who really knows but that's my plan for now.
Sounds like we think alike on what to buy - and we'll all look forward to seeing what you decide on!

I realized what I posted was pretty unclear - what I meant was I would expect that for power output, with a full exhaust including HFC, tune, intercoolers, and turbos, TT=TTS=both well beyond 580bhp. I do wonder if a reflashed-but-otherwise-stock TT would produce more than 580bhp.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:45 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ace37
Sounds like we think alike on what to buy - and we'll all look forward to seeing what you decide on!

I realized what I posted was pretty unclear - what I meant was I would expect that for power output, with a full exhaust including HFC, tune, intercoolers, and turbos, TT=TTS=both well beyond 580bhp. I do wonder if a reflashed-but-otherwise-stock TT would produce more than 580bhp.
I'm still a couple of years out but I started studying up on things early on since this will my my dream build. Who knows what changes will come in the next couple of years.
I've never owned a Porsche so i couldn't be a 100% sure but on turbo charged engines, a simple ECU remap can safely and noticeably bump up the HP & torque from my experience. I would think that 40+ HP/torque increase should be fairly easy to achieve from a simple stage 1 using just pump gas, IMHO. I figure I can take the 20 grand and make even a greater monster out of the TT! Or....I may just be happy with stock...probably not.
I also need a airport car and I refuse to drive boring cars; life is too short, as you know. I plan on buying a new VW Golf R and modding that as well. For this reason alone, I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy with a new TT -- 2 toys for the price of one!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:55 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm still a couple of years out but I started studying up on things early on since this will my my dream build. Who knows what changes will come in the next couple of years.
I've never owned a Porsche so i couldn't be a 100% sure but on turbo charged engines, a simple ECU remap can safely and noticeably bump up the HP & torque from my experience. I would think that 40+ HP/torque increase should be fairly easy to achieve from a simple stage 1 using just pump gas, IMHO. I figure I can take the 20 grand and make even a greater monster out of the TT! Or....I may just be happy with stock...probably not.
If you haven't already read them all, 6speed has lots of good discussions on that topic with some tuning results and so forth.

I think the only thing you really need to do though is take the plunge and join the rest of us here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/899151-official-waiting-room-for-those-with-a-new-991-2-on-order-come-on-in.html

Welcome to the Porsche community!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noo-b here!