Sponsored by: Road Spy

Had some fun with a 650S yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Had some fun with a 650S yesterday

Some friends and I got together for a proper New England foliage cruise yesterday. Included in that group was my (new to me) 991 TTS, a 997.2 CS and a new Mclaren 650S.

I just got my TTS a little over 2 weeks ago so this was the first time I was able to really drive her hard. Such a massive improvement over my old 997tt in every...single...way.

We did about 2 hours of back country road twisties and finished the day with an hour highway run back home where the 650S and i did a full 3rd gear pulls (again responsibly with no traffic around of course) to check out what each of us had.

A pic below and a video when I get time to edit it.

A few observations:

1. The 650S is an absolute animal. I, like so many others, always viewed the Maccas as a bit sterile.. more computer than visceral driving machine. I was wrong.. very wrong. It was loud and exciting and if you think you can keep up with it on long stretches of straight.. forget it.. once the clock hits 100mph.. it's gone... and in a major way. Total beast and I have a new found respect for these cars that did not exist before. We've all seen Chris Harris drag the TTS against the 12 C so you can imagine what the 650S is like, but honestly, the 650S only really shined over my TTS on the straights. And I reckon, though he and I did not drag race (yet), that my TTS would get the jump and prob stay ahead or even up to 100mph.

2. While the 650S dominates in straight line acceleration, it was no match to my TTS on the back country twisties. Again, the TTS is new to me so you guys already know this, but holey f*ck, the TTS car is PLANTED on the turns. I'm used to awd but the aws is new to me and it blew me away. I kept going harder, not really a big fan of p zeroes to begin with, and the TTS kept delivering... over and over again. And with all that low end torque we have, I could literally launch out of each and every situation, whereas the 650S had a lot trouble just getting traction in some spots. I actually lost him from my rear view entirely in a few areas.

And after 3 hours of good fun, I collected my daughter and then we took the TTS to the grocery store.

Really is the best of all worlds, the true everyday supercar.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:02 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello aminewyork,

Nice write up you have there, along with the beasty TTS toy of yours! If I was to purchase a turbo, hands down it would be the TTS. Congrats on your new toy.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 10-20-2015, 04:46 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I continue to learn from Porsche owners how impressed they are with the 650S... However, I thought on twesties the McLaren would be superior if not equal to Porsche.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome. Throw a tune/exhaust on it and the 650s would have some trouble keeping up with your car on the straights too.

Personally I think the McLarens are incredible cars but sadly that is not reflected in their astonishing depreciation.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:47 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Awesome. Throw a tune/exhaust on it and the 650s would have some trouble keeping up with your car on the straights too.

Personally I think the McLarens are incredible cars but sadly that is not reflected in their astonishing depreciation.
Indeed - I've been reading your posts along with others with the Cobb tune and I was wondering that myself. I'm thinking I'll upgrade to EP exhaust and Cobb tune next spring. Unfort, with winter approaching here in New England, I only have a few weeks left before TTS will get stored for the next few months.

Very true about the depreciation. Now that Mclaren has somewhat figured out their model range, perhaps it won't be so bad. I'm sure there are still quite a few 12C owners that are not very happy.

Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen
I continue to learn from Porsche owners how impressed they are with the 650S... However, I thought on twesties the McLaren would be superior if not equal to Porsche.

Thank you for sharing.
To be fair, it was about 49F outside and I had home court advantage as I drive these specific roads every day. The 650S was losing a bit of traction here and there as it's rwd.. massively advanced rwd, but rwd nonetheless. Our awd/aws systems are far superior for the conditions we were in.

Plus our torque peak power is much lower (2100 or so if Im correct) whereas 650S is higher in rev range (up around 6k, again if I'm correct). This is what I meant about me being able to launch out of hairpins much faster then the 650S

Now, on a track with lots of straights, this would be a very different story.

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Hello aminewyork,

Nice write up you have there, along with the beasty TTS toy of yours! If I was to purchase a turbo, hands down it would be the TTS. Congrats on your new toy.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
thx much.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Nice write up.

Now go clean out the radiator ducts.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:40 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up aminewyork!

^Re the radiator leaves comment I always wonder whenever I clean mine out after a good mountain run how many have wound up going down the IC ducts.

Quick Reply: Had some fun with a 650S yesterday