Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Must have options on a Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will say I quite like the alcantara roof/hood lining. But I would agree there is a lot of unnecessary fuss being made over it, and a lot of money being spent on what is to me an essentially underwhelming product when used beyond that area in the car. Same could also be said about the costly carbon fibre options as well. I don't mind it as a minority feature as a strip across the dash and around the gear console, but putting it all over the place I will never get. Less is more here, same with the alcantara. I guess maybe Porsche should continue the alcantara on the sunvisors to keep it all in keeping with the hood lining rather than using the plastic coverings on the visors. But to hell paying extra for it.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:26 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
When I lived in Austin, it was beige leather, white cars, and tinted windows.

Now I live in Portland and it's colors that look good when covered in mud and leaves

This weekend it feels like Portland here, non stop drizzle with intermittent rain. Crummy weekend. I think silver is probably the best color for not getting too hot and still being able to handle dirt well. If you have a good tint job then the lighter interior isn't absolutely necessary but it doesn't hurt. The most important feature here is the ventilated seats, if you don't get that you are escrewed in the summer. When I traded the 2021 RR SC for the 2015, I made sure I got the lux interior with the ventilated seats. The older model was less upgraded and had only heated seats. We have ventilated seats on both Porsches and had them on our BMWs and Lexus as well. I think Lexus was the first to introduce them but I could be wrong about that.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:31 PM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
I will say I quite like the alcantara roof/hood lining. But I would agree there is a lot of unnecessary fuss being made over it, and a lot of money being spent on what is to me an essentially underwhelming product when used beyond that area in the car. Same could also be said about the costly carbon fibre options as well. I don't mind it as a minority feature as a strip across the dash and around the gear console, but putting it all over the place I will never get. Less is more here, same with the alcantara. I guess maybe Porsche should continue the alcantara on the sunvisors to keep it all in keeping with the hood lining rather than using the plastic coverings on the visors. But to hell paying extra for it.
Yeah, alcantara makes sense as a headliner and visor liner and while my car has the carbon fiber trim interior, it's not a fave for me but it works well with the rest of the car so the person that spec'd the car did a good job coordinating the options, except for the ACC which I don't recommend unless you do a lot of highway driving and like that kind of toy. Mainly it just interferes with my style of highway driving.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs
Yeah, alcantara makes sense as a headliner and visor liner and while my car has the carbon fiber trim interior, it's not a fave for me but it works well with the rest of the car so the person that spec'd the car did a good job coordinating the options, except for the ACC which I don't recommend unless you do a lot of highway driving and like that kind of toy. Mainly it just interferes with my style of highway driving.
I enjoy just how different we like our cars

I do like the alcantara, especially on the steering wheel, shift lever, and headliner. I really like the GTS package on the 911's with the alcantara highlights on the doors and dash. Im not *huge* on the CF, but to me its better than brushed aluminum or plastic.

I also use my ACC all the time, especially anytime I get stuck in traffic.

Now... one thing that once blew my mind... I saw a 911 with a wood highlight interior.

Can we all agree that wood in a 911 after 1990 is NOT OK?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Visceral
I enjoy just how different we like our cars

I do like the alcantara, especially on the steering wheel, shift lever, and headliner. I really like the GTS package on the 911's with the alcantara highlights on the doors and dash. Im not *huge* on the CF, but to me its better than brushed aluminum or plastic.

I also use my ACC all the time, especially anytime I get stuck in traffic.

Now... one thing that once blew my mind... I saw a 911 with a wood highlight interior.

Can we all agree that wood in a 911 after 1990 is NOT OK?
It's a sports car so it shouldn't have wood trim. I had Piano Black wood in my M5 but it's a Saloon Racer, not a sports car, it's just a fast luxury box. I definitely understand a lot of people like alcantara which is why I was cautious in expressing my lack of fondness for it. I am surprised you get a lot of use out of the ACC, do you have a cop catcher? I am pretty sure the ACC uses K band and produces false alerts. Oh and one more thing about ACC, that unit is $2300 and if for any reason the mount breaks, they will want to replace the whole thing.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:59 PM
cartester
Instructor

The 911 is a beautiful car. However only a wood trim interior makes any sense to complement the beauty of the rest of the car. Wood trim is beautiful and elegant and is a perfect match for the high performance sports character as well as the high quality luxury interior of the car. Carbon fiber, black, leather, plastic. Meh, dull and ugly.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 AM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts

I got an awful lot of options so have some experience on which ones I could live without, on the fence, or love. Also at least one that I wish I got...

Could have left them off or did leave off:
- In 1.5 years I have never used the Adaptive Cruise Control.
- Likewise for Voice Control, never use it
- Adaptive steering: didn't get it; don't miss it

Glad I got it, but kind of meh:
- Light Design Package. It adds a little bit
- Seat Ventilation. I would miss not having the buttons there.
- Entry & Drive

Options I would seriously miss:
- ParkAssist with reversing camera.
- Glass roof
- Burmester
- Steering wheel heating (seat heating was standard)

Options that do nothing, but I look at every day and love them:
- Extra leather on steering column & dash + deviated stitching on wheel, steering column, and dash
- Illuminated door sills.
- Center tunnel in leather w/ decorative stitching
- Porsche crests on headrests

Standard but surprisingly would never get another Porsche w/o it
- PCCBs. They perform great, sure; but they're also huge, look beautiful, and are FOREVER clean

Didn't get and wish I had:
- Seat belts in racing yellow to match the exterior color.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Adaptive cruise control, So you never used it on I 5 in Seattle traffic?
Will not own a car without it!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aerokt?

Looking at this thread, did not see where anyone mentioned the AeroKit.....thoughts?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
Looking at this thread, did not see where anyone mentioned the AeroKit.....thoughts?
Recently saw a new unsold '16 Lava Orange TTS Aerokit Turbo w/black....didn't waste much time looking for $6950. Wouldn't take the option even for free.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:38 PM
TheGhost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How exactly is the rear wing different, for example, with Aero kit?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGhost
How exactly is the rear wing different, for example, with Aero kit?
This...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991TTAK.html
Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sscofield
I don't mind it. It is pricey though. With or without is good either-way IMO.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDCC really worth it? Seems like alot of non S cars do not have this feature? Also when it comes to carbon brakes do you guys find them too grippy for everyday use. I am going to be using this car as a daily driver cruiser rather than a spirited race car. My ferrari ceramic brakes are very grippy which makes it annoying at low speeds??
Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by islandtrader
PDCC really worth it? Seems like alot of non S cars do not have this feature? Also when it comes to carbon brakes do you guys find them too grippy for everyday use. I am going to be using this car as a daily driver cruiser rather than a spirited race car. My ferrari ceramic brakes are very grippy which makes it annoying at low speeds??
Absolutely! But if you are only going to be cruising around it isn't essential. You are right the majority of TT's don't have it as an option. It seems many prefer to spread the cost over other options without giving too much consideration toward how this car behaves under high performance driving situations and, the additional potential these two performance features add. You will soon come to find at one point that the sheer power allows the car to be catapulted between corners using the massive acceleration and braking power on tap. And it is in this situation the PDCC really keeps the body movement in check. Through fast twists it is sublime. It sharpens everything right up to near go kart levels.... in many ways how a GT3 feels if you've ever driven one. The steering becomes really precise and reassures exactly where the car is up to in it's grip levels. It's quite an amazing feature...worth every single penny!! Much like the PCCB, once you've owned a 991tt with it, and enjoyed the benefits, it would become very hard stepping back to one without it. I dd mine and the PCCB's give such assurance. The bite is also very easily modulated I find. I actually love the feel especially when you have to stop unexpectedly during an acceleration burst. The speed just rips off instantly. Amazing! I still don't have any idea where the brake pad dust goes, the wheels never seem to get dirty even in the rain.

Quick Reply: Must have options on a Turbo S