Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Review - 991 TT Akrapovic full system exhaust (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/914964-review-991-tt-akrapovic-full-system-exhaust.html)

goin2drt 01-23-2016 07:27 PM

12v Nick 01-24-2016 01:46 AM

I was just looking for some good non-biased feedback on this system. Great review, very detailed. Thanks for sharing!

goin2drt 01-24-2016 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 12v Nick (Post 12953465)
I was just looking for some good non-biased feedback on this system. Great review, very detailed. Thanks for sharing!

No problem. I am glad you found it informative. Cheers.

Hothonda 01-24-2016 10:33 AM

Well done!

cliffd 01-24-2016 08:16 PM

Love it. Do you mind sharing costs for your set up. Been debating between Akropovic and Tubi. Thanks

goin2drt 01-24-2016 08:19 PM

MSRP's are $5,200 and $7,200 for BBI and Akra respectively for full systems (turbo back). You certainly may get a better deal from some retailers.

Feel free to PM me if you want contact info.

cliffd 02-14-2016 05:05 PM

Thanks, are you sticking with the akropovic?

goin2drt 02-14-2016 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cliffd (Post 13016585)
Thanks, are you sticking with the akropovic?

100% yes. Without a doubt.

speed21 02-14-2016 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 13016684)
100% yes. Without a doubt.

So what ended up being the deal breaker for the BBI? You sounded in love with that at the time. Be interested to hear the points which have you now opting to stick with the Akra over it.

goin2drt 02-14-2016 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 13016975)
So what ended up being the deal breaker for the BBI? You sounded in love with that at the time. Be interested to hear the points which have you now opting to stick with the Akra over it.

Well I guess it would be a few things.

Probably not really fair and comparing apples to oranges but here are the reasons.
  1. Akrapovic feels snappier. When you get on it the butt dyno feels a difference. Again not fair because I am comparing catless link pipes to 200 CEL cat system.
  2. The look really grew on me. More subtle and that I liked because my wife liked it. Looks are very subjective but the CF and the single outlet I really like.
  3. Sound was a little more mellow. I am old :-) More popping and burbling, less crackling if that makes sense.

speed21 02-14-2016 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 13017057)
Well I guess it would be a few things.

Probably not really fair and comparing apples to oranges but here are the reasons.
  1. Akrapovic feels snappier. When you get on it the butt dyno feels a difference. Again not fair because I am comparing catless link pipes to 200 CEL cat system.
  2. The look really grew on me. More subtle and that I liked because my wife liked it. Looks are very subjective but the CF and the single outlet I really like.
  3. Sound was a little more mellow. I am old :-) More popping and burbling, less crackling if that makes sense.

1. That would not surprise me. Removing that restrictive x along with the 200 cats positioned down the line would have a lot to do with that. Not a fan of having an X on a turbo pipe.....makes no sense from an improved flow perspective. Akra has the equipment to do evaluate these ideas hence why I suspect they don't employ that into their design.

2. I don't mind the look but as you say looks are subjective. Personally I prefer the dual outlet but that's just me.

3. I'm sure the Akra would sound better in comparison. Again Akra have the facility and equipment to evaluate and adjust. I take that you don't have that silly shot blasting going on then, like I hear with other cat-less systems?

goin2drt 02-14-2016 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 13017597)
I take that you don't have that silly shot blasting going on then, like I hear with other cat-less systems?

No. The BBI actually did that on hard decel. You wouldn't know it was catless. The Akra catless (link pipes) sounds mellower than the BBI with cats. No comparison. I bet with cats and for sure with the stocks cats the Akra is really quiet, too quiet for me.

speed21 02-14-2016 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 13017610)
No. The BBI actually did that on hard decel. You wouldn't know it was catless. The Akra catless (link pipes) sounds mellower than the BBI with cats. No comparison. I bet with cats and for sure with the stocks cats the Akra is really quiet, too quiet for me.

Sounds like a well sorted cat -less system. That shot gun blasting is deal breaker right there for me as well - nasty shock waves like that pounding back up the pipe to the turbo units is a very undesirable environment to impose on expensive VTG's. My only criticism on Akra is for not providing a decent 100 cel cat that doesn't throw cels. Not sure why they didn't go further to resolve that issue? And would concur with stock cats would sound too quiet unless they designed a separate muffler unit to go with that combo to raise volume enough.

robwe46m3 02-15-2016 03:17 AM

Coming from the bike world (Ducati 1199) Akrapovic full system is the only way to go. May I ask what they charged you put the system in? Will Porsche void nay warranties?

Verinnal 02-15-2016 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by speed21
My only criticism on Akra is for not providing a decent 100 cel cat that doesn't throw cels. Not sure why they didn't go further to resolve that .

I thought they offered 100 cell cats to replace their link pipe