Sponsored by: Road Spy

Preventing intercooler pipes from coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:58 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Preventing intercooler pipes from coming loose

A couple of months ago, I would hear a pretty loud hissing sound from the passenger side rear of the car under heavy boost. This was a new sound that started happening after a new Y-pipe and intake plenum was installed.

After removing the rear bumper, I checked the entire intake tract and when I went to push against the passenger side pipe that led into the intercooler to make sure it was tight, it clicked into place. After putting everything back together, the hissing sound under boost disappeared and I was reading full boost again under WOT.

Fast forward to now and the hissing sound is back, as is some extra rattling sounds when going over bumps. I haven't yet taken the car apart to diagnose it but I'm expecting the intercooler pipe to be loose again.

Do people have suggestions to prevent the pipe from coming loose? The way the pipe fittings work doesn't really allow a pipe clamp or anything to be used to reinforce it. I came across a GT2 owner who had a similar issue and he mentioned using silicone lubricant for the o-ring or seal to help.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ted-boost.html
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading your link, and what your GT2 owner says just goes to show what little some actually know. You wouldn't put any form of lubricant anywhere near those hoses or connections!

If your throttle body to Y pipe hose connection has blown off at the Y pipe you will need to replace it now. And do NOT lubricate it. Use a spray which removes any form of lubricant residue from ALL mating surfaces before refitting the new hose, make sure the inner hose ridge is interlocking 100% into the mating groove of the Y pipe and then torque clamp to factory spec. It will never come off under boost if it has been fitted correctly.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:50 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

I wound up cleaning my y pipe to TB connection with brake cleaner and using hairspray on it. Tightened the clamp as much as I could stand. Has stayed on so far through 2 spirited drives and a few launches.

YMMV though because those lower IC pipes are all plastic IIRC and hairspray probably won't work.

Quick Reply: Preventing intercooler pipes from coming loose