Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What options am I missing...what options can't you live without and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:02 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I am a proponent of PE&D and it is the first option that came to mind. I find it a very convenient and cool option. I have it set up where I still use my key fob to turn the engine on. (I do this because I don't want to have the key in my pants pocket nor do I want to figure out a place in the car to put it when driving - there is no natural place really to put it.) You don't need to use the fob to lock or unlock the car, nor to open the boot, as long as the fob is near.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:10 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Another option I would consider is the rear window wiper. I did not configure my TTS and don't have this option, but there have been times I wished I had it.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smuoio
I am a proponent of PE&D and it is the first option that came to mind. I find it a very convenient and cool option. I have it set up where I still use my key fob to turn the engine on. (I do this because I don't want to have the key in my pants pocket nor do I want to figure out a place in the car to put it when driving - there is no natural place really to put it.) You don't need to use the fob to lock or unlock the car, nor to open the boot, as long as the fob is near.
I like having the fixed chrome stub key in all the time and just walking up, opening, getting in and turning the key but didn't know about it self locking and other things. Is the auto lock on a timer or is it a distance thing where you need to be a certain distance away with the fob? Our TTs's have it standard, TT not.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM
willyb87
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you have it all! I have a 14 TTS and my favorite option by far is the tilted sunroof in glass. I use it all the time and I think it looks so freaking cool! Enjoy!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:05 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I like having the fixed chrome stub key in all the time and just walking up, opening, getting in and turning the key but didn't know about it self locking and other things. Is the auto lock on a timer or is it a distance thing where you need to be a certain distance away with the fob? Our TTs's have it standard, TT not.
I was not aware of this "auto lock" feature and in fact, told by the dealer it doesn't exist in Porsche. I will have to read the manual to see if that works...
Old 12-21-2015, 07:59 AM
AgP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FBA
I was not aware of this "auto lock" feature and in fact, told by the dealer it doesn't exist in Porsche. I will have to read the manual to see if that works...
My understanding is that "auto locking" refers to locking your setting preferences into the key and car memory eg seat position, steering wheel position etc so that these positions automatically reset on entry and exit from or to your comfort positions.
There is no "walk away" locking of the car that I'm aware of. You either press lock/unlock on the key fob or press the small black button on the door handle.
The frunk has a proximity detector and will open if you have the key fob close by and wave your hand over the hood or have the key in your pocket while hose washing the car!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:08 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by willyb87
looks like you have it all! I have a 14 TTS and my favorite option by far is the tilted sunroof in glass. I use it all the time and I think it looks so freaking cool! Enjoy!
This is an option I really wish my car had. I have the steel sunroof which is better than nothing and probably quieter and lighter but sure do wish I had the glass
Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

burmester sound. keyless. turbos.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by willyb87
Yes for sure, love me the tilted sunroof, it was a must have option for me. I like a lot of natural light in a car
Old 01-23-2016, 02:44 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

911 Turbo S
• Exterior Color N0 Agate Grey Metallic
• Interior Color AZ Leather Interior in Black
• Exterior CWJ "PORSCHE" Logo and Model
Designation Painted Chosen color: Black
• Porsche Entry & Drive
• Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
• Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color
• Performance 250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
• Front Axle Lift System
• Wheels 449 20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
• Lane Change Assist
• Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
• Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
• Seat Heating (Front)
• Seat Ventilation (Front)
• Smoking Package
• Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
• EKA Interior Package Painted i.c.w. Leather Interior
• Instrument Dials in Bordeaux Red
• Sport Chrono Clock Dial in Bordeaux Red
• Seat Belts in Bordeaux Red
• Storage Compartment Lid with Porsche Crest
• Burmester Surround Sound System

I’m close to my final configuration. BUT....

Two options (in Bordeaux red) I’m trying to decide on are:
• Seat Stitching in deviated threat (Front and rear)
OR
• Seat inlays (font and rear seats) in deviated leather.

Sat down with the dealer today to get an idea of what inlays would look like but even their configurator would not display those options. I did ask if the seat inlay option has ever been ordered in the past and the answer was no. Makes me second guess how it would look. What do you guys think? If anyone has a black interior with red deviated seat inlays I would very much appreciate a photo! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm a total convert on the Entry and Drive. Came in the + package on both my cars, but I would definitely order it again and pay extra if necessary. Very convenient.
?painted side skirts? Personal preference (I don't have them).
If you're doing deviated stitching, I would also add steering column casing in leather with the same deviated stitching. Unless things have changed, on mine it added a nice row of cognac stitching right across the top of the steering column in my line of sight. I think it looks great for (at the time $465 + $80), all things Porsche $$ being relative.
The center lock wheels give me the creeps just looking at them. I like being able to feel comfortable taking wheels on and off with a simple 150# torque wrench in hand and a 24" breaker bar. But I'm 90 miles from a dealer and I have snows and summers for the TT.
I don't know the new Configurator, but what carpeting will you get? I ordered mine deviated to Espresso on the E/C interior. Not sure how much red will be in there, but for some people it can get pretty red pretty fast.
Congrats!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going into a lot of detail, since I cannot afford one... yet but that doesn't mean I haven't spent days on the configurator or had Similar options on other cars.

Entry and Drive is a for sure, just need to be around the door and the door unlocks. This can help you with piece of mind in those late night parked in the middle of nowhere and you want to get into the car as Fast as Possible. That and you can just keep the keys in your pocket and press start. For those with this option is that last part possible. In my old Toyota it was.

PAS for sure, never know when there might be an instant where you become distracted and take your eyes' off the road just for an instant. Then all of a sudden your car slams on the brakes for you saving your skin and someone else's and your cars' insurance premiums won't go through the roof!

For sure get the back up Camera as a supplement for when you have the car in Reverse. One thing is not to use it or rely on it 100 percent so always look over your Shoulder. And having the "Car in my Blind Spot" is up there too as a supplement... always still look. But if some idiot is shadowing you in you BS which is a habit some people really need to break. Dad was a trucker and every time we went somewhere he would always point out poor driving and one of the biggest no-no's was driving in someone's Blind Spot for a continued amount of time!

For long trips and to move your leg's around get the Aluminum Pedal's option since it has a third pedal so you don't have to keep your Left Foot just in the same position, you can move it to the "False" Clutch Pedal to help with Circulation. I had an extra foot pad on my 89 Honda Prelude and I loved it.

And I always configure my Car's with a Fire Extinguisher. This not only for your car but other cars that are on fire with people in them. I had them in my last two car's before my current car. I used both of them one time each while coming up to wrecks on the street or freeway that somehow a fire started inside the car after wrecking. Each time the driver or at least one of the passenger's were incapacitated and would not have been able to make it out of the car. It's amazing how much fire those little Fire Extinguishers can put out. With each time I happened upon a crash with fire either the Police or Firemen were beyond grateful because they would tell me the person more than likely would have burned to death. Each time ironically the driver was Drunk Driving. Just lucky no one else was caught up in their crashing. I really need to go out and buy one and just throw it in the trunk.

As for aesthetics get everything covered in leather unless you want the inside painted the outside color with leather. Of course deviated stitching to your liking. For me I have fallen in love with Porsche's Graphite Blue inside and outside with the option of having the inside bits painted the exterior color with the rest all Leather. If you do the inside painted the exterior color get the Air Conditioning Slats painted the exterior color as well. Sure it's one of the most over-priced options with highest margins for Porsche and it's Dealer's it really ties in the exterior color options.

If you wish not to get the entire interior covered in leather with or without interior bits painted the exterior color then at the least have the Steering Column covered in Leather and have the back of your 18 way seats covered in leather as well unless you want a Porsche Exclusive option like have it painted exterior color like already mentioned go for it.

When I'm done configuring the TTS it usually tops out at $220,000 or a tad more. Further when I would configure the none S Turbo to the level of the S model the price would end up about the same price as the S version. However now when I configure a non S 991.2 Turbo the car would come out just a little above $200K about $20K less than when I was configuring the older 991.1 regular Turbo. I just wish Porsche would bring back the Clear taillights since they are now Tinted Lights though I imagine for those who can afford the car it won't be too much longer before Clear Taillights are available through the usual sources.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm a total convert on the Entry and Drive. Came in the + package on both my cars, but I would definitely order it again and pay extra if necessary. Very convenient.
?painted side skirts? Personal preference (I don't have them).
If you're doing deviated stitching, I would also add steering column casing in leather with the same deviated stitching. Unless things have changed, on mine it added a nice row of cognac stitching right across the top of the steering column in my line of sight. I think it looks great for (at the time $465 + $80), all things Porsche $$ being relative.
The center lock wheels give me the creeps just looking at them. I like being able to feel comfortable taking wheels on and off with a simple 150# torque wrench in hand and a 24" breaker bar. But I'm 90 miles from a dealer and I have snows and summers for the TT.
I don't know the new Configurator, but what carpeting will you get? I ordered mine deviated to Espresso on the E/C interior. Not sure how much red will be in there, but for some people it can get pretty red pretty fast.
Congrats!
Yeah deviating carpet is a must if you have a lighter two tone interior. I have it on my E/C interior and love it. Would never go without entry and drive. It's also so stupid that it's not standard. I mean it's standard on many 25k econoboxes. I too change out my own wheels for the winter and would not go for centerlocks.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
... entry and drive. It's also so stupid that it's not standard...
I for one am very glad that Porsche lets us choose which baubles and geegaws we want on our cars instead of making every feature of 25k econoboxes standard.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
porsche42
Racer

Burmester, PDK, keyless, turbos, deviated stitching

Quick Reply: What options am I missing...what options can't you live without and why?