Sponsored by: Road Spy

Porsche 991 Turbo/S heat soak issues

Old 03-30-2016, 05:27 AM
tekaefixe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 991 Turbo/S heat soak issues

Hi everyone ; )

I was on the fence to buy a P car because of the space, two seater and the fact that after 200km/h (124miles) it starts to lose its grunt (I come from an M5 F10 CP) but after thinking on it, i made up my mind. A turbo S it is! We dont have any kids (they should come in two years) so for now let me just have fun.

As I was searching the web learing more about the car I came across this :

http://www.************.com/content....oler)-upgrades

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...rap-speed.html

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...O-FOLLOW-AFTER

Do you guys have any idea if this is as grave as they say in these links?
I almost don't believe an over engineered car like the Turbo has these problems. Its almost as Porsche didn't to much testing....

Thank you all for the feedback ; )
Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tekaefixe
Hi everyone ; )

I was on the fence to buy a P car because of the space, two seater and the fact that after 200km/h (124miles) it starts to lose its grunt (I come from an M5 F10 CP) but after thinking on it, i made up my mind. A turbo S it is! We dont have any kids (they should come in two years) so for now let me just have fun.

As I was searching the web learing more about the car I came across this :

http://www.************.com/content....oler)-upgrades

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...rap-speed.html

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...O-FOLLOW-AFTER

Do you guys have any idea if this is as grave as they say in these links?
I almost don't believe an over engineered car like the Turbo has these problems. Its almost as Porsche didn't to much testing....

Thank you all for the feedback ; )
The car is awful... don't buy it. Total waste of money
Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I'm having a hard time determining if the OP is serious. High density of multi-dimensional fail in that post.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:05 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
The car is awful... don't buy it. Total waste of money
Exactly.... what he said!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:30 AM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in Dallas and have yet to experience any issues with heat soak. I have done airport runway event and the car performed consistently. I am familiar with the threads you reference and as you go into the tuning world intercooolers would be helpful as you tune and potentially do larger turbos. For everyday use I have yet to hear of anyone with heat soak issues.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:09 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no issues with heat soak...and I have several blower cars making from 720-1050 HP...none having heat soak issues in everyday use. My 991 TTS is a rocket...modded to about 700 HP. It is consistently scary fast.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:21 PM
tekaefixe
Track Day

Thank you all so much for the reinsurance ; ) Im picking up the car next Friday eheh!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:54 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had significant heat soak issues at GIAC Stage 2. One fast run and then the ECU cuts power to keep IATs on check due to inadequate stock intercooling (too much boost/heat for the small stock ICs). When I stepped up to Champion Intercoolers and GIAC Stage 2+ no more heat soak
Old 04-01-2016, 07:19 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Know Huh! These aren't Nissan GTRs, though the GTR has come a ways since it's first year released in the USA. I wouldn't mind having one of the older SKYLINES that made off of the 240SX chasis.

Last edited by The New 911; 04-01-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:53 PM
tekaefixe
Track Day

By the way guys, what about the the fuel pump? I have heard that just like the inter coolers are just not enough for the turbos/engine. And that's why the car after 200 km/h (124mph) loses grunt. I mean just look at what they did to the Turbo/S 991.2 generation. They upgraded exactly that.

One thing that I really find amazing is that most people that tunes these cars don't change the original turbos. These must be great pieces of engineering indeed. They are borg wagner right? I have heard the best turbos in business are the ones for IHI (Ferrari 488) is that right?

Again thank you all for the input. You guys know muuuuuuch more about these thing sleeping that me awake ahah
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

By the way guys, what about the the fuel pump? I have heard that just like the inter coolers are just not enough for the turbos/engine. And that's why the car after 200 km/h (124mph) loses grunt. I mean just look at what they did to the Turbo/S 991.2 generation. They upgraded exactly that.

One thing that I really find amazing is that most people that tunes these cars don't change the original turbos. These must be great pieces of engineering indeed. They are borg wagner right? I have heard the best turbos in business are the ones for IHI (Ferrari 488) is that right?

Again thank you all for the input. You guys know muuuuuuch more about these thing sleeping that me awake ahah
The fuel pump and the intercoolers are sufficient for a stock tune. In the coolers in my opinion are not sufficient for a tune. I've had them taken out and replaced and they are tiny and very light.

The fueling system is a significant limitation if you're going above the 650-700 wheel horsepower range. Somewhere in there you reach the fueling limit. Other threads have discussed that and I'm not sure the exact number but it is a limitation somewhere between 650 and 700 wheel horsepower.

There are some fixes in the works that are still in the testing stage. GIAC is working on a supplemental fueling upgrade as is Cobb/ByDesign. The cars from the tuners that have been rolled out at race events have performed inconsistently with the systems. Still a work in progress
Old 04-02-2016, 10:15 AM
tekaefixe
Track Day

Thank you for the input 😉

Again there we have it, in the 991.2 generation cars Porsche Engeniers corrected that fuel pump problem. They know where the flaws are better that anyone eheh 😉
About the bigger turbo in the S version, well that's great but we can also change our turbos to even bigger ones. I think most owners don't mess with the stock turbos because of the turbo lag, the bigger the turbos are.....
Old 04-02-2016, 01:47 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the input 😉

Again there we have it, in the 991.2 generation cars Porsche Engeniers corrected that fuel pump problem. They know where the flaws are better that anyone eheh 😉
About the bigger turbo in the S version, well that's great but we can also change our turbos to even bigger ones. I think most owners don't mess with the stock turbos because of the turbo lag, the bigger the turbos are.....
If you get a VTG upgrade I would not worry much about turbo lag
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
I have no issues with heat soak...and I have several blower cars making from 720-1050 HP...none having heat soak issues in everyday use. My 991 TTS is a rocket...modded to about 700 HP. It is consistently scary fast.

Cool. If you would be so kind sharing P car mod list? Possible to list in order which made the most noticeable difference? Any 1/4 times and traps?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2016, 10:54 PM
Grisoguy
Track Day

Received 35 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Las Vegas with over 100 days with the temp over 100 degrees. I have a 2014 Turbo that is stock with no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 991 Turbo/S heat soak issues