Sponsored by: Road Spy

Deciding between regular and the S

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:51 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
On a car of this value, to fall over on an extra 10 or 15K pretty well signals one is shopping way beyond beyond their means.
Since you're talking about USED car prices, you're obviously discussing people who are looking for a good deal. If the price difference between a new 991 TT and a TT-S was only $10-15k, no one would get a TT. But a year old TT for at least $50k under the price of a new TT-S sure sounds like a bargain.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:43 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It IS only 15K or so once you consider the options in a TT you need to add to get to a TTS. I have a '16 TTS and I went through all of the options between the two, including the ones you can't get on a TT.

Ceramic brakes are a huge improvement over the standard steel brakes too...and you can't get em on a TT.

I agree with Speed 21...if you are spending 190+k...another 15 should not be something you have to think about. If it's only about money, a TT should be out of range, leave alone an S.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not shopping above my means. I was merely asking whether or not it is worth the money. I have ceramics on my 458 italia and yes it does stop fast and yes they are awesome brakes. Now I do get annoyed driving around an urban area with ceramics, too grippy and my passenger feel like they are getting whiplash sometimes. 40 extra hp for a daily driver is nice, you can never have too much power, but as many of you have stated, can you really feel in real life driving. I am not looking to track this car, car if probably too fast for me to handle on a track, I would do better off with a cayman or something slower.

Seems like there are some good deals going through this winter already on both the regular and turbo S. Also it seems hard to find a white turbo S, that is what I am looking for.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:10 AM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
I agree with Speed 21...if you are spending 190+k...another 15 should not be something you have to think about.

But I didn't have to spend 190+K on my car. I got a brand new 2015 TT Cab for 168k. I didn't plan on getting a TT rather than a TT-S, it just worked out that way. I found a car that I loved and I bought it. The dealership I bought my car from now has a 2016 TT-S cab on their lot for sale now for $215k. Other than the Burmeister stereo upgrade that car has, I don't care about any of the other options.

I'll never need better brakes on the street than my car has and I wash it often enough that brake dust doesn't matter. So what am I missing out on? After the break-in period is over, I'm going to install a Tubi sports exhaust + cats and a chip, so I really don't see what is missing from my car.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Since you're talking about USED car prices, you're obviously discussing people who are looking for a good deal. If the price difference between a new 991 TT and a TT-S was only $10-15k, no one would get a TT. But a year old TT for at least $50k under the price of a new TT-S sure sounds like a bargain.
Not at all. No offense but you seem to be missing the point. An optioned up TT is just that, and will always be that. Options are user pay - not recoverable. Each model has a market value - option costs are not in that equation. You will get to realize that upon resale, as I have done on previous occasions. You can't go past a factory package and for 10 to 15k it really IS a no brainer. Try and make a GT2 out of your turbo and then try and get paid for that exercise. You will remove 'base value. Put a tune in - same, plus you destroy your warranty on the engine and drivetrain. Not everyone is prepared to do that least of all buy a car from someone who has done that. There is a price to pay for that.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by islandtrader
I am not shopping above my means. I was merely asking whether or not it is worth the money. I have ceramics on my 458 italia and yes it does stop fast and yes they are awesome brakes. Now I do get annoyed driving around an urban area with ceramics, too grippy and my passenger feel like they are getting whiplash sometimes. 40 extra hp for a daily driver is nice, you can never have too much power, but as many of you have stated, can you really feel in real life driving. I am not looking to track this car, car if probably too fast for me to handle on a track, I would do better off with a cayman or something slower.

Seems like there are some good deals going through this winter already on both the regular and turbo S. Also it seems hard to find a white turbo S, that is what I am looking for.
By asking this question you are saying Porsche as a company failed miserably with the S as being a superior performing package overall, which is essentially what the variant is being sold as. You keep going on about brakes being too grippy and talking about Ferrari's - you haven't even driven the S car but have already formed a conclusion. I don't get it??? S owners have already told you their opinions on the brakes and the power and the clear superiority, particularly when under the hammer. As that is clearly not enough, and you are seemingly continuing to ask the same repetitive question on the performance and the brakes being worth it, then I suggest drive the 2 cars back to back on a track or on a fast country run then tell me which one you seriously think goes and stops better. I did. I'd love to hear your answer. Do you seriously think I would have bought an S if a base TT went and stopped and went round corners as well?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:35 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
Ceramic brakes are a huge improvement over the standard steel brakes too...and you can't get em on a TT.
Of COURSE you can get PCCB on a non-S TT. There are more than a few TTs running around with PCCB.

(Not saying that it makes sense.)
Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
By asking this question you are saying Porsche as a company failed miserably ... I would have bought an S if a base TT went and stopped and went round corners as well?
This - PCCB - is a(nother) situation in which Porsche has convinced a lot of people that perception is greater than truth and then get them to pay for it.

PCCBs feel better, faster, stronger but they aren't. I have yet to find a single objective test (where objective means 'instrumented') where PCCBs performed better (where better means greater than a few percent) than iron.

Plenty of folks say that they are more fade-resistant on-track (queue Karl and others) and that's great if you are going to track it.

The feel of PCCB is all about pedal effort from onset to full brake force. Less pedal effort leads to a perception of better braking performance.

It kinda like the Sound Symposer except for your brakes.

And yes, I've driven PCCB. On the street.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by worf928
This - PCCB - is a(nother) situation in which Porsche has convinced a lot of people that perception is greater than truth and then get them to pay for it.

PCCBs feel better, faster, stronger but they aren't. I have yet to find a single objective test (where objective means 'instrumented') where PCCBs performed better (where better means greater than a few percent) than iron.

Plenty of folks say that they are more fade-resistant on-track (queue Karl and others) and that's great if you are going to track it.

The feel of PCCB is all about pedal effort from onset to full brake force. Less pedal effort leads to a perception of better braking performance.

It kinda like the Sound Symposer except for your brakes.

And yes, I've driven PCCB. On the street.
1. I'm totally sold. You would need to produce a range of testing data for the two cars in question to convince me otherwise. Btw do you have the braking tests for the 991tt w/and w/o PCCB?

2. Kinda makes you wonder why all the high end marques use them then, F1 inc? Put aside the larger DIA PCCB discs, zero fade, un-sprung weight mass benefits, I say just drive them both back to back as hard and fast as your nerve will allow and then convince yourself the steels stop as good. If you can do that, and keep a straight face, that is the ultimate test.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:10 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Originally Posted by AKSteve
What are the real differences between the TT and the TT-S anyway? Ceramic brakes, center lock wheels, LED lights and the same engine with software tuning to add 40hp? Seems like if you get a regular TT and add an aftermarket chip, you wind up with a car with more horsepower and that still has top-notch headlights and brakes as well as wheels that you can change over easily by yourself.
Base doesn't have PASM or PDCC or sport chrono either.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

A TTS is simply a TT "tarted up" with options and an easily attainable +40HP... for a BIG profit margin premium.

It must make Porsche's corp bean counters orgasmic to hear folks rapturing on that a TTS is so much more than the sum of it's parts...

Old 12-16-2015, 12:35 PM
FBA
Racer

Not if you want to maintain your powertrain warranty...period.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Build a non-S the way you want, and then check how many of those options are included in the S. That was really the deciding thing for me: with the exception of PCCB, everything I optioned on the regular was included in the S...and you get a little more power "for free."
Old 12-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Base doesn't have PASM or PDCC or sport chrono either.
Base has PASM STANDARD

For my needs the "S" was a Porsche Money Grab.....drove both back to back & the power difference was undetectable...."S" extra 20 second boost or otherwise.
Either had un-useable speed/power for me anyway.

Options

Sport Chrono is $4090
PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis) $3160
PCCB (ceramic brakes) $9210
LED $2340
Adaptive Cruise $2490

From GT Spirit article comparo TT V TTS

"What to Spec on a 991 Turbo?

Porsche makes good money with the optional extra’s for their cars and even for the 911 Turbo the list of optional extra’s seems endless. We had a look through the list of options and added our favorites to the list below. The Turbo S offers a lot of desirable systems that are optional on the Turbo as standard and also includes 40hp more. So if you are looking to go for a full option Turbo you can just as well go for the Turbo S.

A large difference in price between the Turbo and Turbo S is made by the standard Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) on the Turbo S, which cost nearly 10,000 Euro in Germany. These brakes are great but only if you plan to take the 911 Turbo on track regularly it justifies the investment.

Sport Chrono Package: Without it the Porsche 911 Turbo is simply not the same. The Sport Chrono Package offers the Sport Plus button in the center console. Sport Plus tightens everything including throttle responds and includes the launch control function.

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC): These computer controlled active anti-roll bars increase stiffness around bends and reduce body roll. Whether you should spec this or not depends more or less on your driving style. If you plan to take your car on track and push it hard definitely consider to spec this. On the public road however you won’t feel much improvement over the base car’s already excellent cornering abilities.

LED Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+): Adapts the distance and angle of your headlights based on your speed, cornering or oncoming traffic for best possible view in the dark. Also comes with the 4 LED daytime running lights that give the car a cool look.

Adaptive Cruise Control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS): Plan to use your Porsche 911 Turbo as a daily driver? Than this is must, adaptive cruise control makes long journeys on our congested roads much more comfortable and safer, even in a 911 Turbo."

Old 12-16-2015, 01:08 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
If you buy the base you'll always kick yourself for not spending the extra to get the S.
Exactly! What the Average Client doesn't realize are all the freebies on the S will cost the client on the Non S cash. Like 18 way seats, PCCB's if you wanted them. Also Option's that do cost money with the non S will be cheaper on the S.

So in short if you can afford it then go S. If you are worried over $10K to $15K then perhaps you might want to review what you want to buy. Please don't think I'm saying you cannot afford it. For all I know you might have been on a waiting list for a 918, P1 or LaFerrari! If that was the case you might want to take a look at the Pagani Huayra! It seems that after the 918's and P1's et al were all sold out then the Hedge Fund Manager's started Buying the Huayra's. Someone mentioned that during Pebble and Quail that there were a number of the new Pagani's in the Parking Lot. Fastest car around BBC's Top Gear!

Last edited by The New 911; 12-16-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Deciding between regular and the S