Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S Coupe vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:01 PM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Turbo S Coupe vs GT3

Which would you chose, a 2017 Turbo S coupe or a lightly used 2015 GT3 with Carbon Ceramics? Which will have better value retention? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

The GT3 will hold it's value better.

Almost everyone who will answer this has chosen the TT or TTS

The two cars, besides being 911's, couldn't be more different. The GT3 is very visceral and would be a strange choice to daily drive, especially with kids or through 3-4 seasons.

While some do, I believe the TTS wouldnt be the first choice as a frequent track car. The RWD N-A GT3 is probably a better track weapon, although most report that the TTS laps most tracks faster. The GT3 certainly sounds better.

If you want to race in a straight line, though, there is very (very) little as quick as the TTS.

Neither are bad choices, but in exhange for the much lower depreciation, the GT3 is really tough to enjoy on most public roads.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:03 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take the 17 gen 2 tts all day long - such a brilliant all-rounder. If it were just to be a pure weekend drive/track toy then I would step it up to the 3RS over the 3, being more relevant from a price comparative. If resale security was the sole deciding factor then again the 3RS should hold up better in the long term. That said the GT3 and RS .2 versions are yet to be released which will have an effect on future values as well. Visceral is also quite right in saying most chose the TTS.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:31 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

I think for all practical purposes we have to act like the RS doesn't actually exist. The two my dealer were alotted were bought by previous 918+GT4+997GT2RS+more buyers.

When they become available 2nd hand, I predict $300k+, which is 675LT territory.

Your point is obviously still relevant though... a GT3RS wouldn't be a fun street car, just a track toy.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:22 AM
williambnj
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
I think for all practical purposes we have to act like the RS doesn't actually exist. The two my dealer were alotted were bought by previous 918+GT4+997GT2RS+more buyers.

When they become available 2nd hand, I predict $300k+, which is 675LT territory.

Your point is obviously still relevant though... a GT3RS wouldn't be a fun street car, just a track toy.
To me the GT3RS makes no sense... if I want a track toy I will just get a race spec cayman (clubsport) or a GT3 Cup car. To me heavy tracking requires a full cage and harness setup at the very least
Old 12-31-2015, 08:29 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral

You can easily get a flipped GT3RS right now -- for $100k to $150k over sticker. A close friend of mine is a well-known exotic car and he said one's available virtually every week. They sell immediately at mega premiums. If anyone's interested let me know. My own dealer has an incoming one and will be asking $159k over. My source can get flipped ones for about $100k over.

With respect to comparing the turbo S coupe to the GT3 or GT3RS I made this decision myself and went with the turbo S. If you care about depreciation or status at cars and coffee or if the car will primarily be used as a track car of course get the GT3 or GT3RS. Similarly the engine and exhaust of the GT3 and GT3RS sound much better and more sporty than the Turbo S. To have any sort of decent exhaust sound on the Turbo S you must mod the exhaust. Just about every Turbo S owner I know has done so. imho the best high flow catted exhaust for the Turbo S is Europipe and best catless is Tubo catless race exhaust.

If you actually want the bit of comfort and tend to drive the car on public roads especially if you live in a climate where there is snow the Turbo S is far superior.

The Turbo S has 6 inches of ground clearance and an over 13 degree drive away approach angle with its inflatable from spoiler retracted. This means you can take it in and out of pretty much every garage and gas station. Try that in the GT3 with only 3 inches of clearance and an approach angle in the single digits.

The Turbo S has far more power and even more torque. And with a few mods it produced 700 horsepower. Try that in a 475 bhp GT3 or 500 GT3RS. With their naturally aspirated engines getting lots more power from mods is impossible. At speed events my Turbo S destroys them by bus lengths. The Turbo S is so much faster.

The Turbo S has all whew drive. That confers a massive acceleration advantage from a stop or from low speeds over the RWD GT3 and GT3RS. And the Turbo S's all wheel drive and torque vectoring means you can drive it in snow. Mine has Pilot Alpin 4 winter tires in the winter and it has the best snow traction and handling of any car I have ever driven. The RWD GT3 and GT3RS cars will be sitting in the garage all winter long.

The ride in the Turbo S is more comfortable and liveable. And if you want a rock hard track ride all you need do is push the PDCC button and you have it.

Finally if looks is your game -- and the GT3RS is a stunner -- you can mod a Turbo S to look just like a GT3RS thanks to an awesome body kit from Vorsteiner. Parin Shah at Chicago Motorcars currently has one for sale now with that kit, a KW HLS front axle lift system, GIAC Stage 2 tune and GMG race exhaust (one of the best high flow catted exhausts out there) and Rob's of other options:

https://www.facebook.com/CHICAGOMOTO...01142380916909

If I weren't already ***** deep into my 991 TTS in terms of mods that car would be mine. It is a unicorn. So unique and special. It will be the talk of every cars and coffee. And all the speed and comfort of the Turbo S.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:57 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For track, GT3. For DD, the turbo. It's simple really. The Turbo has more low end punch, which is typically what you feel when driving on a daily basis. Just punch it and feel the g forces slam you into your seat lol. You'll wanna wind the GT3 out at high RPM to feel the magic it creates. Something not easily done on the street and thus better suited for the track. Ground clearance is a major issue too as pointed out above.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zirrah
For track, GT3. For DD, the turbo. It's simple really. The Turbo has more low end punch, which is typically what you feel when driving on a daily basis. Just punch it and feel the g forces slam you into your seat lol. You'll wanna wind the GT3 out at high RPM to feel the magic it creates. Something not easily done on the street and thus better suited for the track. Ground clearance is a major issue too as pointed out above.
Agreed. No low end torque does not make for a very fun street ride. The GT3/GT3RS power
Curve is ideal for tracking.

And if you love Gs how does 1.46 g's of forward acceleration feel? That is what I have pulled in my Turbo S.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2015, 09:20 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Agreed. No low end torque does not make for a very fun street ride. The GT3/GT3RS power
Curve is ideal for tracking.

And if you love Gs how does 1.46 g's of forward acceleration feel? That is what I have pulled in my Turbo S.
That's just nutty.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I track my TTs 2x a month, with a GIAC tune Stage 2 + , I run with the GT3 Cup cars now. GT3s and GT3 RS are in my rearview mirrors.
I DD the TTs, drive to track, then to grocery store, PERFECT
Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zirrah
That's just nutty.
That's the idea!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

You asked two questions.

Which would you chose? 17 Turbo
Which will hold its value better? GT3 as long as you get a good deal and don't over pay for one.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:10 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karl911
I track my TTs 2x a month, with a GIAC tune Stage 2 + , I run with the GT3 Cup cars now. GT3s and GT3 RS are in my rearview mirrors.
I DD the TTs, drive to track, then to grocery store, PERFECT
Karl has done what you need to do if you really want to slay the GT3s and GT3RS -- put their R compound tires (streetable competition tires such as Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s) on your Turbo S. Doing so erases much of their advantage in the turns (not all of it but a lot
Of it) and paired with the 991 Turbo S's greater
Power (and MUCH greater power when modded) and it's incredible all whee drive traction coming out of the corners kills those pesky GT3 and GT3RS cars
Old 12-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

To the original question, the GT3 will hold value better. You didn't tell us what you are looking for your car to do for you, so that part is tougher to answer. I also track 2 days a month, and have yet to find a GT3 that can run with me. With decent Cup2 tires and H&R lowering springs, I pull away from GT3s and most everything else, and then can drive to dinner in comfort. Final decision is clearly yours, but on a forum for turbo owners, you will get a lot of votes for the turbo.

Last edited by Randyc151; 01-01-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:38 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
Which would you chose, a 2017 Turbo S coupe or a lightly used 2015 GT3 with Carbon Ceramics? Which will have better value retention? Thanks!
Given those 2 choices, I'd get the '17 TTS.

I already did the GT3 and I'm happy to have had that experience, but I'm happier now with a TT for many of the reasons given above.

While it may be a factor, yes a GT3 will retain value better than a TT/S, not that this should dictate one's passion in sport cars.

LOL, now go ask the same questions in the GT3 forum.

Quick Reply: Turbo S Coupe vs GT3