Sponsored by: Road Spy

My car is now a beast

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car is now a beast

I added the IPD Y-Pipe and ByDesign intercoolers this week along with a custom tune using the Cobb AP that takes into account my 200 cell cats and FVD headers which are not equal length. The car made 553whp and 635 ftlbs of torque. In bolt on only configuration the car made 520whp and 557ftlb torque up from 474whp and 518ftlb of torque with just the IPD Plenum, FVD headers and FVD sport exhaust with 200 cell cats and FVD tips. Pretty significant gains for just two boltons but the ICs on the stock configuration are not very efficient. Look at this video and the water vapor that is produced by the ICs at the high end of the run. The tune of course is the key as it added an additional 35-50hp (we had another run that aborted on the final map which should have probably produced about 562hp and is shown in green on the dyno chart)

Props to ATXAutosport for the precision work in fitting the ICs into the stock shrouds and ByDesign for the ICs and Cobb/ByDesign for the tuning. Now to put down some big numbers at the strip and track this weekend, weather permitting.

Attached Images     
Old 10-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Time to test some highly oxygenated unleaded race fuel!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

60-130?

Do you have SAE numbers?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:28 PM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbo8765
60-130?

Do you have SAE numbers?
No chance to get out and test it yet due to bad weather. Hope to get some Vbox data this week out at my favorite county road and weather permitting, go to the dragstrip on Friday. What are SAE numbers?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

There are different correction factors that may be applied to dyno results to correct for conditions.

SAE are generally preferred. STD (as used above) commonly yield higher numbers than SAE.

Alternatively you could post uncorrected numbers and the test conditions.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM
wrs
Instructor

There are different correction factors that may be applied to dyno results to correct for conditions.

SAE are generally preferred. STD (as used above) commonly yield higher numbers than SAE.

Alternatively you could post uncorrected numbers and the test conditions.
Here is the post at 6speedonline where I tabulated the results of testing with the initial Cobb Tune and then when I got the new stuff on and the second ByDesign/Cobb custom tune. In Sep it was about 95F and in Oct it was about 80F so there was a 15 degree ambient delta. I don't know what correction factor to apply, I think I read that AWD correction factor is about 22.5% which would put my car somewhere around 730 SAE if that's a valid correction factor and if it did produce 565hp on the last run which didn't complete.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 AM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRS,

Your installer did a really great job. I love how the factory locking tabs on the shrouds still fit perfectly vs the RSW install where, not so much. I will be installing mine this weekend. Any tips from your installer about preventing the boost hose from popping off again?

Thanks and congrats,
- Patrick
Old 11-04-2015, 01:13 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrs
Here is the post at 6speedonline where I tabulated the results of testing with the initial Cobb Tune and then when I got the new stuff on and the second ByDesign/Cobb custom tune. In Sep it was about 95F and in Oct it was about 80F so there was a 15 degree ambient delta. I don't know what correction factor to apply, I think I read that AWD correction factor is about 22.5% which would put my car somewhere around 730 SAE if that's a valid correction factor and if it did produce 565hp on the last run which didn't complete.
You're referring to drive train loss. I suspect it's much lower than 22.5%, but that's a different discussion.

The correction factor is used to adjust for non-standard conditions. A correction factor has been applied to your hp and trq values. Different protocols (SAE v STD) use a different correction factor for the same conditions.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by PMNewton
WRS,

Your installer did a really great job. I love how the factory locking tabs on the shrouds still fit perfectly vs the RSW install where, not so much. I will be installing mine this weekend. Any tips from your installer about preventing the boost hose from popping off again?

Thanks and congrats,
- Patrick
They did cut some material but they said it was just a matter of working the pieces in place. They are going to look at the hose clamp today, maybe use a different clamp.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM
wrs
Instructor

You're referring to drive train loss. I suspect it's much lower than 22.5%, but that's a different discussion.

The correction factor is used to adjust for non-standard conditions. A correction factor has been applied to your hp and trq values. Different protocols (SAE v STD) use a different correction factor for the same conditions.
Yeah well all I know about is drivetrain loss and someone had said 22.5% isn't unusual for awd on a thread here or 6speedonline.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 AM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrs
They did cut some material but they said it was just a matter of working the pieces in place. They are going to look at the hose clamp today, maybe use a different clamp.
Just to clarify, did it separate at the IC outlet or at the throttle body?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by PMNewton
Just to clarify, did it separate at the IC outlet or at the throttle body?

Thanks,
Patrick
At the throttle body up on top where the Ypipe and Plenum meet. The guys at ATX think since it's silicon, the heat may have made is more slick but I didn't have any issues a couple days later when I went out to my favorite county road.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:24 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrs
At the throttle body up on top where the Ypipe and Plenum meet. The guys at ATX think since it's silicon, the heat may have made is more slick but I didn't have any issues a couple days later when I went out to my favorite county road.
Thanks! I'll be sure to clean the connections thoroughly and look into options for the clamps as well. I can't wait!

- Patrick
Old 11-07-2015, 11:59 AM
The New 911
Pro

Holy Guacamole. What is the correction on that Torque? And did this start off as an TT or TTS? With "Just" a new Y plenum, headers and I.C.'s. And a reprogrammed mapped holy $!hT. All that torque but too bad that Porsche didn't gear the car to take advantage of all that aftermarket torque.

How many transmission shops could take on the issue of working on a PDK?

Wonder how soon after the 911 and 911S have complete turbo kits to increasing the power on their. Wonder how far the gains will be and if turbos will be apart of those gains if wanted. These new engines for the plain Jane engine that are apart of them

Last edited by The New 911; 11-07-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:53 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by The New 911
Holy Guacamole. What is the correction on that Torque? And did this start off as an TT or TTS? With "Just" a new Y plenum, headers and I.C.'s. And a reprogrammed mapped holy $!hT. All that torque but too bad that Porsche didn't gear the car to take advantage of all that aftermarket torque.

How many transmission shops could take on the issue of working on a PDK?

Wonder how soon after the 911 and 911S have complete turbo kits to increasing the power on their. Wonder how far the gains will be and if turbos will be apart of those gains if wanted. These new engines for the plain Jane engine that are apart of them
There are 991s running 9's in the quarter mile on the stock PDK. One reports he is beginning to slip but he is making 800 awtq with aftermarket VTGs. I wouldn't be too worried about the PDK with stock turbos.

- Patrick

Quick Reply: My car is now a beast