Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Launch Control -- Never Used???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:59 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread brings up my thoughts of why I wont buy a TTS. I really keep thinking I want one but there are just too many gimmicks in the cars. A prime example is when I purchased the Sport Chrono for the first time. It was another gimmick and provided nothing after one use. The LC is another I feel I wont really ever use except to entertain someone on maybe 4 or 5 occasions. My real issue is that I have PDK in my Panamera and it is perfect for THAT vehicle but I love to interact with my sports cars. If Porsche would make a Turbo with Manual again, I would be first in line to order one today. I held out hoping it would change but now I have decided to just buy whatever is available such as a GTS Cab. I dont see myself stepping into a Turbo anytime soon unless I begin to have issues with manuals.
You gentlemen enjoy the Turbo, I need a different experience.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:21 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My advice.. Drive the 991 GTS then demo the TTS. I swore I would never drive an automatic in my lifetime with manuals since 1965. After 2 hrs in the Turbo S I will never go back to a manual. I have just as much fun using the paddle shifters as I did with the clutch.

Plus, the GTS will feel slow once you experience the Turbo.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Nick Kapoor
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
This thread brings up my thoughts of why I wont buy a TTS. I really keep thinking I want one but there are just too many gimmicks in the cars. A prime example is when I purchased the Sport Chrono for the first time. It was another gimmick and provided nothing after one use. The LC is another I feel I wont really ever use except to entertain someone on maybe 4 or 5 occasions. My real issue is that I have PDK in my Panamera and it is perfect for THAT vehicle but I love to interact with my sports cars. If Porsche would make a Turbo with Manual again, I would be first in line to order one today. I held out hoping it would change but now I have decided to just buy whatever is available such as a GTS Cab. I dont see myself stepping into a Turbo anytime soon unless I begin to have issues with manuals.
I can see your point of view on how many times you will use Lc.

On manual shifting: in my decision making process I didn't think I could switch gears as fast as the pdk and if I do want the control I can switch it to manual. I don't see what the big thing about an extra foot pedal is. Once again not everyone subscribes to that view. In any case the GTS is a very good sports car: test drove it many times and almost bought it.

The biggest problem I had was with the choices that are available in the 911 brand. Seems your decision making process is a lot simpler than the one I went through. Cheers.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't go back to stick, which I've been on for 43 years...and I love this launch control thing!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 PM
cabman4007
Racer

The car is great fun to drive! I can actually pay more attention to the road without having to worry about what gear I need to be in. I use the auto mode with the paddle shifters. When I decide to stop using paddles it automatically takes over. Best scenario of all. I easily took a corner at 110 mph that scared me at 90 mph on my 997 Manual TT gen1. I would never consider a GT3 now that I have put miles on the TTS. I cannot think of any negatives concerning this car. Agreed it is not cheap but is a great buy for the money if it is in one's budget.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

This thread brings up my thoughts of why I wont buy a TTS. I really keep thinking I want one but there are just too many gimmicks in the cars. A prime example is when I purchased the Sport Chrono for the first time. It was another gimmick and provided nothing after one use.
You are mis-informed about Sport Chrono on the 991. In addition to LC and the dumb-*** clock wart on the dash (which, like the mother of an ugly child, I'm starting to be ok after a while with how it looks), this option includes dynamic transmission mounts which are both something you can feel and are used when in non-normal mode.

That is true for all 911s. For the Turbo, SC also includes "over-boost" in Sport mode which adds 37 ft-lbs of torque. And that you can feel.

So, bottom line, SC is not a one-trick pony.

(* Pedants will note that the "motorsport derived gearshift strategy" is also a feature of sport-plus mode. It's useless off the track, IMO so I put it in the category of LC: gimmicky.)

My real issue is that I have PDK in my Panamera and it is perfect for THAT vehicle but I love to interact with my sports cars. If Porsche would make a Turbo with Manual again, I would be first in line to order one today. I held out hoping it would change but now I have decided to just buy whatever is available such as a GTS Cab. I dont see myself stepping into a Turbo anytime soon unless I begin to have issues with manuals.
... wait... (gotta zip up my nomex flame suit) ...

You are confusing the Turbo with a sports car. It's a GT (Grand Turing) car now. The sports cars are the NA 911 and GT3 (and don't forget the 981 and GT4). If you want Turbo-like performance in a Sports Car you've got to move sideways to the GT3.

People confuse the 911 Turbo with a Sports Car simply because it is the best damn GT car in the world.

Flame suit on..
Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

There are all kinds of things one could tell himself to make him feel better about not owning a 911 Turbo. *Too many gimmicks* is one, I suppose, although neither SC nor LC is unique to the Turbo. And PDK sure isn't either. So I'm not sure what the Turbo-specific gimmicks are, but maybe I just don't notice them while I'm hanging on for dear life as I fly down the road.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:29 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no rational reasons to buy a sports car, let along a Porsche.

Whether it's a childhood dream, heritage, legacy, badge, handling, speed, looks, sound or acceleration... all are emotional reasons. Tick whatever makes you happy as you follow your heart.

I love all 911s, 981s and the 918... but I know I'm very happy with my choice. And I'm glad you are, too.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen
There are no rational reasons to buy a sports car, let along a Porsche. Whether it's a childhood dream, heritage, legacy, badge, handling, speed, looks, sound or acceleration... all are emotional reasons. Tick whatever makes you happy as you follow your heart. I love all 911s, 981s and the 918... but I know I'm very happy with my choice. And I'm glad you are, too.
Agreed. A Prius will get you from A to B, carry more cargo and use less fuel. It also costs much less to buy and maintain. As transportation, the Prius makes much better sense over just about any Porsche. But with a Porsche, you're buying entertainment. How much that entertainment is worth and what form that takes (911? Turbo? GT3? Ferrari? PTV? SC?) is up to the buyer. Most of us have a budget. For me, a lightly optioned turbo satisfies 100% of my need for automotive entertainment while also meeting my budget for this vehicle's intended use. When you view it as entertainment, you can see how your budget for a Porsche might compete for dollars you might spend on a boat or other vehicle. When you get to TTS pricing, and a highly optioned one, you look at the bottom line of $200k+ and realize that if the purpose of the car is purely or mostly entertainment, then a similarly priced used Ferrari can also be considered. In other words, for me, a TTS starts to look like Ferrari money. I wouldn't really want to DD a Ferrari like I would a Porsche, however, so for me the non-S is the right choice. And the price delta between an S and non-S can be as much as $40-60k (not similarly optioned, of course), so you could buy a non-S and with the leftover money buy any number of fairly nice cars to drive for other purposes.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:31 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the insights gents on the PDK and gimmick statements. I love Porsche and have all of my life. I just enjoy the MT vehicles better for my experience. I don't race my Porsche's or speed excessively so I would not be using the LC feature but once in awhile. I see my self as only wanting the TTS and a manual for the interaction with the auto. If I were going to the track them maybe just maybe it might be advantageous for the PDK. Basically, I don't need PDK as I don't drive extremely spirited in this large city. Once on the open highway it would not really matter as I would already be up to speed.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cabman4007
Thanks but lesson learned. These car produce G Forces that can be deadly for older seniors and individuals with bad hearts. I got real scared and got to the local ER quickly without using the turbo thrust.

All turned out well, thank goodness. He teases me about it all the time and I threaten him,, Pop, lets take a ride,,lol
Well it appears cardiologists are susceptible to non LC acceleration. My wife and I are friends with her cardiologist and his wife. We play tennis together and his wife is VERY COMPETITIVE. We had finished playing tennis and were headed to this restaurant they were keen on for brunch. The road was one with twistys and some wide space and since we were in two cars, my 991tts and his wife's ML 350, his wife decided to pass me. She hauls *** around me at about 85 so I just gun it from 60 and like that I am at 105 and she is in the rearview but her husband just about soiled his pants. He was scared to death. He says, please don't ever do that again.

Well the last time we were out with them, he tells the group the story but he says," now I want to do it again. It was scary but I have decided it was fun." He had recommended my wife not ride with me anymore since it might be hard on her heart. LOL! Anyway now he took back that recommendation and so she rides with me in the TTS once again.

LC is great for dragging but I don't use it around town because there isn't any room to do it.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Originally Posted by wrs
Well it appears cardiologists are susceptible to non LC acceleration. My wife and I are friends with her cardiologist and his wife. We play tennis together and his wife is VERY COMPETITIVE. We had finished playing tennis and were headed to this restaurant they were keen on for brunch. The road was one with twistys and some wide space and since we were in two cars, my 991tts and his wife's ML 350, his wife decided to pass me. She hauls *** around me at about 85 so I just gun it from 60 and like that I am at 105 and she is in the rearview but her husband just about soiled his pants. He was scared to death. He says, please don't ever do that again.

Well the last time we were out with them, he tells the group the story but he says," now I want to do it again. It was scary but I have decided it was fun." He had recommended my wife not ride with me anymore since it might be hard on her heart. LOL! Anyway now he took back that recommendation and so she rides with me in the TTS once again.

LC is great for dragging but I don't use it around town because there isn't any room to do it.
I am not an Attorney but wonder with what we know about the G-Forces produced with LC if we could be charged with Manslaughter if God forbid someone did have a fatal heart attack in the Turbo? Scary to think about.

The best solution is take it easy whenever we have a passenger. After the scare I went through I hardly get into the turbos when someone is beside me.

I really do not want to be the "test case" because someone fell i ll to the ferociousness of the beast I drive.

Just food for thought.

On the otherhand it may save your life in a car-jacking.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:58 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

After 6300 KM and four months of ownership, yesterday I launched the car for the first time using Launch Control... the circumstances were right.

And yes, it's brutally wonderful acceleration. Somehow I felt dizzy afterwards for few minutes despite having the seat in the proper position with my body and head. I'm 43 years only. I had a passenger with me who had an emotional orgasm from excitement.

To those who didn't try it... Just do it. It sounds scary, but in the end it's just like dropping the clutch at high revs in MT but without the burn out and without stressing the engine. Yes, believe me the engine doesn't sound stressed. The LC just tells the car to launch in precision without drama.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:25 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

I am not defending Turbo vs Non turbo, to each his own on that. Only comment that is mentioned is "if the Turbo came in manual I would own one". I would say keep your money. I beleive that most mere mortals that just drive around town and on spirited drives cannot manaully shift the car fast enough to get out the added performance. Stick with a GTS and the experience will be all the same. From my experience even in manual mode with the paddles that 1-2 shift is really hard to get right. Just so fast.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:28 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen
After 6300 KM and four months of ownership, yesterday I launched the car for the first time using Launch Control... the circumstances were right.

And yes, it's brutally wonderful acceleration. Somehow I felt dizzy afterwards for few minutes despite having the seat in the proper position with my body and head. I'm 43 years only. I had a passenger with me who had an emotional orgasm from excitement.

To those who didn't try it... Just do it. It sounds scary, but in the end it's just like dropping the clutch at high revs in MT but without the burn out and without stressing the engine. Yes, believe me the engine doesn't sound stressed. The LC just tells the car to launch in precision without drama.
Yep, same experience. For those that are leary because they think the car will get out of control, watch the 50 LC youtube video. The car literally drives itself. You could do LC with no hands, he does it in the video. It is so fun.

Quick Reply: Launch Control -- Never Used???