Sponsored by: Road Spy

New ring time for 2017 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:14 PM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ring time for 2017 TTS

Wow is the new 17 TTS actually 14 seconds faster than the 15 TTS? Does 20hp mean that much ?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/that-71...-real-sort-of/
Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, no reason to get a TTS as the TT is so fast. Unless you want PCCB or a MT - the TT is the one of the best bargain in the lineup with all the tech.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I bet any money that they were not running on P Zero's!!!
Along with +20 hp. makes sense.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:36 AM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like the time was "simulated" stay tuned

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/porsche-admits-that-new-911-turbo-s-718.html?m=1
Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reportedly the engineering head, Erhard Mossle said:

"...we are normally very conservative with times and that time was set on the standard tires, not sports tires.”

No question that R compound tires are faster in dry conditions than P Zeros, but that is not the point in this case. Apparently the higher speed acceleration of the new TTS is much better than the original version of the 991 TTS. Not sure how long the sections of that track are where speed is limited so it will be interesting to learn more. Maybe it is just the 20 extra hp, but more likely it is that in combination with a more aggressively tuned PDK and suspension. Porsche never rests and I am encouraged by the engineers' ability to wring more out of the TTS. For those of us who track, but do not drag race, we can improve our times by fitting R compound tires and more instructed track time than purely by more grunt.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:08 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Better gearing, better torque curve...14 seconds faster on P Zero tires! Impressive!
Old 01-24-2016, 11:17 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will be interesting to see a comparison of the 991.2 to the GT3RS. My money will be on the TTS. AWD and higher torque can make up for extra weight and suspension differences. I understand the attraction of the GT3RS, but would bet that a very small percentage of owners ever track their cars. Face it, they are sitting on a very valuable model and do not want miles or worse any damage on their collector's car. Fact is that the TTS, while heavier and not purely track focused in its systems, is a beast on the track that also serves exceptionally well for long trips. In all the reviews, writers dis the TTS for reasons that are apparently due to its lack of fanboy body bits. Regarding the apparent low regard for P Zero's, check out the Chris Harris video comparison of the GT3RS, McLaren 650 and the AM. The McLaren ran faster than the other two on factory fitted P Zero's.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Regarding the apparent low regard for P Zero's, check out the Chris Harris video comparison of the GT3RS, McLaren 650 and the AM. The McLaren ran faster than the other two on factory fitted P Zero's.
...and Chris even mentioned that the PZero's were not as sticky as the tires on the other cars, so he had to over-slow for corners to compensate. The fact that the 650S did so well is in spite of the tires, not because it had them.

For around town, PZero's are fine with me. They are not as confidence inspiring when things get more aggressive than that.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:56 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl911
I bet any money that they were not running on P Zero's!!!
Along with +20 hp. makes sense.
+1 on That. Only Formula One (Eins!) and Ferrari's race with Pirreli's. I think with that last part it is more of a Patriotic Issue otherwise they would use a different tire. Wonder what would happen if NASCAR went from GoodYear to Michelin slicks? Does Michelin even make a Slick big enough to fit NASCAR Rims?

I know I'm just talking nonsense but who makes the best tires overall? I remember in the 90's everyone wanted P-Zero's for their new Rims for their new Acura Integra GSR's.

Last edited by The New 911; 01-24-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure that the extra 20 hp is responsible. With all the hoopla about the RS, people forget that the Turbo S IS the flagship vehicle in the 911 line, so it doesn't surprise me that it is the fastest.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:52 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zucc
Not sure that the extra 20 hp is responsible. With all the hoopla about the RS, people forget that the Turbo S IS the flagship vehicle in the 911 line, so it doesn't surprise me that it is the fastest.
What is it, an extra 80 BHP along how long of a lap? Then not to mention the newer 991 cars easily out perform their Peer's, talking about C4S to C4S without accounting for the bump in power, from the 997.x days!

It is not that far of a stretch to have the new 991.2 TTS run a faster lap at 10/10 than say the GT3RS. And again the most important Variable when trying to get the best times out of a car has nothing to do with or what is on the car. It will always be the Driver plain and simple.

Is the Jury still out on IF said lap was "SIMULATED". Does Porsche still have Walter Rohrl on their staff as their World's Ambassador or whatever title they gave him? I say give the keys to him and see what happens. Anyone remember seeing him on
put a Lap down at (EDIT: Hockenheim - both laps with a 997 Turbo were 1:55 and some change with the CarGraphic Lift System getting the better time by about 2 tenths of a second!) Hockenheim with a 997.x Turbo with the CarGraphic Front Lift and then turn around and get the nearly the same time without the CarGraphic Front Lift Solution? Too bad he wasn't able to drive in the 24h-Rennens der Nürburgring a few years back because he would have no problem kicking some *** and taking some names! Watching him drive around Dur Ring on you Tube looks like me driving up the 405 on a Wednesday during Rush Hour. It's as if the man exerts Zero Energy or Brain Power for concentration when drives The Ring at 10/10. Everyone here knows if we tried our hardest, including you certified Porsche race instructors, to keep up with this man it would simply be futile. He is like "Racing's Borg" (Sorry Star Trek 2nd Gen ref) not resistance but Passing and getting Faster Lap Times are FUTILE.

Last edited by The New 911; 01-24-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Did a hell a lot of editing and could probably do more. But I need to get back to my G Code work.

Quick Reply: New ring time for 2017 TTS