Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I run Pagid's on the race car. I don't recall for sure but think they are yellows. My car (986 S) stops unbelievably well. My other brake mods include ss lines, high temp,fluid, GT3 master cylinder, and GT2 brake cooling ducts. All that and significant pro coaching solved all my brake overheating issues. At Sebring. In the heat of the summer.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I run Pagid's on the race car. I don't recall for sure but think they are yellows. My car (986 S) stops unbelievably well. My other brake mods include ss lines, high temp,fluid, GT3 master cylinder, and GT2 brake cooling ducts. All that and significant pro coaching solved all my brake overheating issues. At Sebring. In the heat of the summer.
I used to run Castrol React brake fluid on my GT4, worked very well on that car.
It was a huge improvement so I think I will change before next track session.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kelly_aurora
Guys, looking for recommendations on track pads for .2 turbo? Not unhappy with Porsche pads (2 sets so far), wondering about experience with other pads on the track.

Currently running:
- SC2's or Trofeo R (depending on what's in stock)
- SRF fluid
- Forgeline wheels
- Camber -1.9F -2.5R

Approx 20-30 track days per year. Not a DD, but does see a fair amount of street use.
Nice spec
Tell us about your experience on Cup2's vs Trofeo's
Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Why are you not happy with the pads? What's the source of the unhappiness?

I love the stock TTS pads for their initial bite on track - I can brake later - but as soon as they cool off they start to flake and crumble and generally sound really terrible on the street, and they don't last very long for track use.

I tried Pagid RSC1 and generally liked them from the perspective of holding up to the track, but they didn't have the same bite. Never much fade. Finally, I tried the OEM GT3/GT3RS/GT4 pads for PCCB and they are very similar to the Pagid, but much cheaper. I wish there was a pad with the bite of the stock TTS, but didn't chunk up. For now, I'm going to use the TTS pads for autocross and stay with GT3RS pads for track.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer
Nice spec
Tell us about your experience on Cup2's vs Trofeo's
My $0.02 in opinion on the tires:
Stock P Zero's - Good for daily driving and when it's pouring rain at the track. On dry track limits are low but provide lots of notice before they give up.
Cup 2's - On track more stick than stock P Zero's, fairly even wear pattern, plenty of tire squeal when approaching limit, feels like they heat cycle out before wearing out
Trofeo R - Most stick of the three, outsides wear very quickly if no camber adjustment, with camber adjustment better wear pattern but not as good as the Cup2's, least feedback of the three when they approach limit.

I run the stock P Zero's on the factory wheels and usually opt for the Trofeo's for track day wheels.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 AM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Why are you not happy with the pads? What's the source of the unhappiness?

I love the stock TTS pads for their initial bite on track - I can brake later - but as soon as they cool off they start to flake and crumble and generally sound really terrible on the street, and they don't last very long for track use.

I tried Pagid RSC1 and generally liked them from the perspective of holding up to the track, but they didn't have the same bite. Never much fade. Finally, I tried the OEM GT3/GT3RS/GT4 pads for PCCB and they are very similar to the Pagid, but much cheaper. I wish there was a pad with the bite of the stock TTS, but didn't chunk up. For now, I'm going to use the TTS pads for autocross and stay with GT3RS pads for track.
I'm not "unhappy" with the pads, I'm running stock Porsche steel rotors. Good initial bite and feel, progressive the more you push on the pedal. Life felt a bit short - about 5ish track days.

Just looking for other peoples experiences with different pads to try.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

I'm not "unhappy" with the pads, I'm running stock Porsche steel rotors. Good initial bite and feel, progressive the more you push on the pedal. Life felt a bit short - about 5ish track days.

Just looking for other peoples experiences with different pads to try.
Gotcha, now I have the context. I also use React fluid, too, which I just have a ton of confidence in.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

My $0.02 in opinion on the tires:
Stock P Zero's - Good for daily driving and when it's pouring rain at the track. On dry track limits are low but provide lots of notice before they give up.
Cup 2's - On track more stick than stock P Zero's, fairly even wear pattern, plenty of tire squeal when approaching limit, feels like they heat cycle out before wearing out
Trofeo R - Most stick of the three, outsides wear very quickly if no camber adjustment, with camber adjustment better wear pattern but not as good as the Cup2's, least feedback of the three when they approach limit.

I run the stock P Zero's on the factory wheels and usually opt for the Trofeo's for track day wheels.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, similar info as from several guys at my local track. Some claim lap times are 1-2 seconds faster with Trofeo (track is around 1,35mins).
Now that I put on more camber tire wear will improve, so I think Trofeos will be next.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151

I tried Pagid RSC1 and generally liked them from the perspective of holding up to the track, but they didn't have the same bite.
If you want more bite than RSC1, the 4927 pad shape is also offered in RSC2 & RSC3.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi...4927-pagid.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 PM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Thought I would do a brake pad change DIY for the first time. Wanted to get your thoughts if the current set of pads is worthy of another track day (or two).

Stock Brake Pad
Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Are you tracking with the nanny on?
I was frying the PCCBs on my 991.1T because the system was so active.

The brakes were way less stressed with the nanny off and lasted a lot longer.

It's a shame the Turbo doesn't have separate controls for ESC & Traction control like the GT3.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Personally, I would track them another weekend.

I rarely see any intervention from ECS or TC. Work on smoothness.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Randy I think the issue is more related to the PTV activating which I don't believe triggers the ESC warning. I rarely saw ESC interventions but the brakes were cooking (on some tracks).

I now have a GT3RS for track and it doesn't exhibit the same issue, Im guessing because of a combination of less weight and less aggressive PTV system.

But I agree, smooth is best
Old 06-22-2017, 12:08 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

PTV is mostly active in the rear brakes. A lot of track guys say their rear brakes wear faster than the fronts, but I have not experienced that. My fronts wear faster than the rears. I think the track does play in big role. VIR is technical, but also very fast, so I think it probably averages out.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cookie991
Are you tracking with the nanny on?
I was frying the PCCBs on my 991.1T because the system was so active.

The brakes were way less stressed with the nanny off and lasted a lot longer.

It's a shame the Turbo doesn't have separate controls for ESC & Traction control like the GT3.

Cheers
I track with the nannies on, I don't have the ***** (or talent) to track without them, my home track is Mosport (lots of concrete walls).

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo