Main Difference between Turbo and Turbo S besides hp

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Main Difference between Turbo and Turbo S besides hp

Hey,

I have been playing with the Porsche configurator and I am trying to figure out the main difference between TT and TTS.

Obvious reasons that I know - Yes one model has a "S" badged to it and inside the dash it shows up Turbo S vs Turbo. I know it is funny but someone will say this - and it might as well be me.

Turbo S comes with Ceramic and Center Lock Wheels by default

40 hp and some rpm difference between the model. I doubt 40 hp difference is noticeable by anyone.

I know the website and some reviews state that there are some engine engines in S but are the changes drastic? can someone please chime in.

Getting a Turbo without a ceramic and center lock wheels saves lot of cash. Also, I do like the chrome exhaust in Turbo vs the black ones in Turbo S.

Can you get the Turbo S with chrome exhausts?

Thank You
Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The differences between the 2 models were gazetted by Porsche and there has since been a number of independent reviews so just do a google search - there are many there for you to read... http://jalopnik.com/2014-porsche-911...iew-1575123502

Agree the S's black tips are completely lost in the black valance... make the car appear electric powered from the rear. The standard turbo chrome tips are easily swapped. The dealer will likely do that for you FOC from other turbos in stock.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:47 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard on the S but optional on the TT is:
Center locks
Carbon ceramic brakes
Sports Chrono
PDCC
PDLS+ (high beam assist is sweet)!!
18 way seats
Leather interior package
Aluminum fuel cap

Probably more but all I can recall currently. You get a lot more car then you think with the TTS!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:15 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove both, I couldn't feel any difference aside from the options that can be added to the turbo.

One thing I must stress on, I wouldn't buy a turbo without PDCC no matter what. Just make sure you go for PDCC, it makes all the difference on fast corners.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If I recall correctly, Sport Chrono is standard on 991.2TT. It was an option on the .1.

Agree with above post: PDDC is a must have.

Many options on the S are cheaper than for the non-S.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
If I recall correctly, Sport Chrono is standard on 991.2TT. It was an option on the .1.
Yes standard now ...$4090 option on the 991.1 '15 TT (not S)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had both 2014 TT and just got a 2017 TTS. There is a noticeable difference in driving the two cars. I would opt for the TTS everytime going forward. Braking and acceleration are the two major differences.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Thanks everyone.

TTS it is

Also - Does any debris go into the side vents when driving on highway. Sometimes there are plastic bags flying or some garbage or just stuff in the air --- does that stuff get stuck in the vents and cause damage.

I see the Turbo/TTS do not have mesh on the back side vents.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:13 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut52
I have had both 2014 TT and just got a 2017 TTS. There is a noticeable difference in driving the two cars. I would opt for the TTS everytime going forward. Braking and acceleration are the two major differences.
This is comparing apples to oranges.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Thanks everyone.

TTS it is

Also - Does any debris go into the side vents when driving on highway. Sometimes there are plastic bags flying or some garbage or just stuff in the air --- does that stuff get stuck in the vents and cause damage.

I have had stuff in the front middle grille, no where else.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

I got a '15 base turbo and saved 15k vs tts. Even got pccb's. As my DD, I don't really notice the difference in power. I think there are more tts's than base turbos and i suspect ? that resale value will be better on the tts. i didn't want CL wheels and it made me mad that CL's were a $3500 option on a base turbo but if you got the 5 lug base turbo wheels on the tts, there was no discount... that's Porsche marketing for ya.
If I got a new Turbo, it would probably be the tts, although I'm not sure why since the base turbo is all the car I could ever want or need.
The following users liked this post:
tallers (07-10-2023)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone.

TTS it is

I pick out very small pebbles on occasion that seem to just be sitting there. Nothing else however. Front radiator area totally different issue.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 PM
captainkirk
Pro

With the 2 top end models, they need to make a mesh for the air intakes.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the 2 top end models, they need to make a mesh for the air intakes.
Probably, but I wouldn't have that stand in the way of buying one. You can always fit aftermarket grills if you have a habit of sniffing cars tails when there is loose debris on the surface. 2 years in I've had no problems. Trick is just sit back far enough off the car ahead and wait for the right chance to blast around it. That way you avoid a lot of other damage from any loose debris being kicked up. If you are getting radiator damage, then what about your duco and windscreen? You can't put mesh on everything...
Old 05-05-2016, 09:29 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I find pebbles sometimes is in the space after the intercoolers near the lower rear bumper. And underneath the car behind the rear fender.

Can't believe that Porsche didn't at least put a mesh on the front radiators like they did on the GT3.

Quick Reply: Main Difference between Turbo and Turbo S besides hp