Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Rear License Plate Mount (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/939878-rear-license-plate-mount.html)

GarbageMan 06-17-2016 09:23 AM

Rear License Plate Mount

I realize that this won't be the most sexy topic to be posted, but must ask a few questions about it, nonetheless...

I have a 2017 TTS ordered-and while I wait-am occasionally purchasing various small accessories. My car will be Carrara White Metallic, and the Porsche and 911 Turbo S lettering will be in black. So I ordered a license plate frame of the same sort that I use on all my cars; it is a very slim black powder coated frame made by Camiscasca, (I can't stand dealer frames or those with needless text) and for a Porsche- a four hole mount is specified, as it is with other German cars such as my current M5. So to my questions...

"What in the wide world of sports is a goin' on with Porsche and the rather haphazard plate mount at the rear of the car? It appears that the cars come from the manufacturer with two holes drilled at the top of the plate, (or the dealer drills it) mounted straight to the bumper cover (it isn't pretty if you are familiar with what I'm referencing) There are two molded in spots where the bottom two holes can be drilled (which I will do). In other words, one essentially threads the plastic material of the bumper cover with a coarse screw... It just seems rather slip-shod for a $200K+ car... Do I have the license plate mount scenario accurately depicted? Are folks running around with the plate just mounted at the top? I know it doesn't have to be a brick sh-- house, but c'mon... Thanks.

Hothonda 06-17-2016 09:46 AM

Griot's Garage....I try to keep things simple.

You can also take your dealer frame & turn it around for a narrow surround.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...9.jpg~original

GarbageMan 06-17-2016 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hothonda (Post 13382999)
Griot's Garage....I try to keep things simple.

You can also take your dealer frame & turn it around for a narrow surround.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...9.jpg~original

I'm not really talking about the frame: I have that part licked. I'm talking about the "jake-leg" mounting scenario...

white6speed 06-17-2016 10:15 AM

You are correct. There are 2 factory receivers/places for the top 2 screws and the bottom 2 just go through the bumper. Do the top 2 first and the bottom 2 should line up accordingly. Thank fully most states space all 4 holes in the same place on the tag. And you are correct again, it does seem inappropriate for this car. Also I would do it myself as I have had the dealer miss one of the top holes which insures the tag is crooked.

rcg412 06-21-2016 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by white6speed (Post 13383058)
You are correct. There are 2 factory receivers/places for the top 2 screws and the bottom 2 just go through the bumper. Do the top 2 first and the bottom 2 should line up accordingly. Thank fully most states space all 4 holes in the same place on the tag. And you are correct again, it does seem inappropriate for this car. Also I would do it myself as I have had the dealer miss one of the top holes which insures the tag is crooked.

As these cars change hands, and license plates those holes are going to get stripped pretty quickly. I would imagine a retrofit will come out!?

stealthpilot 06-21-2016 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by GarbageMan (Post 13382965)
I realize that this won't be the most sexy topic to be posted, but must ask a few questions about it, nonetheless...

I have a 2017 TTS ordered-and while I wait-am occasionally purchasing various small accessories. My car will be Carrara White Metallic, and the Porsche and 911 Turbo S lettering will be in black. So I ordered a license plate frame of the same sort that I use on all my cars; it is a very slim black powder coated frame made by Camiscasca, (I can't stand dealer frames or those with needless text) and for a Porsche- a four hole mount is specified, as it is with other German cars such as my current M5. So to my questions...

"What in the wide world of sports is a goin' on with Porsche and the rather haphazard plate mount at the rear of the car? It appears that the cars come from the manufacturer with two holes drilled at the top of the plate, (or the dealer drills it) mounted straight to the bumper cover (it isn't pretty if you are familiar with what I'm referencing) There are two molded in spots where the bottom two holes can be drilled (which I will do). In other words, one essentially threads the plastic material of the bumper cover with a coarse screw... It just seems rather slip-shod for a $200K+ car... Do I have the license plate mount scenario accurately depicted? Are folks running around with the plate just mounted at the top? I know it doesn't have to be a brick sh-- house, but c'mon... Thanks.

Maybe its better to have them not drill any holes, and then install the BMW plate holder. That uses 2 screws only, and then you mount plates to the holder with 4 screws. It will reduce risk of the holes becoming dethreaded.

andbos 06-22-2016 06:35 PM

Thats interesting, the 997 Turbo has plate holders which uses 2 screws to attach to the bumper, similar to the BMW plate holder that stealthpilot mentioned. I wonder why they dont on 991 Turbo.

GarbageMan 06-22-2016 09:06 PM

There is just no reasonable explanation for the set up the way it is. It isn't like I'm not going to buy the car because of it, but I'd love to speak to "Dieter or Bernt", whoever is the license plate guy @ Porsche to ask WTH?

stealthpilot 06-22-2016 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by GarbageMan
There is just no reasonable explanation for the set up the way it is. It isn't like I'm not going to buy the car because of it, but I'd love to speak to "Dieter or Bernt", whoever is the license plate guy @ Porsche to ask WTH?

Write a letter to the President of Porsche North America and see what they come back with!

GarbageMan 06-22-2016 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by stealthpilot (Post 13397359)
Write a letter to the President of Porsche North America and see what they come back with!

I just may do that! I assume you love your car?! November sure seems like a long time away for mine...