Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Results

Originally Posted by nolimits
Can't wait, things getting installed now. Keeping street ride but sport mode will be much better. Black/black with OEM powder coated extra wheels and a couple sets of Trofeos, Pagids to go with the ceramics, widened front end, lots camber all around. The DSC for suspension control and improvement. A little sound to bring some life to things too. More when I get to sort it out.

Got to the track and had a chance to run this set-up more. Goal was to maintain street ride but improve track ride in Sport without harshness. Firmer cornering, less brake dive and acceleration squat, better transient response, flexibility to tune and change configuration. Camber at 2.8 & 2.4. Widened front end, and improved stick all around with the R's over stock of course.

Comments:

Rennline mesh grille guards – center and sides, front bumper has to come off, so a bit of a pain. The mesh is alloy and stronger than some of the plastics so was worth the effort to me.

AWE mirror wind deflectors – worked as advertised, easy install, front leading corner of both has no mount so they are loose up there. Easy to fix and modify sometime.

Pagid RSC1 pads - more even modulation and not the high initial bite as OEM with ceramics.

Tarett front camber plates, front lower control arms, axel spacer kit, shims, lower control arm spacers, rear long & medium upper control arms, boot ends – This set-up is great, it gave me the camber adjustability I wanted and more. Now soft tires can be run with even wear, temperatures, and proper full contact patch advantage. Added much better road feel and responsiveness. Some rubber bushings were replaced with mono/spherical so some less deflection, but enough rubber left to keep DD ride.

DSC V2 controller - Easy install, product does what is advertised well. Brake dive and acceleration squat were cut in about half I’d say. Ride on initial travel of shocks is smooth but does firm up well upon harder cornering and Gs. Better stability. Street is good, but Sport is definitely improved.

Sharkworks catback exhaust - brought some life to things, at start-up fast idle they are some louder. Once idle settles noise is a little more than OEM. Things change upon throttle or above 2000 rpm. They sound off at a nice medium level and have some deceleration burble. Great happy medium to me, quiet at freeway low revs, but anytime you get on it sound arrives. Not like a GT3 rev to 9k or a catless header system by any means, but a good street compromise.

OEM wheels, powder coated, Trofeo Rs – Nice stick as expected over OEM PZero, they will wear quick too, no surprise.

Feel and handling – Overall car has more road feel and control, little more noise on rough surfaces. Going to try some track tuning of DSC and more tire pressure changes, default DSC is very good though. The OEM understeer is gone and the car can be driven with the rear as needed. Really happy with changes to the car and would recommend something similar for those with same goals. If you’ve driven fully set-up track cars this is not going to compare with the taught-ness, rigidity, flatness and turn-in of a car with firm springs/coilovers, steel bushings, big sways, or raw exhaust sounds. But I can’t think of a better dual purpose ride though!

Hats off to a couple of shops in particular, Cantrell Motorsports, and Tarett Engineering. Great folks to work with and the package hit the bulls eye for my wants.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I used up my Pagid RSC1 brake pads, and this time I tried the Porsche OEM pads for the GT3RS/GT3/GT4 with ceramics. I liked them much better than Pagid or TTS stock pads. Bite is better, feel is consistent and strong, and I just had a more confident response from them. TTS pads stop great, but they scream and pop and grind like crazy back in the paddock after a session - they are not designed to handle the heat of a track session.

Also, GT3RS pads (for ceramic) are cheaper than anything else if you get them from Suncoast. I put a couple of days on them so far at VIR, and heading up to WGI next weekend and will report back again. So far, my fav of the three.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Mmmmm love those new black wheels and Trofeo's. Nice dry day coming Sat to really ring it out
Old 05-30-2017, 04:25 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a standard turbo s rims being 9*20 et51 front and 11.5*20 et56.

Having read this thread I am planning to go 265 + 325 combo michelin cup2.
Do you go the route 265/35/20 + 325/30/20 or 265/30/20 + 325/25/20?

I am at stock suspension and don't want any rubbing etc. The reason I want to go wider is:
1) I want to have better grip given that the car will have increased dynamics
2) I may use it several times at the track events.

Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:04 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

In the process of selling my 997.2 Turbo S which is my track car as I have a deposit in for a 991.2 GT3 but won't come for probably another year (down the line for second round allocation) so I'm going to try a track day this weekend with my 991.1 TTS.

Tire pressure question for you guys on the .1 PZeros N0 spec - they seem to rise dramatically even on simple spirited drives on the street. Where do you start the pressure on a track day? Forecast is low 70's early climbing to 80's afternoon. I hear mid-30's is the upper limit so will have to start really low and do a couple warm up laps I suppose.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I am willing to start out at 26 all around, and then bleed to 32 front/ 34 hot. Take it easy on the first couple of out laps, and then crush everyone!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I am willing to start out at 26 all around, and then bleed to 32 front/ 34 hot. Take it easy on the first couple of out laps, and then crush everyone!
Thanks Randy. I was afraid of that (needing to start low). The track I'm running is very tricky to get pressure correct. It has a banked CCW Roval for nearly a mile and a TTS can hit speeds well in excess of 150mph so I need to keep the passenger side tires more inflated (for safety reasons) even though they wear/warm faster than the driver's side. Sounds like I will need to start pretty low and warm up for a couple laps, do one hot lap and then come in and bleed and repeat.

I have a feeling I will need tires after this track day despite only having 4,000 miles on them (in two years lol). Do TrofeoR's come in stock TTS centerlock sizes?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by longboarder
Thanks Randy. I was afraid of that (needing to start low). The track I'm running is very tricky to get pressure correct. It has a banked CCW Roval for nearly a mile and a TTS can hit speeds well in excess of 150mph so I need to keep the passenger side tires more inflated (for safety reasons) even though they wear/warm faster than the driver's side. Sounds like I will need to start pretty low and warm up for a couple laps, do one hot lap and then come in and bleed and repeat.

I have a feeling I will need tires after this track day despite only having 4,000 miles on them (in two years lol). Do TrofeoR's come in stock TTS centerlock sizes?

Agree with Randy on air, you do need to start that low then bleed off as day heats. I do run a little less at front, 30-31 hot. Will depend on your cars alignment and configuration, assuming OEM. I run Torfeo Rs on OEM wheels and they do come in sizes you need.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by nolimits
Agree with Randy on air, you do need to start that low then bleed off as day heats. I do run a little less at front, 30-31 hot. Will depend on your cars alignment and configuration, assuming OEM. I run Torfeo Rs on OEM wheels and they do come in sizes you need.

Thx. I'll prob burn through these tires and need to look for replacements. I have a set of R888's for the rear - wish they made something to fit the front. R888's aren't the best track tire but the bulky sidewall allows them to wear better and of course at the airstrip they hook better than anything.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:37 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
In the process of selling my 997.2 Turbo S which is my track car as I have a deposit in for a 991.2 GT3 but won't come for probably another year (down the line for second round allocation) so I'm going to try a track day this weekend with my 991.1 TTS.

Tire pressure question for you guys on the .1 PZeros N0 spec - they seem to rise dramatically even on simple spirited drives on the street. Where do you start the pressure on a track day? Forecast is low 70's early climbing to 80's afternoon. I hear mid-30's is the upper limit so will have to start really low and do a couple warm up laps I suppose.
check this out

Rohr tracks both the gt3 and turbo hard, I was surprised by the results
Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by speef
check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfgFkrtI_s

Rohr tracks both the gt3 and turbo hard, I was surprised by the results
Translation please?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Translation please?
The Turbo S finished the lap at 10:29 and the GT3 at 11:16. Translation: The Turbo S is 47 minutes faster around that track.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:12 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
The Turbo S finished the lap at 10:29 and the GT3 at 11:16. Translation: The Turbo S is 47 minutes faster around that track.
Man, that new Turbo S is really is fast then. Thanks for the translation!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
What track has an 11 min lap in a GT3?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
What track has an 11 min lap in a GT3?
I was just making a joke based on Rohrl's watch times after each car's lap (although based on that, it would be an 11 hour track vs. 11 minutes!). In essence, I have no idea what the translation is.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo