Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Old 06-06-2017, 06:54 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
Why many are talking of PS4S and PSS used for track use when those are just ordinary everyday road tires? Cup2 is the way to go and is an absolutely different league when it comes to track use.

Cup2 is an exceptional tire because you can use it as a daily drive since they made it:
- extremely comfortable and very close to PSS & PS4S
- being absolutely reasonable in the rain as for a semi-slick tire

I have cup2 at BMW M5 F10 and use it as a daily drive for the warm season. My M5 never sees track as one can imagine, but it is such a better grip that I had no doubts whether to put it or not. MPSS is left as a tire for long trips being 1000+ km in case I expect rainy weather during those trips.
Of course R compound rubber is the preferred and most effective for tracking the car. I ran Circuit of the Americas in the middle of a 3000 mile rally so my car was wearing Pilot super Sports and performed well and lapping many of the other Exotics on the rally. Of course it would have been even faster with an R compound tire such as Sport Cup 2s or Trofeo Rs or Max Race.

My point is that if your car is only wearing regular summer rubber the Pilot Super Sports performed well and much better than the description of how the P Zeros performed.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:50 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Of course R compound rubber is the preferred and most effective for tracking the car. I ran Circuit of the Americas in the middle of a 3000 mile rally so my car was wearing Pilot super Sports and performed well and lapping many of the other Exotics on the rally. Of course it would have been even faster with an R compound tire such as Sport Cup 2s or Trofeo Rs or Max Race.

My point is that if your car is only wearing regular summer rubber the Pilot Super Sports performed well and much better than the description of how the P Zeros performed.
I agree p zero is probably the worst tire out of good options. Super Sport and PS4s is the way to go if one considers all weather summer tire.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:16 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree p zero is probably the worst tire out of good options. Super Sport and PS4s is the way to go if one considers all weather summer tire.
Yes the P Zero was horrid on my car. I took them off within 1000 miles and sold them
Old 06-07-2017, 03:19 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Why many are talking of PS4S and PSS used for track use when those are just ordinary everyday road tires? Cup2 is the way to go and is an absolutely different league when it comes to track use.

Cup2 is an exceptional tire because you can use it as a daily drive since they made it:
- extremely comfortable and very close to PSS & PS4S
- being absolutely reasonable in the rain as for a semi-slick tire

I have cup2 at BMW M5 F10 and use it as a daily drive for the warm season. My M5 never sees track as one can imagine, but it is such a better grip that I had no doubts whether to put it or not. MPSS is left as a tire for long trips being 1000+ km in case I expect rainy weather during those trips.
Yes, SC2s are better track tires, but some of us use our cars year round and don't want to swap tires when temps fall below the safe operating zone for them.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have the shop putting on my Tarrett front camberplates tomorrow.
Any of you have experience with those? Will they cause any rubbing? Thinking to go -2,0.
I run 265/35x20 front.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:54 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer
I will have the shop putting on my Tarrett front camberplates tomorrow.
Any of you have experience with those? Will they cause any rubbing? Thinking to go -2,0.
I run 265/35x20 front.

Yes you may rub at full turn lock. If those tire sizes are larger diameter especially. When you change plates you still get rubber suspension bushing deflection. Karl runs 265's, you may want to ask him. I have Tarett plates with other susp pieces that make sure I don't get rubbing even with camber at -3 for my Trofeos.

Hopefully you won't have any issue, but it will get down to alignment and caster. Lowering would have an impact too. Let us know, good luck !
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nolimits
Yes you may rub at full turn lock. If those tire sizes are larger diameter especially. When you change plates you still get rubber suspension bushing deflection. Karl runs 265's, you may want to ask him. I have Tarett plates with other susp pieces that make sure I don't get rubbing even with camber at -3 for my Trofeos.

Hopefully you won't have any issue, but it will get down to alignment and caster. Lowering would have an impact too. Let us know, good luck !

No rubbing at all. I run stock height and will continue like that.

Will take to track tuesday and test out.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:27 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No rubbing at all. I run stock height and will continue like that.

Will take to track tuesday and test out.

Great, when I had issues on my vette it didn't usually show til track. With stock height hope you are good to go. Enjoy !
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What are people using for seats, cage and harnesses? Are people running the folding bucket seats found in the 7/GT2 and 991 GT3?

I'm thinking of picking up a 991 turbo at some point perhaps in the next 12 months and would use it on the track.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:15 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r
What are people using for seats, cage and harnesses? Are people running the folding bucket seats found in the 7/GT2 and 991 GT3?

I'm thinking of picking up a 991 turbo at some point perhaps in the next 12 months and would use it on the track.
I have the standard bucket seats (no cost option) and my dealer installed the Heigo cage and Schroth harness. I also have my cup2's on Forgeline RE1. And now also the Tarrett camberplates that I will test out.

I ordered my car with the intension it could do it all for me. Everyday driving, tracktoy and even use it in the snow. It's really a low option car without too many gadgets. I just picked axle lift and nothing more acually apart from black lights that stand really well against the Carrera white metallic.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 AM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That's awesome, thanks!

Exactly what I'd do with one, id rather this than go down the road of another GT2 as they'll be epic $ wise here in Australia where I could get a very low km turbo/s for about 200k less
Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Very happy with how the car performs on track now, feels well balanced.

The brakes, however, fades sometimes when they are hot, I think I will need to switch to more track friendly pads.

Last edited by Nordic Flyer; 06-14-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 345 Posts

Very happy with how the car performs on track now, feels well balanced. The brakes, however, fades sometimes when they are hot, I think I will need to switch to more track friendly pads.
I suspect this has more to do with overheating the rotors and/or fluid than it does with pad selection. Switching to track pads isn't a bad idea, but don't be surprised if the brakes still fade.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I suspect this has more to do with overheating the rotors and/or fluid than it does with pad selection. Switching to track pads isn't a bad idea, but don't be surprised if the brakes still fade.
Agree, better start with replace to more heat resistant fluid.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:11 PM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Guys, looking for recommendations on track pads for .2 turbo? Not unhappy with Porsche pads (2 sets so far), wondering about experience with other pads on the track.

Currently running:
- SC2's or Trofeo R (depending on what's in stock)
- SRF fluid
- Forgeline wheels
- Camber -1.9F -2.5R

Approx 20-30 track days per year. Not a DD, but does see a fair amount of street use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo