991 or 991.2 quandary - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

991 or 991.2 quandary

 
Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 PM
  #1  
Thanaway
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Default 991 or 991.2 quandary

Ok, I'm stewing.
After multiple corvettes, I have my first Porsche on order. 2016 turbo s cabriolet. I have about 10 days before build goes hard.

All the postulating has me wondering. I realize theirs no "right" answer but I'd like to hear others thoughts.

Let current build proceed and get car in November.
Cancel order and roll over deposit for the upcoming 991.2.

I could always get this car and trade in two or three years, but that seems like a pretty big hit. Also, I'm 68 and, of course, have no idea of what the future holds. Buying the current model gives me a car in November. Waiting probably means next summer.

I guess my biggest concern is not wanting to be sitting next January/February thinking "gee, I wish".

Thanks for your thoughts.
Tom H.
Thanaway is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM
  #2  
bshah1976
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 270
Default

Life is short. Play hard. Get your build and enjoy what you deserve...and that is the 2016 in a few months. The first time you drive it (and maybe use launch control) you will be happy you are not waiting and instead are driving.
bshah1976 is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM
  #3  
FORENN
was Es macht nichts
Rennlist Member
 
FORENN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,722
Default

--

Last edited by FORENN; 10-18-2015 at 11:36 AM.
FORENN is online now  
Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM
  #4  
FergusH
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 641
Default

My advice is kinda in the middle of waiting and not: I'd wait until mid-September when Porsche will announce the new cars at the Frankfurt Motor Show. If they announce the new turbo, then you'll have enough info to make a decision; if they don't, just buy the current one and enjoy it. That's at least what I'd do.
FergusH is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:39 PM
  #5  
sshu930
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 57
Default

I suggest to try to find one now so you can start driving the car immediately. You may compromise on a couple of options but you can be driving one now and I wouldn't be afraid to go out of state to find it. If you are not able to find one now then I would wait for a the .2 assuming you can get a similar discount as you have been offered. You are already waiting 3 months for your build to finish assuming there are no delays, 3 months more to wait is nothing.
sshu930 is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 AM
  #6  
sdg1871
User
 
sdg1871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 788
Default 991 or 991.2 quandary

I think the improvements between the 991 and the 991.2 will be incremental and not a quantum leap. The body looks virtually identical. The engine may be .2 L bigger and maybe produce another 40 hp. The PCM display will be slightly bigger and the steering wheel will be much nicer. As I understand it that's pretty much it.

I also understand from my dealer that there will be about an 18 month gap between the end of 991 Turbo production and the beginning of 991.2 turbo production.
sdg1871 is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 01:13 AM
  #7  
FBA
User
 
FBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: 57.765278 -70.730556
Posts: 255
Default

I just got my 2015 TTS on July 13th, knowing there was a .2 coming. I never looked back and if and when the .2 hits, I may take one for a test drive and decide then if I'll want to trade the 2016. Meantime, I'm enjoying the **** outta my 2016!
FBA is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 AM
  #8  
speed21
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,453
Default

I understand the quandry. 12 months is not a long time from now. Maybe pick up one to go now, or even used? Ordering and waiting another few months places you too close to .2 imo.
speed21 is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
  #9  
Thanaway
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Default

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. I'm going to talk with dealer today to explore options. Depending on delivery dates, I may reschedule my order. If so, I'll look at used from same dealer as a temp solution.

BTW Paul ( speed21), in my short time here, I find I value your posts.
So here's my chance to return the favor. I always thought the word was "quandry". Turns out spell check and subsequent dictionary show it really is "quandary" ;^)

Tom H.
Thanaway is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 06:22 PM
  #10  
FORENN
was Es macht nichts
Rennlist Member
 
FORENN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,722
Default

--

Last edited by FORENN; 10-18-2015 at 11:36 AM.
FORENN is online now  
Old 08-22-2015, 08:20 PM
  #11  
worldattorney
User
 
worldattorney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 168
Default

In a little over a month from now, I'm picking up my 991.1TTS....the .1 is tried and true and battle-tested and beta-bug-free. I know exactly what I'm getting. If I get the 'maybe I shoulda's and if 40something more horsepower are needed , I know where to get an exhaust and re-flash to keep it competitive....
worldattorney is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:47 PM
  #12  
Nick Kapoor
New User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Default

There is no difference in 2015 or 2016 tts except you could get a great deal on a 2015. Drive it for 2 years and then decide if you want 991.2 since it would be out for 1 year and some key bugs of .2 would be fixed. This way you will save on getting a tts and drive what is current and be able to weigh your options in 2017.
Nick Kapoor is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 PM
  #13  
speed21
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,453
Default

Originally Posted by Thanaway View Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. I'm going to talk with dealer today to explore options. Depending on delivery dates, I may reschedule my order. If so, I'll look at used from same dealer as a temp solution.

BTW Paul ( speed21), in my short time here, I find I value your posts.
So here's my chance to return the favor. I always thought the word was "quandry". Turns out spell check and subsequent dictionary show it really is "quandary" ;^)

Tom H.
Thanks Tom. I got the red SC flag at the time but pressed on regardless....oh well, my bad. Re the quandary: the .1 is indeed a flawless package but .2 will be a better car and have 3 years of model life at the top of the pile. Waiting can be painful but 12 months passes very quickly I have found. Months on from now when more detail is released on the new car prices will start edging back. I feel if you were driving your pre ordered 2015 off the lot today it would be a different story but its now the last 1/4 so you wont see an order until 2016 anyway, needless to add you would want it plated 2016 anyway. If you can pick up a new or near new one right now to tie yourself over for the next 12 months with an option of trading out for a 2017 order that would be the best move. The 2017 will have 3 years of solid life and hold more attraction in the market until the next gen. 2015's will be then 2 models back and will reflect that in pricing.
speed21 is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 01:32 AM
  #14  
FBA
User
 
FBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: 57.765278 -70.730556
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by worldattorney View Post
In a little over a month from now, I'm picking up my 991.1TTS....the .1 is tried and true and battle-tested and beta-bug-free. I know exactly what I'm getting. If I get the 'maybe I shoulda's and if 40something more horsepower are needed , I know where to get an exhaust and re-flash to keep it competitive....
Here's what I did:

Fabspeed headers
Fabspeed exhaust
IPD Plenum
Techart lowering springs (30mm)
ADV1 Track Spec 5.0 CD wheels (20")
Cobb Tuning Access Port 3 tuner w/ Stage 2 93 Octane (did it myself in 5 minutes)

That's more like 110+ HP over stock, and you can feel it!

Here it is:







FBA is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 AM
  #15  
TRBON8R
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by FBA View Post
Here's what I did:

Fabspeed headers
Fabspeed exhaust
IPD Plenum
Techart lowering springs (30mm)
ADV1 Track Spec 5.0 CD wheels (20")
Cobb Tuning Access Port 3 tuner w/ Stage 2 93 Octane (did it myself in 5 minutes)

That's more like 110+ HP over stock, and you can feel it!
Very NICE!
TRBON8R is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 or 991.2 quandary


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: