Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Must have options on a Turbo S

Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
speed21's advice is good: check-out the standard stuff. The Porsche configurator and website is a great place to start.

I can only give you examples of what I did not want. You have to decide for yourself.

As for me, these are the options that were must-not-haves:
Center lock wheels
Sunroof (of any kind)
PCCB
Entry and Drive
Power Steering Plus

Edit:

Oh yes, and the Electric Parking Brake. Unfortunately that POS is standard.
That's RIGHT! I would go to the end of the earth to avoid the centerlock wheels. Thanks to some sensible forethought, I have a Turbo S without them.

I do disagree respectfully with my esteemed colleague on one point. The PCCB's are a must-have in my opinion if you are not going to repeatedly track the car. Having driven cars with and without them, I feel that the brake system feel on the PCCBs is worth every penny and many more. I did not like the Mercedes setup when I spec'd the E63. But the PCCB performance for the street is amazing (IMHO).

I do also like the entry and drive, but I understand about the sunroof. Mine is my only trouble-spot in an otherwise faultless car.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
One thing i missed was Alcantara visors. Otherwise you get VW plastic ones!
+1. Disgusting that they put $1 plastic sun visors in a $200k car. This option was not on mine and it is ridiculous
Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Guys, I have been looking at some Turbo/Turbo S recently. I realize the turbo s is pretty well optioned bone stock, anything else that is essential in this car?
I forgot to add, Premium Package Plus is also a must have. Love the center locks! No idea why anyone would not. It's one of the reasons I went with the S over base turbo, that and all the other standard options that come with the S including the PCCB's. I also got the lighted carbon door sills. Very slick looking!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
I forgot to add, Premium Package Plus is also a must have. Love the center locks! No idea why anyone would not. It's one of the reasons I went with the S over base turbo, that and all the other standard options that come with the S including the PCCB's. I also got the lighted carbon door sills. Very slick looking!
Definitely illuminated carbon door sills. Burmester is incredible. Wish I had gotten painted lower panels (or whatever they are called because they come in black stock). Got Porsche crest on center storage compartment cover, deviating carpet so that it would be espresso rather than cognac, not sure which option includes the high beam assist, but it is a welcome addition, design lighting for sure, Premium Package includes must-haves. Otherwise the TTS has many options not on the TT. Option out a TT similarly and you might as well get the TTS. We all know that Porsche's profit margins are crazy, especially on options, but that is how one can make a Porsche truly theirs. Some members include lots of leather bits and deviating stitching as well as Paint to Sample exteriors. I will probably go that route with my next Porsche.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:11 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdg1871
+1. Disgusting that they put $1 plastic sun visors in a $200k car. This option was not on mine and it is ridiculous
I didn't even notice it until I checked after Karl's post. It's like on Ferrari, you can get so much stitching and carbon fiber but then spec partially adjustable seats and then not have a comfortable car. Too many options but I could care less about the visors, I wear sunglasses for the glare anyway.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndrewP
D not sure which option includes the high beam assist, but it is a welcome addition, design lighting for sure,.
I think the high beam assist is standard on the TTS. I believe it falls under the Comfort and Convenience list as

LED headlights incl Porsche Dynamic Lighting System Plus (PDLS Plus)

Mine has ACC and I keep it turned off because it produced K band alerts on my 9500ci as it also includes Porsche Active Safe (PAS) which I also keep turned off.

I have Burmester and on the CTTS I have Bose which is not nearly as good. The RR has the Meridian 19 speaker system which was a $1950 option and that is also a very good system but not quite as good as the Burmester which has bass that can knock you out of your seat if you choose. The benefit of the 19 speakers in the RR is that you have more space for the sound so you get a fuller effect of the sound which is sort of lost in the small 911 cabin. Still, I wouldn't have gotten one without it. Light Design and Entry and Drive are good options too. In fact, it is the Entry and Drive that allows you to open the frunk without using the Fob by just touching the front bumper.

Seat Ventilation is a must and is an option, in '14 it was $840.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs
I didn't even notice it until I checked after Karl's post. It's like on Ferrari, you can get so much stitching and carbon fiber but then spec partially adjustable seats and then not have a comfortable car. Too many options but I could care less about the visors, I wear sunglasses for the glare anyway.
It feels very out of place in a $200k car. My E)3 S which was half the price has them standard in Alcantara.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 PM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdg1871
It feels very out of place in a $200k car. My E)3 S which was half the price has them standard in Alcantara.
IMO, Acantara is just fake suede, it's cheap and makes a car look like crap. I know that goes against the grain for a lot people that think it's something special but the only thing I have heard is that it's good material for racing seats because you don't slip in the seat. However, I would rather sit on nice leather than that stuff. I would rather have it in the headliner than plastic but the visors don't matter to me and like I said before, I never even noticed that before Karl mentioned it.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:31 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Originally Posted by wrs
IMO, Acantara is just fake suede, it's cheap and makes a car look like crap. I know that goes against the grain for a lot people that think it's something special but the only thing I have heard is that it's good material for racing seats because you don't slip in the seat. However, I would rather sit on nice leather than that stuff. I would rather have it in the headliner than plastic but the visors don't matter to me and like I said before, I never even noticed that before Karl mentioned it.
I agree, can't stand that fake suede. Even if it does wear just as well as leather it's so cheap looking. One of the reasons I bought a Cab is it has no alcantera in it
Old 11-25-2015, 09:02 PM
wrs
Instructor

I agree, can't stand that fake suede. Even if it does wear just as well as leather it's so cheap looking. One of the reasons I bought a Cab is it has no alcantera in it
Glad I am not out on an island with that viewpoint. I really hate seeing it in a Ferrari and then they put it on the steering wheel in the M5, ugh.....
Old 11-26-2015, 12:15 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Originally Posted by wrs
Glad I am not out on an island with that viewpoint. I really hate seeing it in a Ferrari and then they put it on the steering wheel in the M5, ugh.....
I've been looking for a newer Boxster for the wife and really like the GTS but almost all have the GTS interior package which includes the alcantera on steering wheel, seats, door panels, etc., and once wife saw all of that said no way. Plus you can't get ventilated seats with alcantera which is another big turnoff.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been looking for a newer Boxster for the wife and really like the GTS but almost all have the GTS interior package which includes the alcantera on steering wheel, seats, door panels, etc., and once wife saw all of that said no way. Plus you can't get ventilated seats with alcantera which is another big turnoff.
I think you can order a GTS with leather instead of Alcantara.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:04 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Originally Posted by Need4S
I think you can order a GTS with leather instead of Alcantara.
Correct, but looking at slightly used with CPO and used GTS market they all seem to have been ordered with the GTS interior option which is with all the alcantera. Might have to drop down to a Boxster S. Wife doesn't much care about the extra horsepower or performance stuff.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:52 AM
wrs
Instructor

Exactly, another reason not to have the stuff in Texas for sure.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

When I lived in Austin, it was beige leather, white cars, and tinted windows.

Now I live in Portland and it's colors that look good when covered in mud and leaves

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Must have options on a Turbo S