Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

How-To Guides (instrument cluster and dash)

Old 09-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How-To Guides (instrument cluster and dash)

Hi All,
After seeing all of the excellent work done to MJM911's turbo s, and subsequently getting the pricing for such work, I've decided that I'm just going to save myself the cash and do it all myself. I've been unable to find information detailing how to remove the dash and the instrument cluster on a 991. I've found docs regarding just about everything else I'd need remove and reinstall (bumpers, door panels, etc). Can anyone share any info they have regarding the dash or cluster, or let me know if you've seen this info elsewhere here on Rennlist or the internet. I've search RL and google and have come up dry.

Before someone advises me against this, I've got the type of personality that constantly whispers in my ear, "if that guy can do it, so can you, and likely better!" It's worked out great for me so far, whether it be complex home improvements, teaching myself woodworking, teaching myself to sew and upholster, or figuring out how to install a 22kw 200amp standby whole-house generator and transfer switch, not much intimidates me.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I am interested in this too. Especially the cluster part. I would like to install new gauge faces, ( if I pull the trigger on the in stock car I am looking at) and I see that colored faces are available, so I am watching this thread with great interest.

Sorry I am not more helpful, but I agree, if there is a will, there is a way!

Good luck

Rich
Old 09-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Verinnal
Racer

I haven't yet found anything specific to the 991, but if it is similar to the 997 this should be all that's needed. https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...cluster-387180

Edit: after looking more closely, I believe one would first need to remove the dash trim on a 991 to expose any screws that might be holding the instrument cluster in place

Last edited by Verinnal; 09-10-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:41 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
I've search RL and google and have come up dry.
Will post a picture of the backside of instrument cluster plastic frame if I could find it somewhere on my laptop.

Anyway, it is straight forward to remove cluster assy. Only 2 screws (as I remembered) holding it, located behind front plastic surrounding frame.

To remove surrounding frame, you need to lossen/pull apart the steering wheel cover (cover right behind the wheel).
Then use those interior plastic pry tools to pull the frame straight towards you.
If you did not pull straight, the long guide plastic pin behind the cover will break.
Good news is, replacement cover is not that expensive.
DO NOT pry the edge of the frame and then try to put your fingers behind to pull the frame. Pry tools touching the dash will potentially scratch it, and not pulling straight will break the frame's guide pins.

If you have leather dash, dont worry to not scratch the leather when pulling the frame.
This frame is highly engineered, it comes with a rubber molded strip along the outer area where the frame touches the leather.

It is easier to do with steering wheel removed, just becarefull not to dislocate/dismount the steering sensor (held by the steering cover) or reprogramming the sensor might be needed.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Verinnal
Racer

This is great info. Thank you
Old 09-12-2015, 10:16 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The steering wheel must be removed to remove the column trim behind the steering wheel. The lower film trim piece is held on with two screws on the bottom, and two screws only accessible behind the steering wheel. There are also two access points to push the retaining clips holding the top trim piece in place behind the wheel out as well.

Reason I know is I am replacing my plastic column trim with leather covered pieces from Exclusive Option. I wish it was as easy as was posted above, but you gotta remove the wheel, which necessitates removing the airbag to access the nut holding the wheel on the steering column.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
The steering wheel must be removed to remove the column trim behind the steering wheel. The lower film trim piece is held on with two screws on the bottom, and two screws only accessible behind the steering wheel. There are also two access points to push the retaining clips holding the top trim piece in place behind the wheel out as well.

Reason I know is I am replacing my plastic column trim with leather covered pieces from Exclusive Option. I wish it was as easy as was posted above, but you gotta remove the wheel, which necessitates removing the airbag to access the nut holding the wheel on the steering column.
You can turn the wheel 90 degrees to either side and access the two screws. I replaced my column with Exclusive Option parts without removing the wheel.

- Patrick
Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Verinnal
Racer

I should be picking up my car by Monday at the latest, and I've ordered everything I need to get it set up with PPF, laser and radar countermeasures, and tints. Hopefully I'll motivate and will take detailed pics as I go. I intend on pulling most of the car apart to do things the "right way," so if I see anything that needs particular attention or caution, I'll at least make note of those things and report back here. If I do get motivated, I'll start a new thread with all of the mods on the car as I do them and how I did them. It will likely be a several month project as I intend to do a full detail, including wet sanding any factory orange peel prior to polishing and applying the film. Should be very fun and interesting.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by PMNewton
You can turn the wheel 90 degrees to either side and access the two screws. I replaced my column with Exclusive Option parts without removing the wheel.

- Patrick
Good to know......I sent you a PM.

Op: here is a good reference to note in case you need to get into the trim like a pillar covers, fuse pael surrounds, etc.

https://www.rdforum.org/showthread.p...457&highlight=
Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Holy mother of awesome. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 PM
991TurboS
Racer

You are welcome......I found it very helpful when I installed my radar/laser system and my front/rear dash cam system.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't even plan on installing a RR/LD and I feel deeply indebted. That's one hell of a nice tutorial. I sure hope you set a trend for others (and keep going). Can I convince you you start purchasing, installing, testing, and documenting car modifications next? :P
Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Excellent write up. This will save members time money and aggravation.

Very grateful!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
I don't even plan on installing a RR/LD and I feel deeply indebted. That's one hell of a nice tutorial. I sure hope you set a trend for others (and keep going). Can I convince you you start purchasing, installing, testing, and documenting car modifications next? :P
Like rear bumper removal with exact location of each bolt:-)
Old 01-08-2023, 02:10 PM
DoctorJ
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To Guides (instrument cluster and dash)