Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Back up camera slow to disengage? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/906792-back-up-camera-slow-to-disengage.html)

Hothonda 12-02-2015 11:22 AM

Back up camera slow to disengage?

2015 TT Build date 5/20/15....Shift into reverse....camera comes on. Shift into drive and start driving - maybe 5 + seconds still on .

Anyone else ?

THX

boxer-11 12-02-2015 12:24 PM

Same experience -- I was initially surprised that the view out the back stayed on the screen for "a long time" but I've actually grown to like and appreciate it. It affords a little extra situational awareness in places where I use reverse like parking lots and such.

The one that bugs me now is how long it takes for the intermittent wiper function to decide to clear the wind screen if it's raining as I start up the car and begin moving...again, taken to the low speed regimes like pulling out of a parking space, it seems like it takes so long to decide to clear the screen that it's leaving the forward view rain-blurred for far too long (...but the automatic nature of that is so good in every other way that I very rarely do anything other than leave the control stalk in the intermittent position).

LexVan 12-02-2015 12:26 PM

Can you customize this delay in the PCM? I don't have a back up camera in the Porsche but I do in my daily driver, and I can adjust the delay factor there.

FBA 12-02-2015 10:31 PM

The delay is intermittent on mine...sometimes up to 10 seconds and sometimes instant, but if I put it into park before drive, it's off right away....I remember seeing something in the PCM about delays, but I could be thinking about something else...

eddtiff 12-02-2015 11:26 PM

Yeah its about 4-5 seconds from Reverse to Drive for me.

speed21 12-03-2015 12:04 AM

Normal. My wifes Cayenne does the same thing too.

Keadog 12-03-2015 11:01 AM

Same here. Also on my wife's '08 A6 and my new BGTS. Doesn't bother me.

FastLaneTurbo 12-03-2015 12:30 PM

I also notice the variable delay (when it chooses to come on) in going off. A larger problem for me is that
sometimes the Back-up Camera comes on and sometimes it does not, displaying only a generic image of the car on the screen. No combination of menu preferences seems to fix the problem. Wonder if others
have found an inconsistency of Camera activating when in Reverse, and if so, any way to fix that?

Also, has anyone found any system, (i.e. front camera or?) that would prevent us from damaging the TTS's inflatable fabric front Air Dams or the GT3's Splitter on those high Concrete "Wheel Blocks" when parking?

Hothonda 12-03-2015 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 12808969)
Normal. My wifes Cayenne does the same thing too.

Thanks at least I'm not alone.....Porsche needs to do a better job on this though.

Carcam 12-04-2015 10:21 AM

Same here. I use the delay to see if the garage door is closed behind me as I drive down the road. If it really bugs you, hit the tuner button and it switches off immediately. Slow computer I suspect.

FBA 12-04-2015 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hothonda (Post 12810017)
Thanks at least I'm not alone.....Porsche needs to do a better job on this though.

I agree. All my other NON-Porsche vehicles switch back and forth instantly. There is no benefit that I can see with unnecessary delays.

jmorgan911 12-04-2015 09:12 PM

Maybe it switches off at certain speed, for example 10mph. So if your cruising in the parking garage at 5mph it might stay on longer, but if you accelerate over 10mph swiftly it turns off quickly.

mmblz 12-04-2015 11:53 PM

My Range Rover does this too and I'm pretty sure it's speed dependent. If I'm going very slowly in the rover I want to say it will stay on for something like 30 seconds. I actually like that it stays on...

PMNewton 12-05-2015 12:25 AM

It is speed dependent. The camera turns off when you exceed 9mph. It stays on until then in case you have to make a few back and forth corrections. No worries.

- Patrick

Need4S 12-05-2015 04:28 AM

I think the delay is on purpose. When you parallel park, it's often useful to have the camera on when going forward after reversing to see how far you are pulling away from the car behind, so as to best center the car in the space.