Sponsored by: Road Spy

Noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:06 PM
TheGhost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob questions

Greetings, everyone. You have a really nice community here.

I am wondering how all of these mods to 911 TT/S are generally viewed in terms of resale value and in terms of warranty? If I get a new TTS I will probably keep it for a long time. Some of these ECU mods, for example, offer sizable performance gains, but I am wondering what the downsides are? Will these mods void the warranty? Will they decrease resale value?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:50 PM
milaadf
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally, if I was purchasing a car used I would prefer one that has no modification. However, like yourself I am on the fence about getting an exhaust and how this would affect the overall longevity of the car. I am excited to see what the group has to say. In speaking with some of the tuners I was told that the ECU wouldn't have as much of an impact on the overall "driving experience" with a PDK car as it would have if the car was a manual.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

First welcome.

Second there are a tremedous amount of threads about all this sort of stuff so have fun getting caught up.

Third you will not get the same answer as all these topics have been debated for years.

Here goes my spin.
  • when I was shopping I absolutely did not want a car with any mods, just me.
  • from my dealer he has zero issue with a few bolt ons to include an exhaust and y-pipe. After that he said you are getting in the gray area for warranty.
  • ECU tuning. Don't let anyone fool you, once you do it the manufacturer knows. Doesn't mean it voids the warranty but it certainly can based on the issue.
  • Lastly I do not think any of the bolt ons are going to hurt resale. The others may.

Good luck on your search and cheers.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:38 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGhost
Greetings, everyone. You have a really nice community here.

I am wondering how all of these mods to 911 TT/S are generally viewed in terms of resale value and in terms of warranty? If I get a new TTS I will probably keep it for a long time. Some of these ECU mods, for example, offer sizable performance gains, but I am wondering what the downsides are? Will these mods void the warranty? Will they decrease resale value?

Thanks.
I bought my 2014 991 tts a year ago with 3k miles on it. At the time it had a Passport CI, front back and side clear bra and a FVD performance exhaust. I got it for $157k because no one seemed to want it. They started it out at $182k and dropped it to $160k before I made my offer. The Invoice shows $192k, it's a loaded car and I have probably sunk $15,000 into it since then with boltons and two different ECU tunes, one a piggyback which was flawless and I would sell to you and the other is the Cobb AP which makes it easy to just remove the tune entirely and put the car back to stock without any mechanical work at all. I am just starting to mess with it. I have ByDesign ICs and the IPD Y-Pipe on order. You can see my mod list in my sig.

I just put a Fabspeed exhaust with secondary cat bypass pipes and tips on my wife's CTTS. I don't mind spending money on these cars. I have been denied a Ferrari by my wife so I am going all out on the Porsche instead.

I paid my car off and plan to have it for a while. If I do get a Ferrari, it will sit in offsite storage because the 991tts is a DD while the Ferrari is AtoA and special occasion car. My neighbor mostly never drives his, he just starts it up every so often but he gets a new one every year.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:42 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs
I have been denied a Ferrari by my wife so I am going all out on the Porsche instead.

Quick Reply: Noob questions