Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tire Issue, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 PM
hami
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Issue, Questions

Having the car for only 4 months i got my first puncture! Rear wheel at the side so I have to replace the tire. I've ordered the tire will be here tomorrow. Has anyone a car tire sealant before to much success? I have to try and get some air in their to drive it to the dealer for repair hopefully the sealant can raise and hold adequate amount of air. The distance is about 10 miles. I was told not to pull out the nail. You can hear air escaping very loudly.

My second question is how many have purchased the Wheel/Tire and car protection warranty and for how much. My dealer in SoCA indicated it can be used for Wheel replacement and repair, tire repair and replacement, dent correction to the door and $2000 toward windshield replacement with no deductibles up to 5 years coverage. They charge $2800 for five years but I am sure I can probably get it down to $2000.

Any advice on the above.

Cheers,

H
Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't use the sealant, it will make the wheel a mess and is a pain to remove.

How long does it hold air? Is it enough to drive 10 miles?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:08 AM
hami
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it may give me 10 minutes possibly 15, risky without something. I am thinking I can probably put in 50+ psi as the tire is going to be replaced. Getting there I don't my speed with go above 60mph.

Anyone picked up the Porsche 5 year tire/wheel warranty? Good,bad,worth it? What price I am getting $2800, I am figuring at least 30% too high.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:46 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I always carry a Tire Repair and Puncture Sealing Kit with insertion tools and plugs in the car.
Once plugged, you can drive on the tire great distances until a replacement Tire can be located.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:01 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's mynunderstanding that Porsche will pay for the car (while under warranty) to be transported (via Porsche approved transport company) to the nearest dealership at their cost.

You pay for the for the tire and, omthe extent incurred, your personal transportation, lodging etc.....
Old 08-26-2016, 01:22 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

I had a nail in a turbo with 100 miles on it. Porsche does not approve plugging tires and would like to sell a new tire. I plugged it and 5 years later when I sold the car it held air perfectly. It depends on where the nail goes in on the tire but I have plugged many tires and never had a leak down. Sidewall injuries are not repairable.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:22 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

The other possible issue is how much wear there is on the tire on the same axle on the other side. If there's more than 2/32" difference in tread depth it might be a problem - my dealer wouldn't replace just one because the difference was too great.

Worse for me, I had Michelins on the car and at the time there were only Pirellis available anywhere in the US. Because the car is all wheel drive Porsche told the dealer they had to replace all four because different brands on the front and rear axle is apparently a no-no.

Oh and I was told that the rear tire sizes aren't warrantable so you might want to check that a plan you buy does cover them.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:20 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

i have rim and tire insurance on most of my cars including the 991 turbo, deem it mandatory with 20" wheels

Quick Reply: Tire Issue, Questions