Sponsored by: Road Spy

Might let go the perfect (for me) 14 991 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Might let go the perfect (for me) 14 991 Turbo

First, let me say I absolutely love this car. I was not willing to buy a new one due to cost (was recently divorced at the time) and generally don't like to buy new as I do change cars often. When my C4S lease was up I tried to buy it but the dealer that ended up with the car was asking a crazy price (I turned it in to see what would happen as the residual was too high as it was part of the 991 lease specials). That dealer ended up selling the C4S for less than my offer 4 months later... idiots.

Anyway, my lease expired in June and so began the search. I almost pulled the trigger on a local car but at the last moment, the most crazy Turbo build showed up on the Porsche site. As legend goes, a Dr. in Nashville wanted a TTS and the dealer didn't have an allocation, but they did have a TT allocation. This TT was built as an S. Don't know if true, don't really care..... see this tread for the build:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-tt-owner.html

Fast forward 6 months, I am buying a house. Nothing crazy, a pretty modest house for my area, but I will need to do some work on the house. While the TT is simply amazing, its really more car than I can use in my area. I work in the City and could put the cash to good use... let's be honest, the TT/TTS platform is simply ludicrous level of performance wrapped around a deprecating asset. Plus I'm a pretty conservative guy and the TT is a little much for me at times. I would want a 2 door fun car and was thinking I would take over an M4 lease for the near term. Def not a TT but I could drive it around and not be worried some idiot is gonna park on top of it.

Local dealer made a VERY good offer.... I might take it. But I know I'll never find a build like this unless I build it myself...

So I'm on the fence and not sure what the right thing to do. Let it go, get the house done, save some cash... or keep it as it's hard if not impossible to replace... I do have a Cayenne Turbo S as well so will not be P car less.

Good problems to have my Rennlist friends. Blessed I am and I know it.....

Happy Easter to all.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One man's opinion: If your very expensive car doesn't put a smile on your face every time you look at it, sit in it, and think about it, it's probably not worth keeping. A current gen TT(S) is way too expensive of a car to be lukewarm about or even to feel like your not truly able to appreciate its power, unless you're rolling in so much dough that it wouldn't matter. you're posting about fiscal responsibility, which is admirable and i respect, so I think you're looking to feel a commensurate feeling of reward and pleasure in relation to the cost of the car and the other things you could do with that cash.

I daily drive mine and can't afford a stable of exotics. When I'm in it I wonder to myself how I could afford to be in a car that feels like it's a million dollar car. If I didn't think it was one of the best cars on the planet, for me, and something much less expensive brought me 95% of that joy, I'd pocket the cash and be glad I did. An the price difference between an m4 and a 991 TT is about 100k or, in homeowners terms, a new kitchen and maybe a small to medium bath.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Verinnal, you bring up some valid points. The car absolutely puts a smile on my face every time. The instant torque is addictive and I'm hooked. My issues with the car mostly are the places and time, or lack thereof, to really explore the capabilities of the car.

While I make a very nice living, at this stage I am not rolling in cash. When I'm done paying the ex in 20 months, different story. Financially, I think the $$ is better spent on the house, but I can make it work not selling the car too.... just feels like the right move financially. But I love it and don't really want to part with it. Would have been much easier if dealer low balled me.....
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

It sounds like in your case you have exactly what you want already but the cost is a bit much to swallow with current events. The lease would help cash flow if you want/need that in the short term, but the total outlay may not be that different between continuing to own your turbo for a long term vs. selling it and doing shorter leases one after another. Keeping the turbo may be cheaper than you think. If you need cash flow, do a spreadsheet and factor in the cost of the tied up money - see what the numbers really are.

If instead of a direct replacement with a cheaper lease you were talking about saving money by going to a two-cars-are-better-than-one solution, that might make sense. For instance, selling the turbo to get a relatively cheap daily driver like a leased 335i plus something that speaks to you and is at a depreciation plateau or depreciating very slowly - e.g. GT3/4, air cooled 911, classic Ferrari for weekends - then the decision would be hard. That would offer a real financial advantage as well as a pair of cars that, taken together, could be equally or more enjoyable to you than your current turbo. For instance, I want a race car, and if I would need to keep my GTS instead of upgrading to afford the race car comfortably, I'll glady do it - to me that's a better outcome.

Last edited by ace37; 03-28-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

I think, in all honesty, that if you have to ask the question, then in your heart of hearts you really do not want to sell it.

No matter what you do, hope all the best for you and that everything works out in the end.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:28 AM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 30 and I don't have a lot of savings or cash in hand either. Uncle Sam is taxing me almost half a million this year. That is more taxes by at least 10X more than I have ever had to pay, ever!

I'd rather go to jail than give up the turbo I've worked hard for.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
My issues with the car mostly are the places and time, or lack thereof, to really explore the capabilities of the car.

While I make a very nice living, at this stage I am not rolling in cash. When I'm done paying the ex in 20 months, different story. Financially, I think the $$ is better spent on the house, but I can make it work not selling the car too.... just feels like the right move financially. But I love it and don't really want to part with it. Would have been much easier if dealer low balled me.....
Sounds like you could enjoy the car at the track or on other road trips while you plan remodeling for 20 months or just do both as you said. Cars are typically going to seem like poor use of money if you think about it too much. Keep it, ditch the Cayenne for a used truck to help with remodel.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

why not sell it and get something like a 997 Carrera S.

Still have a nice PCar (for less than $45k) and some additional financial freedom.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why not sell it and get something like a 997 Carrera S.

Still have a nice PCar (for less than $45k) and some additional financial freedom.
I was thinking a 2013-2014 C2S. The 997 platform is a bit dated for me. But also going to drive the M3/M4.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It almost sounds like this is a choice between keeping the car and having extra cash to put into a house purchase and slight renovation.
I'm not sure why there is any real question what the decision should be here, but to each their own.
S.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
It almost sounds like this is a choice between keeping the car and having extra cash to put into a house purchase and slight renovation.
I'm not sure why there is any real question what the decision should be here, but to each their own.
S.
Well, we are on a car forum ...
Old 04-05-2016, 03:02 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I found the turbo to be a very good car all around especially for daily driving. It just didn't excite me though and was boring. Not a bad thing. It just did everything well with no effort.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I found the turbo to be a very good car all around especially for daily driving. It just didn't excite me though and was boring. Not a bad thing. It just did everything well with no effort.
I totally understand. It's so good its too good... I get it but hard to replace at any price... I recall reading a review where the TT was the better car but it lost as it was too easy to drive fast, i,e. didn't make you crap your pants to drive fast....

House deal appears to be dead so... might let it go anyway.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd pump it down the road, you can always get another less expensive porsche, even a turbo if you like that will tick 95% of the boxes and have money in the bank.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I sold my previous sports car when the finances weren't right anymore and I had a good offer. I always thought it was a great car and had a lot of fun with it, but it also never really spoke to me or had soul. I was surprised to find that I've never missed the car or regretted letting it go.

Quick Reply: Might let go the perfect (for me) 14 991 Turbo