Sponsored by: Road Spy

EVOMS Tuning Software

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:25 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
If you really want to be sneaky go purchase another ECU and clone it.
We have these available as well. It's $4995 and you get a brand new OEM ECU ready to go 'plug and play' in the car with no further programming needed.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:25 PM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMS
We have these available as well. It's $4995 and you get a brand new OEM ECU ready to go 'plug and play' in the car with no further programming needed.
How does that work? If the original ECU is already flashed several times, when you need to mirror the original ECU to install the new one.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:44 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
Don't quote this as fact, but my understanding is that the original ECU has logs that correspond with mileage, talking to other modules, etc that could easily be detected as not matching the data from the other modules associated with the car.

Simply, with digging it would be obvious that the ECU installed was not present for a large part of the mileage put on the car and that another ECU must have been used.

They've become more of a black box these days.

They also frequent internet forums.

The Champion written umbrella warranty looks more and more attractive to those who value their warranty.

I remember you from Corvette Forum btw. You always had sick projects!

Thanks! Yeah no doubt it would simple software code to stop cloning.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 AM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVOMS
This is the best way to sneak past the service department. Every time you flash the stock ECU (COBB) The ECU increments a flash counter. You can flash it back to stock all you want but when the dealership sees that your flash count is more than 1 they will know something is up. If you really want to be sneaky, you need to take out your stock, unmodified ECU that has never been reflashed and replace it with a cloned ECU that you can flash all you want. If you have a serious enough service concern you can swap the stock ECU back in and call it good.

- Patrick
Old 03-15-2016, 10:44 AM
The New 911
Pro

I'm wondering if the Porsche Tuner's will have a tablet that they can hook into the the car like many other car tuner's have. For instance the Scion FR-S or Subaru BR-Z GT86 car where the well trained, heeled, can make temporary changes to the fuel mappings on the fly. But I don't know if the Porsche system is too difficult to Crack, for an on the fly modification(?), to tap into the Porsche System á la the much simpler Scion and Subaru systems? Besides I don't know if the Porsche DME is running checks and CRC's to make sure if their ECU's are throwing errors which might imply the ECU is throwing Error's or see if their is sometype of malicious intrusions. But I have yet heard of the Malicous Coding hitting a car's ECU... Yet!

Last edited by The New 911; 03-15-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PMNewton
This is the best way to sneak past the service department. Every time you flash the stock ECU (COBB) The ECU increments a flash counter. You can flash it back to stock all you want but when the dealership sees that your flash count is more than 1 they will know something is up. If you really want to be sneaky, you need to take out your stock, unmodified ECU that has never been reflashed and replace it with a cloned ECU that you can flash all you want. If you have a serious enough service concern you can swap the stock ECU back in and call it good.

- Patrick
There's also a checksum that's saved for every written flash. Porsche can compare those against the checksums of their ECM images.

The extra CPU is a fine way to avoid the detection of a non-factory config, but the ECM records data for at least 5 minutes and some meta data for the life of the car. If Porsche wanted to, they could either note that there were gaps in the logged data, or that whatever "event" you were asking for warranty help regarding was not an event in the ECM's logs. Then they would deny and you'd have to lawyer up.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:50 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Visceral
There's also a checksum that's saved for every written flash. Porsche can compare those against the checksums of their ECM images.

The extra CPU is a fine way to avoid the detection of a non-factory config, but the ECM records data for at least 5 minutes and some meta data for the life of the car. If Porsche wanted to, they could either note that there were gaps in the logged data, or that whatever "event" you were asking for warranty help regarding was not an event in the ECM's logs. Then they would deny and you'd have to lawyer up.
Interesting. I didn't think about missing data. Makes sense!

- Patrick
Old 10-03-2018, 12:24 AM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Bumping this thread because I was also curious about the EVOMs tune because GMG Racing offers that as a Turbo tuning option (in addition to GIAC).

Quick Reply: EVOMS Tuning Software