Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

570S vs 911TTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I think my view of ride of 458 vs 991 TT is skewed by having had the tires to max pressure and not having PDCC on my 991 turbo. But I still think the magnetorheological shock technology of the 458 is superior.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:28 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double post...

Last edited by The New 911; 01-03-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 AM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by speed21
Agree Porsche's engine placement has a good deal to do with the car's handling on today's scale.
991=Lowest center of gravity, 100mm further forward, 4WS, wider track,.....now here do they go from here? Another 100mm further forward?
They will make the next 911 midengine finally?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default next gen 911

Originally Posted by speed21
Agree Porsche's engine placement has a good deal to do with the car's handling on today's scale.
991=Lowest center of gravity, 100mm further forward, 4WS, wider track,.....now here do they go from here? Another 100mm further forward?
My guess is that the next body style 911 will transfer weight more optimally through the use of electric motor(s) for front wheels and battery placement. Weight will need to be cut using CF or other lighter material to accommodate batteries. May also have CF wheels. Porsche has announced that the Mission E will launch by "the end of the decade," although my guess is that it will be out in two years for a variety of reasons, not least being to establish Porsche as the preeminent EV/hybrid manufacturer. Porsche concurrently announced a major expansion of production facilities and labor agreements for EV manufacturing. No fifteen minute electric sports cars for Porsche, but durable performers with no excuses or gimmicky modes like "ludicrous." Yes, ambitious, but Herr Muller will not hesitate to innovate to keep Porsche ahead in every respect.

Last edited by AndrewP; 01-16-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Actually my comment was aimed at how the rear engine placement allows room for back seats that aren't really found in mid engine cars. The placement of the engine behind the rear axle inherently presents an engineering challenge. To give the car good handling, a lot has to be engineered into the car like PDCC, etc. Absent the technology and development, the car's handling wouldn't be that great.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

New 570S video 1/11/16

Old 01-15-2016, 05:59 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Went to test drive 570 today at new Palm Beach McLarin, no demo, but drove a 650 instead. It is a race car for the street, what a different feel!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Saw a 570s at Detailing Dynamics. What a beauty. McLaren has a big hit on its hands. Looks and feels exotic. And at a 991 TTS price point. Not as versatile or as fast accelerating from a dig but very exotic looking and feeling
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Agreed, much more of an "event" car than the TT, but with the CF tub makes it a lot safer. Also, the hydraulic steering is better too
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience having driven a Huracan and an Aventador, was that the prior was was quicker, shifted far better and was overall, a superior car.

Aventador is no doubt a sexier beast of a car, but IMO, the Huracan is just a better car and is leaps and bounds ahead of the Aventador, from a technological and driving perspective.

Sounds like the 570 might just be that same type of deal...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:27 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
My experience having driven a Huracan and an Aventador, was that the prior was was quicker, shifted far better and was overall, a superior car.

Aventador is no doubt a sexier beast of a car, but IMO, the Huracan is just a better car and is leaps and bounds ahead of the Aventador, from a technological and driving perspective.

I agree 100% on Huracan versus Aventador. Aventador is all about the show. Huracan is much better made
Old 01-16-2016, 01:05 AM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by Need4S
Actually my comment was aimed at how the rear engine placement allows room for back seats that aren't really found in mid engine cars. The placement of the engine behind the rear axle inherently presents an engineering challenge. To give the car good handling, a lot has to be engineered into the car like PDCC, etc. Absent the technology and development, the car's handling wouldn't be that great.
I can understand that approach but the two + two seat configuration of the 911 is a "Token" at best. No one is sitting in the rear besides small children, very short peope a lá Vern Troyer. To me them seats in the back of the 911 help out when one has ran out of space in the Frunk and you need just a little more space of to put the last few bags full of Chimey and Delirium Tremens beer.

I would say that Porsche needs to get the obvious over with and make the 911 Mid engined. Just like the Beauty of the 356/1 which is mid engined. Although I have not read much into why Dr Ing went rear wheel drive but something tells me that the VW Bug's layout had something to with it. Although the evolution of the 356 engine's throughout it's years increased the power much more so than the VW bug. The VW bug was not a performance car to begin with however having the experience in designing the rear engine with the transaxle Mr Porsche had more confidence in the configuration. Could be completely wrong but who knows? That was then and this is now and Porsche really has to make changes to their approach in their way in designing and building their cars.

They could add two more cylinders to make a Flat 8 or perhaps add some type of power recovery system like a KERS system between the engine and the transaxle.

The Ferrari's and the Corvette's, Audi's et al are just getting more power on the street and the Race Track using conventional means and now Ferrari went back to Turbos for the first time since the F40. But Porsche still manages and knows how to race and win. Look at this past year of racing in the United SportsCar Championship; GTLM to be specific. Wouldn't be able to tell the 911 would need a new approach for it's next incarnation. Unfortunately out of any car maker crowd Porsche is is generally the least willing to except change to THEIR Cars. And rightfully so I'm in the same boat I mean car as everyone else here and don't want the 911 to change much from it's root's. But with each new version of the car it has become better and quicker. Yet I would be the first to swallow his pride for a new 911 (992) that would be a better performer if Porsche would make many different modifications to the cars configuration in order to make the next car an Evolutionary Improvement where the car is zipping off slightly under 2.5 second 0 to 60s times. Pull an extra .2 Gs, or more, in Lateral loads and so on.

Finally when are we going to see spy photo's of the FeFi? And which Ferrari is Porsche going after with it? The F12, LaF? Not the 488, we have the new 991.2 TTS for that car. Atleast the Porsche doesn't catch on fire, like the FF/F12/F488 and formerly the F458? Why can't Ferrari make glue and use other materials that won't combust and why can't people drive their Ferrari's without putting miles on the car But it only happened to the GT3 with the stop sale. If that never had happened then we would not have seen all the crazy prices on them though I imagine the prices would still be up on the new RS but not as much. The stop sale really artificially increased the asking price of the GT3s/RS.

Last edited by The New 911; 01-16-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: I do not except any responsibilities for the content of this post nor do I know of anything that has been written. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Verinnal
Racer

I wouldn't give up the rear seats. Too useful. Took a 2400 mile road trip in my TTS with my wife beside me and my 80 pound pooch in the back. May not sound like much but we loaded up the rear ledge, packed the hell out of the frunk, and used the space under the seat-backs to cram more stuff. I was surprised at how much crap we were able to accommodate.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes

Originally Posted by FBA

Chris Harris review of 570S confirms your surmise. I have not driven either McLaren and due to no area dealership will probably not. However, have driven the Huracan and Aventador back to back and the PDK in the Huracan as well as its lighter weight makes it a better track vehicle, IMO. Problem with the Aventador is the company's insistence on keeping the transmission, which is definitely a raw experience, but I suppose that it is to keep the car edgy and extreme.
Regarding comments on the geometry of the 991, drive a GT4 back to back with a GT3 on the track, or for that matter a 991 GTS and I think that you will understand the attraction of the 991 platform, if not viscerally, then objectively. Maybe if they had more grunt in the GT4 engine it would be different--maybe. Aside from that, while the back seats in my 991 TTS are not for people, they work fine for my large dog, which is one reason I got the car over a 458 or Huracan. Perhaps the 570 will be in the consideration mix at some point, but the philosophy at McLaren is far different from that at Porsche. If I just tracked the 570 would be a serious contender, as would the Huracan. Both great cars. Of course, it remains to be seen if the 570S is a durable piece. Note that the uber expensive P1 is now under a recall. It will also be interesting to see the aftermarket value of the 570 in a couple of years. Might be better just to ante up for the 488 GTB.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 AM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by Verinnal
I wouldn't give up the rear seats. Too useful. Took a 2400 mile road trip in my TTS with my wife beside me and my 80 pound pooch in the back. May not sound like much but we loaded up the rear ledge, packed the hell out of the frunk, and used the space under the seat-backs to cram more stuff. I was surprised at how much crap we were able to accommodate.
Sorry for my error... but I wouldn't go on a trip without my two Chi-Wa-Wa mixes. Can't believe I totally forgot about " Poochie", point well taken.

Quick Reply: 570S vs 911TTS