Sponsored by: Road Spy

Making jump from 997.1tt to 991tts - lease/purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:48 AM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Making jump from 997.1tt to 991tts - lease/purchase question

Would love some thoughts from the group here. Thx in advance.

The story -

My DD is a '08 997 tt - GT silver over full natural brown with all the bells. Bone stock except for EP2 exhaust and GT3 shift kit. Immaculate condition inside and out with replaced odds and ends to make new, including brand new driver's side door panel ($4k that Porsche CPO ended up covering).

It's got 49k miles on the clock and CPO has ended so while I love her, I'm starting to develop that urge for something new, which all of here struggle with often .

Anyway, I really like a '15 TTS at local dealer in perfect spec for me. Made mistake of driving it yesterday and now I have to have it!!

Thinking about leasing vs buying as I'm ideal lease candidate with only driving 5k miles a year due to travel.

That said, I never lease and always buy - preferably outright if I can, but have tried to focus on garage queen CPO cars as of late to avoid that big depreciation hit of P car purchase.

Not in position for cash purchase right now and really want to be as little out of pocket as possible.

Spent about 2 hours going through this forum to get educated but still have questions.

Would love some thoughts for the 991tt/s guys here on the following:

1. Lease vs buy. Looks like most of you guys have purchased vs lease. That so? What's the current consensus of the group here re leasing 991tts?

2. Here's the opening deal my dealer is tossing at me (prior to negotiation):

- New car = 2015 991 tts in GT Silver/full black with all the bells (burmester, back up cam, carbon bits).
- MSRP = $195,915. Sale price/cap cost - $180k
- Money factor is .00230

- 5k miles @ 39 months = payment $2807/month with $4k due at signing
- 7500 miles @ 39 months = payment $2856/month with $4k due at signing
- 10k miles @ 39 months = payment $2906/month with $4k due at signing

He also offered me $61k for my 997 - but that is a sep convo to have all together.

Thoughts?

My take = it was high, especially for a left over '15 that has been on his lot for a few weeks and we are are in full fall weather and heading into winter soon here in New England.

Last edited by aminewyork; 09-18-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:44 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbos have a huge depreciation in the first 18 months. Porsche is very conservative with their lease residuals. Leasing really gives you cash flow and possible tax deduction options. If maximizing your money is the goal, then sell your car privately, and buy a used 991TTS, they are all over the place now with good pricing, as low as $150K. But if your time is valuable, and your just want to get it done with your local dealer, I suggest buying, you will come out slightly better if you need to unload the car.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

At 200k, I'd want to spec it out exactly how I want it, my take but at that price point I'm not taking a leftover '15 off the lot. Leasing is good if you're going to use it daily, cost and tax advantages. When I lease, I never leave any sd or dp (cap reduction). You have no equity but you're only paying for what you're using. But if the dealer is taking your trade as a dp on the 991 and then leasing at the cap reduced price, that I wouldn't do, not a good deal.
Keep in mind, they depreciate like rocks, especially with a new model coming out.
You're best bet, trade yours in on a barely used cpo 991tt, scratch the itch and get the tax advantage of the trade in.
Good luck, but I'd keep the 997......
Old 09-19-2015, 02:16 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

In a state with high sales tax, like California, leasing allows you to pay tax only on the lease payments, a large savings. On a $200k car, let's say tax is $20k. If you lease for 3 years with $100k residual your tax bill is about half.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:57 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Leaving hyperbole aside, Porsche currently has 29 pre-owned Turbo S's listed for sale across the nation (about one per two states), as compared to 15 991 GT3s. If you are open to buying used, several look worth exploring.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by aminewyork
Anyway, I really like a '15 TTS at local dealer in perfect spec for me. Made mistake of driving it yesterday and now I have to have it!!
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
At 200k, I'd want to spec it out exactly how I want it, my take but at that price point I'm not taking a leftover '15 off the lot.
It just depends on how close the spec is to one's interests and what the price difference is between buying the 2015 TTS and ordering a 2016. If both cars are new and both the spec is close (or *perfect*, as OP stated) and the discount is considerable on the 2015, I don't see the sense in ordering the 2016.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM
speed21
Banned

Not in position for cash purchase right now and really want to be as little out of pocket as possible.
1) Know exactly how you feel. Once you drive it you have to have it. It really is that much better in so many ways.

2) Agree with Chris on this one, pick up a good used CPO and satisfy the immediate, get the optimum on the trade. I'd take whatever saving you can get with .2 just around the corner. As an FYI orders were closed here a month and a half ago for .1 so that tells you something.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed21
1) Know exactly how you feel. Once you drive it you have to have it. It really is that much better in so many ways.
The difference in fit, finish, comfort, personality and power, of course, between 997 tt vs 991 tt is not subtle. It's very major. It's what surprised the most and what has stayed with me post test drive.

The comparison is by no means as drastic as this, however I did have the image below in my mind while driving my 997 tt home after 20 mins of hammering the 991 tts on back roads.

2) Agree with Chris on this one, pick up a good used CPO and satisfy the immediate, get the optimum on the trade. I'd take whatever saving you can get with .2 just around the corner. As an FYI orders were closed here a month and a half ago for .1 so that tells you something.
Agree 100%. I custom order our family DD (Cayenne GTS every 3 years) but I never buy new for me. Kills me to take that depreciation hit but we share GTS and take on family trips and it's highly satisfying to have spec'd every single option you want...so i grin and bear it.

I've also been looking at CPO TTS's as well.

With regard to this particular car at the dealer - I'm interested in it b/c

a) it was damn close to my exact spec (save for a few minor aesthetic things)
b) it's a left over 2015 that's been on his lot for a few weeks and we're heading into winter here in New England and I know they want to get rid of it, though the current deal doesn't really reflect that as of yet.

I'm going to deal hard and my getting it will be a function of how much of a deal he'll give me to move it off his lot.

Still stuck on lease vs buying though. Porsche doesn't make it any easier to lease with their money factor. I'm going to push back on that part of the deal today.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 AM
speed21
Banned

Agree 100%. I custom order our family DD (Cayenne GTS every 3 years) but I never buy new for me. Kills me to take that depreciation hit, but wife drives a lot and we take GTS on family trips so i grin and bear it.

I've also been looking at CPO TTS's as well.

With regard to this particular car at the dealer - I'm interested in it b/c

a) it was damn close to my exact spec (save for a few minor aesthetic things)
b) it's a left over 2015 that's been on his lot for a few weeks and we're heading into winter here in New England and I know they want to get rid of it, though the current deal doesn't really reflect that as of yet.

I'm going to deal hard and my getting it will be a function of how much of a deal he'll give me to move it off his lot.

Still stuck on lease vs buying though. Porsche doesn't make it any easier to lease with their money factor. I'm going to push back on that part of the deal today.
Sounds a nice car - a significant step forward. Always better to deal $ with what they have in stock. With custom orders the discounts are never as good.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:27 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Classifieds here I saw a '15 Turbo S with 2,500 miles in GT Silver for $165K if I recall in the NE.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:22 PM
FORENN
Banned

The difference in fit, finish, comfort, personality and power, of course, between 997 tt vs 991 tt is not subtle. It's very major.
Very true.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:20 PM
PLuva
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love some thoughts from the group here. Thx in advance.

The story -

My DD is a '08 997 tt - GT silver over full natural brown with all the bells. Bone stock except for EP2 exhaust and GT3 shift kit. Immaculate condition inside and out with replaced odds and ends to make new, including brand new driver's side door panel ($4k that Porsche CPO ended up covering).

It's got 49k miles on the clock and CPO has ended so while I love her, I'm starting to develop that urge for something new, which all of here struggle with often .

Thinking about leasing vs buying as I'm ideal lease candidate with only driving 5k miles a year due to travel.

That said, I never lease and always buy - preferably outright if I can, but have tried to focus on garage queen CPO cars as of late to avoid that big depreciation hit of P car purchase.

Spent about 2 hours going through this forum to get educated but still have questions.

Would love some thoughts for the 991tt/s guys here on the following:

1. Lease vs buy. Looks like most of you guys have purchased vs lease. That so? What's the current consensus of the group here re leasing 991tts?

2. Here's the opening deal my dealer is tossing at me (prior to negotiation):

- New car = 2015 991 tts in GT Silver/full black with all the bells (burmester, back up cam, carbon bits).
- MSRP = $195,915. Sale price/cap cost - $180k
- Money factor is .00230

- 5k miles @ 39 months = payment $2807/month with $4k due at signing
- 7500 miles @ 39 months = payment $2856/month with $4k due at signing
- 10k miles @ 39 months = payment $2906/month with $4k due at signing

He also offered me $61k for my 997 - but that is a sep convo to have all together.

Thoughts?

My take = it was high, especially for a left over '15 that has been on his lot for a few weeks and we are are in full fall weather and heading into winter soon here in New England.
GT Silver is nice. If I'm correct I test drove that very car. I almost pulled the trigger but couldn't get myself to do it without the new steering wheel, PCM and the gear shifter being reversed. I think I was offered $182k for the car, so I'm guessing with the 991.2 and the season, the price is only gonna go one way. I'm not trying to persuade you one way or another...I know I still think about that car. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long for the refresh to hit the Turbos.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:23 PM
bandi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like your 997tt is a 6-MT (GT-3 shift kit) so it's easily worth $70k--they're in high demand since turbo models are now all PDK. Become a member here--about $15 I think--then list on the 997tt & classified boards. Sold mine in 24 hours that way. Being free of a trade you can then carry on all negotiations via phone/email--many trips to the dealership are not in our favor! Your deal is less than 10% off; bet you can get at least 12%. Check out cars.com within an acceptable radius if you sell your 997. A little drive home in a new 991tts would be a blast!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:01 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see Plano has a '14 Turbo S for $145K, it's silver as well.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:54 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PLuva
GT Silver is nice. If I'm correct I test drove that very car. I almost pulled the trigger but couldn't get myself to do it without the new steering wheel, PCM and the gear shifter being reversed. I think I was offered $182k for the car, so I'm guessing with the 991.2 and the season, the price is only gonna go one way. I'm not trying to persuade you one way or another...I know I still think about that car. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long for the refresh to hit the Turbos.
Pluva - what do you mean when you say "without the new steering wheel, PCM and the gear shifter being reversed?"

Quick Reply: Making jump from 997.1tt to 991tts - lease/purchase question