Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

How many of you have lowered your 991 Turbo/S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Stock Turbo wheels on Techart lowering springs.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
One of the reasons why I love my 991 Turbo S is because of its extra ride height. I could take it anywhere without having to worry about curbs, ramps, dibs, and etc. I already have extra low cars, and the last thing I need is another low car where I have to think about where I am going.

This is also the very reason why I can drive my Turbo S so fast on canyon roads, because it doesn't bottom out everywhere. My buddy's 991 GT3RS would bottom out and bounce everywhere....
Agreed. I gave a friend of mine who owns a Lamborghini Aventador SV a ride in the Turbo S on a rough road and he kept telling me to slow down because he thought the car would bottom out. He was amazed that it didn't. That's where I keep my ride height stock.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
One of the reasons why I love my 991 Turbo S is because of its extra ride height. I could take it anywhere without having to worry about curbs, ramps, dibs, and etc. I already have extra low cars, and the last thing I need is another low car where I have to think about where I am going.

This is also the very reason why I can drive my Turbo S so fast on canyon roads, because it doesn't bottom out everywhere. My buddy's 991 GT3RS would bottom out and bounce everywhere....
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not going to lower my TT. Love the handling as is, especially with PDCC and don't want to mess with it. Sure, looks cool when lowered but don't feel like replacing the front aero.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM
gsc
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on 21" HRE and Techart springs out here in NY, drive @ 250 miles per weeks thru NJ-NY, etc. You just have to be careful and understand the roads taken.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:09 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Some of you are miss informed. Lowering springs does not change the ride, basically a little stiffer, but hardly noticeable. GT3 s have different track oriented suspension. All USA Porsche"s are raised 30mm from German Porsche's, original designed specs due to our pathetically shi**y road inUSA!
Lowering make the car actually the correct designed height! car looks much better.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Some of you are miss informed. Lowering springs does not change the ride, basically a little stiffer, but hardly noticeable.
You contradict yourself. Does lowering not change the ride? Or when you wrote "does not change the ride" what you meant was "a little stiffer."

Unless there is extra unused suspension travel, lowering and ensuring not bottoming-out requires stiffer. Because Physics. Whether or not it is noticeable depends upon the roads and your butt.

Sure, on billiard-table smooth roads you wouldn't even notice the difference between a solid bushing suspension and a rubber bushing suspension.

But, in the real world - and even on track - stiffer is not always better.

If your goal is to make a 911 Turbo into a track-toy almost-GT2 then by all means slam it to the ground, put in solid bushings, remove the sound insulation, go to town. But those changes will not make it a better street car.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

yes, a little stiffer.Ai person would not notice the difference. I have H&R springs, i can not speak for others brands, suggest you call H&R dealer and ask there opinion.
or better yet go for ride in a TTS with H&R Spring. i am in S.FL,i will take for spin if your around.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

If Ii lived in New England, I would not even consider lowering a TTS.
I daily drive my TTS in FL. 30 K on it in 18 mo..,only find bad roads in Miami area
Old 09-30-2015, 09:34 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default German spec springs

Originally Posted by Karl911
Some of you are miss informed. Lowering springs does not change the ride, basically a little stiffer, but hardly noticeable. GT3 s have different track oriented suspension. All USA Porsche"s are raised 30mm from German Porsche's, original designed specs due to our pathetically shi**y road inUSA!
Lowering make the car actually the correct designed height! car looks much better.
Are German spec springs available in the US?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:09 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

For those that are afraid of lowering your car, I was too.

I do not have all the science, spring rates etc etc. I wanted to take up a little wheel gap and get rid of the SUV look.

I installed Techart springs. The lowering was minimal to take up just a bit of the gap.
1. There is zero difference in the ride quality. This was also validated by my wife who would have killed me.
2. I do not notice any difference in handling, butt dyno through the canyons. Not on the track but even if I was to go to the track I am not experienced enough to tell either.
3. The car does not bottom out, ever. Never has.
4. Lastly the ONLY difference is the front is slightly lower so I have to take my very severe driveway at a more aggressive angle.

There are plenty of springs solutions out there for all the different needs someone would want. I would do some research before just thinking that lowering your car is evil and it will change the way it is now.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 AM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
Lowered on Techart springs (30mm) with Track Spec 5 ADV1's. No issues here, but need to be careful on bumps / potholes.

Are those OEM wheels painted black pre or post delivery? Satin Black????? or Powder coated?? Thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 07:31 AM
FBA
Racer

Those aren't the OEM wheels. They are the ADV1 Track Spec 5's in satin black. They are wider at both front and back, with a different offset as well. I have the OEM wheels powder coated in gloss black as well, but I don't use them.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 AM
FBA
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
You contradict yourself. Does lowering not change the ride? Or when you wrote "does not change the ride" what you meant was "a little stiffer."

Unless there is extra unused suspension travel, lowering and ensuring not bottoming-out requires stiffer. Because Physics. Whether or not it is noticeable depends upon the roads and your butt.

Sure, on billiard-table smooth roads you wouldn't even notice the difference between a solid bushing suspension and a rubber bushing suspension.

But, in the real world - and even on track - stiffer is not always better.

If your goal is to make a 911 Turbo into a track-toy almost-GT2 then by all means slam it to the ground, put in solid bushings, remove the sound insulation, go to town. But those changes will not make it a better street car.
It amazes me when people simply theorize about things, when they have no practical experience to back it up.

You can't tell those of us who HAVE DONE it what it's like, because you yourself, have NOT lowered your 991 TT/S. You have zero clue as to how the car rides or handles, because you post about it without the actual experience.

If you had read the title of the thread, you would have noticed that it states

"How many of you have lowered your 991 Turbo/S?",

and not:

"How many of you who haven't lowered your 991 Turbo/S but have an opinion on it?

You seem to have nothing better to do than troll here...and pick apart posts because they don't concur with your opinions. That's very helpful.
The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (11-22-2019)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
It amazes me when people simply theorize about things, when they have no practical experience to back it up.
And you have no idea what my practical experience with suspensions actually is.

You seem to have nothing better to do than troll here...and pick apart posts because they don't concur with your opinions. That's very helpful.
LOL. If I'm the kettle you are the pot.

Quick Reply: How many of you have lowered your 991 Turbo/S?