Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:55 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Driving me crazy. Can someone please translate this? I think they were both 1.22.?? but the GT3 may have been a tick behind at 1.22.9
Old 06-03-2017, 03:57 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

That's the whole point, I doubt Rohrl wanted to show the superiority in lap times of one vs. the other, the time difference was 0.7s with a stopwatch, so pointless data but nice video.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
That's the whole point, I doubt Rohrl wanted to show the superiority in lap times of one vs. the other, the time difference was 0.7s with a stopwatch, so pointless data but nice video.
You might be right, but stopwatch to stopwatch, faster is faster. While not as definitive as a race logic or similar system the two cars are very close, and very fast. Looks like the new Turbo's have stepped it up a notch regards track ability. A similar test against an RS, Drivetribe I think, had them tied. This is with stock tires on the turbo's, no less. Impressive, at least to me, to the point that I may be trading my 15 GT3 for a new Turbo since I'm probably a year out on my GT3.2 allocation.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:10 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

The only problem with the Turbo Is resale. It is tough compared to the GT cars.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I am willing to start out at 26 all around, and then bleed to 32 front/ 34 hot. Take it easy on the first couple of out laps, and then crush everyone!
I decided to add a caveat. I track at VIR mostly, with the top speed on the back stretch hitting 165+, so keeping the tire pressure up just a tad for my safety at the higher speed is OK with me, but I will run full out when the front tires reach 28psi and above, just not over 32 front, 34 rear.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:23 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I decided to add a caveat. I track at VIR mostly, with the top speed on the back stretch hitting 165+, so keeping the tire pressure up just a tad for my safety at the higher speed is OK with me, but I will run full out when the front tires reach 28psi and above, just not over 32 front, 34 rear.
I COMPLETELY CONCUR!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
You might be right, but stopwatch to stopwatch, faster is faster. While not as definitive as a race logic or similar system the two cars are very close, and very fast. Looks like the new Turbo's have stepped it up a notch regards track ability. A similar test against an RS, Drivetribe I think, had them tied. This is with stock tires on the turbo's, no less. Impressive, at least to me, to the point that I may be trading my 15 GT3 for a new Turbo since I'm probably a year out on my GT3.2 allocation.
Agreed. A tie on a stop watch still doesn't account for the tires being so different. That is worth a few seconds on any car on a 2 minute course. The potential is there. You are making rethink keeping the GT3 and passing on that March allocation for Turbo S!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Just finished my first track day with the 991.1 TTS. AutoClub Speedway in SoCal. It's a very fast track where horsepower and big breaks are key but there are also a number of very slow speed corners and U turns which rewards the lighter cars with good turn-in. Car is all stock with 4,000 miles including PZero N0's. Just have power mods GIAC/Champion tune intercoolers exhaust upgraded 68mm turbos 100% meth.

I have only one comment - these tires are completely inadequate! Whoever is getting laps times as good as GT3 and GT3 RS kudos.

In my case I melted the tires in less than 10 laps. First, no threshold braking. The brakes completely outmatch the tire capabilities. The car turns amazing for stock camber and all this weight but slips and sides al over I was fighting it every low speed corner. PSM off of course. Started tire pressure in the high 20's and they felt best in the low 30's but with all the sliding around they heated up quickly. It was a hot day around 85-90 def F so I'm sure that didn't help.

On TrofeoR's this thing should be a lot better. I'll give it a shot someday but in the mean time I just bought a 991.1 GT3 to tide me over for a while.

Cheers.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by longboarder
Just finished my first track day with the 991.1 TTS. AutoClub Speedway in SoCal. It's a very fast track where horsepower and big breaks are key but there are also a number of very slow speed corners and U turns which rewards the lighter cars with good turn-in. Car is all stock with 4,000 miles including PZero N0's. Just have power mods GIAC/Champion tune intercoolers exhaust upgraded 68mm turbos 100% meth.

I have only one comment - these tires are completely inadequate! Whoever is getting laps times as good as GT3 and GT3 RS kudos.

In my case I melted the tires in less than 10 laps. First, no threshold braking. The brakes completely outmatch the tire capabilities. The car turns amazing for stock camber and all this weight but slips and sides al over I was fighting it every low speed corner. PSM off of course. Started tire pressure in the high 20's and they felt best in the low 30's but with all the sliding around they heated up quickly. It was a hot day around 85-90 def F so I'm sure that didn't help.

On TrofeoR's this thing should be a lot better. I'll give it a shot someday but in the mean time I just bought a 991.1 GT3 to tide me over for a while.

Cheers.
You spent all that money on the engine mods, but left the all season summer tires? You bought a GT3 instead of $1600 worth of Cup2 tires, like the GT3 runs on? I think a tire upgrade is in order before you throw in the towel on this car.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM
longboarder
Pro

You spent all that money on the engine mods, but left the all season summer tires? You bought a GT3 instead of $1600 worth of Cup2 tires, like the GT3 runs on? I think a tire upgrade is in order before you throw in the towel on this car.

Randy you are making way too much sense!! haha.

My 991 Turbo S was never meant to be a track car for me. I just sold my 2011 (997.2) Turbo S which was fully built (by GMG) track and airstrip car. The GT3 will be a track-only car (until my 991.2 GT3 arrives) and my 991 Turbo S will be airstrip only car. I tracked the 991 Turbo S yesterday because I wanted to see how it would do. For the airstrip I have rear R888's for the 991 Turbo S by the way. If they made R888's for the fronts I would have tracked with R888's on all 4's which would have made a huge difference. Oh well it's always fun getting the tail out in a controlled environment.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Randy you are making way too much sense!! haha.

My 991 Turbo S was never meant to be a track car for me. I just sold my 2011 (997.2) Turbo S which was fully built (by GMG) track and airstrip car. The GT3 will be a track-only car (until my 991.2 GT3 arrives) and my 991 Turbo S will be airstrip only car. I tracked the 991 Turbo S yesterday because I wanted to see how it would do. For the airstrip I have rear R888's for the 991 Turbo S by the way. If they made R888's for the fronts I would have tracked with R888's on all 4's which would have made a huge difference. Oh well it's always fun getting the tail out in a controlled environment.
With your engine mods, and a set of Cup2 tires, there is no GT3 that would be able to keep up with you on most any track. I'm sure of it.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM
longboarder
Pro

With your engine mods, and a set of Cup2 tires, there is no GT3 that would be able to keep up with you on most any track. I'm sure of it.

I'm sure with a proper wheel/tire combination (forged monoblock with slicks) with track alignment, this car would be hard to beat by any car on a fast track with the exception of maybe the hypercars.

But for me it's not all about that. My favorite track car has been my e92 M3. high revving NA motor with DCT transmission. Very easy to control and have fun with. It was no where near my fastest track car. That honor goes to the silver bullet (997.2) which was quite a bit faster than my current 991.1 Turbo S. The 991 GT3 will likely be similar to my old e92 M3 but with the Porsche 911 dynamics. Slower but more rewarding for me.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Cheers.
I had a similar experience with my stock 991.1 Turbo with OEM P-Zeros. Could never get comfortable laps on those tires, so I went to MPSS (which have since been superseded by the 4S). Of course, I haven't seen a track day yet with the new tires! But on my other car with MPSS, I was turning easy 1:40 - 1:45 laps at Laguna Seca, even with traffic and waiting for a point-by here and there.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I had a similar experience with my stock 991.1 Turbo with OEM P-Zeros. Could never get comfortable laps on those tires, so I went to MPSS (which have since been superseded by the 4S). Of course, I haven't seen a track day yet with the new tires! But on my other car with MPSS, I was turning easy 1:40 - 1:45 laps at Laguna Seca, even with traffic and waiting for a point-by here and there.
I tracked my 991.1 TTS when it was just tune and exhaust modded and it performed well with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Old 06-06-2017, 02:18 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Why many are talking of PS4S and PSS used for track use when those are just ordinary everyday road tires? Cup2 is the way to go and is an absolutely different league when it comes to track use.

Cup2 is an exceptional tire because you can use it as a daily drive since they made it:
- extremely comfortable and very close to PSS & PS4S
- being absolutely reasonable in the rain as for a semi-slick tire

I have cup2 at BMW M5 F10 and use it as a daily drive for the warm season. My M5 never sees track as one can imagine, but it is such a better grip that I had no doubts whether to put it or not. MPSS is left as a tire for long trips being 1000+ km in case I expect rainy weather during those trips.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo