Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

MY 2014 991 TURBO S RECEIVES CHAMPION'S NEW INTERCOOLERS & GIAC STAGE 2 PLUS TUNE!!

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation MY 2014 991 TURBO S RECEIVES CHAMPION'S NEW INTERCOOLERS & GIAC STAGE 2 PLUS TUNE!!

This week, Champion Motorsports installed its new upgraded intercoolers and the GIAC Stage 2 plus tune to match it.

While I won't post the dyno graphs of my car until Champion formally releases its upgraded intercoolers with the GIAC stage 2+ tune I will share key facts. We also found out that the IPD Y pipe will not fit the Champion IC kit and that the FVD headers I was going to install in the car made it lose power according to the testing on Champion's Dynojet dyno.

My car, which was the Europipe exhaust with 100 cell cats -- as opposed to Catless -- gained, in peak horsepower and torque, 30 wheel horsepower and 44 lbs ft of wheel torque on 93 octane pump gas. Had I used race gas such as MS109, it would have gain approximately an additional 25 wheel horsepower. But that alone does not tell the whole performance story.

Specifically, there are points in the rev range where the gap between the horsepower and torque produced by the new ICs and GIAC stage 2 plus tune and the GIAC stage 2 tune is as much as 50 wheel horsepower and 64 wheel torque in my car. That is huge. Also, as I had hoped for, the gap between the power produced by this new GIAC stage 2+ and the stage two is quite large at the higher RPMs. This is clearly, as GIAC promised, the Stage 2 plus tune not aggressively dialing back boost and timing and high rpm's as it does with the stage 2 tune and stock intercoolers to protect the intake air temperatures from getting too high.

Champion did not get a chance to test the Tubi catless race exhaust on my car versus my Europipe with high flow cats because they didn't have one in stock. That is a test I definitely want done.

As to whether my car's heat soak at events is gone I will take it to events and let you know what happens.

On pump gas of 93 octane, the Champion development 991 Turbo S, which has the Tubi catless race exhaust, produced about 10 more wheel horsepower and 35 lbs-ft more wheel torque than car which is equipped with the Europipe exhaust with 100 cell high flow cats. So it looks like the cats are costing 10 wheel horsepower and 35 lbs-ft of wheel torque but that is only an approximation because Champion did not dyno my car with the Tubi catless race exhaust because none where in stock.

While at Champion I rode (as a passenger) in a Tubi catless race exhaust equipped 991 Turbo S with these exact mods during its shakedown ride to ensure that the mods were functioning correctly. There is no question that the Europipe exhaust is quieter in terms of sound levels but still lets you hear turbo and wastegate noise and popping in sport and sport plus on letting off the gas. The Tubi catless race exhaust is much louder on cold start up and its popping/backfiring in sport and sport plus when you let off a hard throttle is significantly louder than Europipe.

The IPD Y pipe does not fit the Champion ICs unfortunately. We tried it in my car and the carbon tubes exiting the Champion ICs do not fit the IPD Y pipe. So my car did not get the IPD Y pipe installed. My car has the IPD plenum and that fits just fine.

I also had Champion install a set of FVD headers (I picked up these on my own used: Champion did not sell them) and dyno hem. Unfortunately they lost both power and torque relative to stock headers. And they lost large amounts of horsepower and torque at lower-midrange RPMs. Needless to say I am not using them and went back to stock headers. To me those headers do not work well with a GIAC tuned/Champion intercooled 991 Turbo S. I have no idea if they would work better in a car with different mods.

In terms of the number The FVD headers dropped from stock headers in both peak wheel horsepower and peak wheel torque -- drops of 7 wheel hp and 14 wheel torque. But the bigger story is that there are very large drops from stock in the lower part of the rev range. For example, at 3850 RPMs the FVD headers made 32 less wheel horsepower and 44 less wheel torque than the stock headers.

I will post the Dyno graph as soon as champion makes its formal release of its intercoolers with GIAC stage 2+. The reason is that the graph with the stock headers is my car is with the stage 2+ and the Champion intercoolers.

I am really glad I sent my car down to Champion Motorsports. They are among the best in the business in the Porsche world. If I were out west I would have used GMG Racing or HG Motorsports. If you want the most power it pays to work with a tuner rather than just an installer. Not only did they test the headers as I asked them to but they worked with GIAC to created a custom tuned version of the Stage 2 plus tune for my car which was the product of dyno testing and datalogging my car that produced one more wheel horsepower and 10 more lbs ft of wheel torque than the standard out of the box GIAC Stage 2 plus tune produced in my car.

So my conclusion is that the results were excellent but the real proof will come at events.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up sdg1871! Hope it all works out well and you achieve what you've set out to do at the strip. Main thing the increase is reliable. I'm not surprised to hear that about the headers actually but any chance of linking up Stef's comments there? I know he is a guy that does his homework properly so would be keen to hear his take. Funny how some of the AM's have quoted gains. Did champion have anything to say on that? I note you have quoted a gain with the Europipe system and assume that gain is with the stock file loaded? Can you confirm there as well?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Default MY 2014 991 TURBO S RECEIVES CHAMPION'S NEW INTERCOOLERS & GIAC STAGE 2 PLUS TUNE!!

Originally Posted by speed21
Great write up sdg1871! Hope it all works out well and you achieve what you've set out to do at the strip. Main thing the increase is reliable. I'm not surprised to hear that about the headers actually but any chance of linking up Stef's comments there? I know he is a guy that does his homework properly so would be keen to hear his take. Funny how some of the AM's have quoted gains. Did champion have anything to say on that? I note you have quoted a gain with the Europipe system and assume that gain is with the stock file loaded? Can you confirm there as well?
I will look for Stef's comments. I believe they were on 6speed. He basically said that the stock headers are double walled and retain lots of heat which is good for spooling up the turbos and that none of the aftermarket headers have double walls and that, unlike the stock headers, a result they cool down under speed and do not help performance at all. He said that when he put on aftermarket headers his 0 to 200 km per hour sprint time was unchanged. Champion did not have comments on this. They just passed on the results.

I have never simply put on the europipe without a tune and tested if there are gains. Any gains there would be would be quickly lost as the ECU adapts without a tune according to Stef. All tuner state that an aftermarket exhaust with high flow cats or catless is necessary for any of the more aggressive tunes.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:57 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Default MY 2014 991 TURBO S RECEIVES CHAMPION'S NEW INTERCOOLERS & GIAC STAGE 2 PLUS TUNE!!

Here are Stef's comments on headers.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2015, 11:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Here are Stef's comments on headers.
Thanks. It all makes sense re the header comments. On the Europipe Stef did give me figures on his system with the stock tune, gains which basically correlate with what you are getting with the Giac tune. He was reluctant to advertise any gains on the basis he was unable to achieve a superior 0 to 200 and with the though the ecu will readapt anyway. I respect people who are conservative in that regard. So many claims are made these days in a bid to get a deal over the line iykwim, and many highly questionable IMO! So at this stage other than the CF intake tubing the remainder is stock tubing other than the ipd alloy piece?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:22 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Thanks. It all makes sense re the header comments. On the Europipe Stef did give me figures on his system with the stock tune, gains which basically correlate with what you are getting with the Giac tune. He was reluctant to advertise any gains on the basis he was unable to achieve a superior 0 to 200 and with the though the ecu will readapt anyway. I respect people who are conservative in that regard. So many claims are made these days in a bid to get a deal over the line iykwim, and many highly questionable IMO! So at this stage other than the CF intake tubing the remainder is stock tubing other than the ipd alloy piece?
I have the IPD plenum. My intake is stock. With respect to the Champion ICs carbon fiber tubes connect it to the Y pipe
Old 09-12-2015, 03:58 PM
speed21
Banned

I have the IPD plenum. My intake is stock. With respect to the Champion ICs carbon fiber tubes connect it to the Y pipe
Sounds good, IC's look nice. So what's your impressions re the before's and afters? Can you feel a notable difference in comparison to how it was before, or are the new changes negligible to the butt dyno?
Old 09-12-2015, 04:55 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Sounds good, IC's look nice. So what's your impressions re the before's and afters? Can you feel a notable difference in comparison to how it was before, or are the new changes negligible to the butt dyno?
I haven't driven it yet. The car is still at Champion getting Techart paddle shifters and some maintenance work. Then I have to ship it home
Old 09-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

sdg, was that my TTs you went for a test ride in?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karl911
sdg, was that my TTs you went for a test ride in?
Nope. One that was heading overseas
Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Yeah , i running tubi catless. i like the sound. Akrapovic would be the only other one i would consider.
I did do Dyno runs at Renntech.
I want to review them with Champion tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:35 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karl911
Yeah , i running tubi catless. i like the sound. Akrapovic would be the only other one i would consider.
I did do Dyno runs at Renntech.
I want to review them with Champion tomorrow.
Hope they were what you were looking for. Does Renntech use the Mustang or the Dynojet dyno? Mustang reads like 10 percent lower than Dynojet
Old 09-13-2015, 01:38 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FVD dyno contradicts your claims.

http://www.fvd.net/us/en/Porsche-0/S...__630_HP_.html
Old 09-13-2015, 03:23 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrs
As I stated in great detail in response to a similar comment you made on another forum, I was only posting the results that the FVD headers did with my specific performance mods (GIAC Stage 2 plus, Champion intercoolers, Europipe exhaust, IPD plenum, BMC filter, Champion race diverter valves).

I have no idea whether or not the FVD headers gain power with other mods such as with the other FVD tuning mods that they are designed to work with.

And as I also said, this was simply a dyno test that I asked champion to do when considering whether to put these headers I had purchased on the car or not. They didn't ask me to do the test. I asked them to do the test because I have heard very very mixed reviews from respected tuners I know about the efficacy of aftermarket headers or lack thereof.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:43 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I stated in great detail in response to a similar comment you made on another forum, I was only posting the results that the FVD headers did with my specific performance mods (GIAC Stage 2 plus, Champion intercoolers, Europipe exhaust, IPD plenum, BMC filter, Champion race diverter valves).
This is, I think, the most important point. If GIAC doesn't recognize that there are headers on the car, it may degrade the performance.

I have no idea whether or not the FVD headers gain power with other mods such as with the other FVD tuning mods that they are designed to work with.
Well they are also designed to work with the stock ECU and FVD documents that on their website.

And as I also said, this was simply a dyno test that I asked champion to do when considering whether to put these headers I had purchased on the car or not. They didn't ask me to do the test. I asked them to do the test because I have heard very very mixed reviews from respected tuners I know about the efficacy of aftermarket headers or lack thereof.
Fair enough, you definitely don't want the headers if they conflict with other mods on the car. However, maybe GIAC has a mod to your tune for headers? Don't they have different maps for different configurations? I believe Cobb does. I am planning on getting over to Cobb sometime in the near future and talk to them about taking out my FVD module and putting on their tune. However, I am going to want to know if they need to customize a tune for my exhaust and headers.

One thing that I like about the FVD piggyback is that it senses the change in fuel without having to do anything and I get significantly better results at the drag strip when I add 104 to my 93. At COTA they now offer 101 and I ran on a mix of 101 and 93 as well as on the last run, 101 only. Unfortunately all I have for measuring the performance is overall lap times because my Vbox was unusable due to me misplacing the suction cups. The lap times are not a good measure of any difference made by the race gas.

I upgraded my phone on Friday to the Note 4. I am planning on getting Harry's lap timer and an OBD data collection module that has wifi. The Lap Timer product can manage a GoPro, take HD video through the phone, pull in the OBD data and integrate all of it in finished videos as well as giving me speeds at any point on the track. I won't need the Vbox anymore at the track but will still need it for 1/4 timing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MY 2014 991 TURBO S RECEIVES CHAMPION'S NEW INTERCOOLERS & GIAC STAGE 2 PLUS TUNE!!