Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Own a 15 turbo, trade for GT3?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/886421-own-a-15-turbo-trade-for-gt3.html)

viperz06 08-02-2015 09:25 PM

Own a 15 turbo, trade for GT3??

Kind of new to Porsche have a 15 turbo. Have an opportunity to order a 16 GT3 and trade the turbo. I don't know what to do? Last car was ZR1. I know some of you own both. I am not a track guy and like I said pretty new to Porsche. Need your honest input. Can't have both.

pyramid 08-02-2015 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 12479846)
Kind of new to Porsche have a 15 turbo. Have an opportunity to order a 16 GT3 and trade the turbo. I don't know what to do? Last car was ZR1. I know some of you own both. I am not a track guy and like I said pretty new to Porsche. Need your honest input. Can't have both.

Trade it for 991.2 TTS if you can wait.

Need4S 08-02-2015 11:24 PM

Turbo has more usable torque than the GT3, but the GT3 revs higher and handles a bit better (though much of the difference in grip is due to the GT3's Sport Cup2 tires). If you have no intent in tracking, the Turbo is the better choice. The Turbo could still be a better choice for track, but the GT3 is a bit more engaging, and easier to make small changes in throttle near the limit. Keep the Turbo, but realize that its depreciation is likely to be more rapid than the GT3's.

HassaanAbdeen 08-03-2015 04:12 AM

If you switch from turbo to GT3, the first thing that will hit you is the driving comfort. The turbo is extremely comfortable on the road with high ground clearance and approach angle. The GT3 is a great car but not close to the turbo's daily driving comfort.

GT3 and turbo owners cross shop between them at times. Both are great cars, but one is more track focused and the other is more streets comfy.

Good luck

NVRANUF 08-03-2015 09:07 AM

I went from GT3 -> Turbo and would never consider going back.
Both are great cars in their environment and I'm happy to have had the GT3 experience.... everyone should! ;)

For me a Turbo is by far the better car.

:cheers:

PMNewton 08-03-2015 12:24 PM

I ultimately made the decision to trade in my 981 BS because I didn't like the lack of torque and inability to performance mod. Personally, I couldn't take a 50% torque hit around town just for another few 10ths around a road course.

- Patrick

boxer-11 08-03-2015 01:37 PM

I use my 991TT as both DD and track day toy at present. I'm in the category of wanting a GT3 to add to my garage so it can do track day duties. For me that's about the NA engine and pure RWD configuration as a new/different challenge. I know I end up passing a lot of GT3's at local PCA DE events so the Turbo is no slouch on the track -- I stay with them in the twisties and the TT is prodigous once you get the wheels pointed straight ;)

If I didn't want to drive on the track, I can't imagine why a GT3 would be better over the Turbo....maybe because getting GT3's is akin to hunting for something as rare as hen's teeth at the moment and there's value in that scarcity?? The TT is (for me) the ultimate road going 911 while a GT car that doesn't see track time seems...odd. Put another way, if there were no tracks in the world to play with I'd go with the TT if only to get the niceties like PAS and so forth that aren't available on the GT cars; these things make the TT more civilized on the road.

kyrocks 08-03-2015 04:03 PM

GT3 is more of a drivers car. You also won't lose tons of money (if any) if you buy a GT3 and don't like it. It is a more special car. Louder, visceral, stiffer, more precise.

With that being said, if you don't track the GT3 is kind of wasted on you. The Turbo is faster in a straight line, has tons of torque, is easier to drive and get in and out of, and has 4 seats.

I personally would pick the GT3 without question but from your description it sounds like the turbo is a better choice for you. You can't go wrong with either. I'll say it again, if you buy the GT3 and don't like it you can sell it for no loss or very little and order your 991.2 Turbo any day.

AndrewP 08-04-2015 11:27 AM

991 TT/TTS is a versatile car and its torque is available without the drama of an NA engine. No question that the GT3 may be more engaging and its sound is incredible, although on public roads clearance could be a factor, as would its relatively less compliant ride if touring. Even if you do track the TTS is a good choice, IMO. Aftermarket value of the GT3 is very likely to be much firmer than the TTS so if it is to be a short term ownership the GT3 is the way to go. I could have gone for a GT3 when I ordered the TTS, but after 8000 miles with my '15 TTS including track days in the past year, I have no regrets. Actually fun on track with 991 GT3's. They don't automatically have better times than the TTS, although tend to have an easier time cornering. If you do get a GT3 and track it, do not expect to outrun the TTS's even on short straights.

Need4S 08-04-2015 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewP (Post 12483389)
991 TT/TTS is a versatile car and its torque is available without the drama of an NA engine. No question that the GT3 may be more engaging and its sound is incredible, although on public roads clearance could be a factor, as would its relatively less compliant ride if touring. Even if you do track the TTS is a good choice, IMO. Aftermarket value of the GT3 is very likely to be much firmer than the TTS so if it is to be a short term ownership the GT3 is the way to go. I could have gone for a GT3 when I ordered the TTS, but after 8000 miles with my '15 TTS including track days in the past year, I have no regrets. Actually fun on track with 991 GT3's. They don't automatically have better times than the TTS, although tend to have an easier time cornering. If you do get a GT3 and track it, do not expect to outrun the TTS's even on short straights.

+1. The principal advantage of the N/A engine is that it's easier to modulate near the limits of cornering. But how many of us push our cars that hard even on track days (recognizing they're all relatively expensive and if you break it, it's on you)? Much easier to corner within a decent margin and make up some time by blasting down the straights. An advanced driver can probably push a GT3 to better times than a TTS, but would need to use their skills to dance closer to the edge.

ronner 08-05-2015 03:01 AM

Just traded my 2015 GT3 and Got a 2015 Turbo S Cab. For me, a 99% street driver, needing low-end torque, amenities, speed, it's no contest. The GT3 was very loud all the time, harsh, and for very little gain below the absolute limit, if at all. I know hard cores will swear by the GT3, but for me, living in sunny california, the Turbo S Cab is just so fast and agile...and fun!

sdg1871 08-05-2015 07:29 AM

Own a 15 turbo, trade for GT3??

If you car about resale value Then go GT3. For daily driving obviously the TTS with its greater ground clearance, approach angle, more
Comfy ride and much greater low end torque (as well as power) is the better car. For pure cornering on track GT3 is better but you can erase much of that advantage by getting R compound tires (MPSC2, R888, Trofeo R) on a TTS and lowering the car. And in the straights the TTS is much faster. Plus with a tune and exhaust you can easily add 80-90 bhp more on TTS (and more like 120-130 with MS109). With the intercoolers and a revised tune coming out shortly my guess is that will be 120-130 more bhp on pump and 160-170 more on race gas. You cannot do that with a GT3.

kyrocks 08-05-2015 03:35 PM

this is a turbo forum of course...duh, what kind of responses would you expect?
Post in the GT3 forum and you'll get the opposite. There is no right answer. Get what suits you best. I love both.

jyupitt1 08-05-2015 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 12485673)
If you car about resale value Then go GT3. For daily driving obviously the TTS with its greater ground clearance, approach angle, more
Comfy ride and much greater low end torque (as well as power) is the better car. For pure cornering on track GT3 is better but you can erase much of that advantage by getting R compound tires (MPSC2, R888, Trofeo R) on a TTS and lowering the car. And in the straights the TTS is much faster. Plus with a tune and exhaust you can easily add 80-90 bhp more on TTS (and more like 120-130 with MS109). With the intercoolers and a revised tune coming out shortly my guess is that will be 120-130 more bhp on pump and 160-170 more on race gas. You cannot do that with a GT3.

There is another tune coming out after the Giac stage 2 with just an exhaust? Any idea what the ETA would be?

speed21 08-05-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 12479846)

Sounds like you don't have a decent exhaust on it. After driving both there is no way known would ever I swap my TTS for a GT3. Sure you will get more looks in an F or L car but neither are as practical. The TTS is the ultimate stealth bomber for the street IMHO. Get the tts sorted and then make a decision.